Quick and Easy Way to Guage Splatfest "Winner"

GuyPerfect

Inkling
NNID
GuyPerfect
So Roller Coasters was less popular with only 46% of the votes. Google obviously isn't a magic 8-ball for team popularity.

On the other hand, Roller Coasters won Splatfest thanks to 53% of the wins, meaning the OP's original prediction is still technically true.

The only thing left to happen is that the "popularity contest" crybabies get to shut up. (-:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
So Roller Coasters was less popular with only 46% of the votes. Google obviously isn't a magic 8-ball for team popularity.

On the other hand, Roller Coasters won Splatfest thanks to 53% of the wins, meaning the OP's original prediction is still technically true.

The only thing left to happen is that the "popularity contest" crybabies get to shut up. (-:
Thats because Google trends is somewhat predicated by the news. And there are just more Roller Coaster accidents and new roller coaster attractions in the news than water slides. That is why its higher.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Thats because Google trends is somewhat predicated by the news. And there are just more Roller Coaster accidents and new roller coaster attractions in the news than water slides. That is why its higher.
Well that and it is a higher researched term. There are sites dedicated to roller coasters. People who study the highest roller coasters. Games and documentaries about roller coasters, etc. Water slides don't have such a community and allure.

1 out of 4 or 5 times that the less popular group has lost still shows a pattern, bud. People have done the math showing the less poplar team is at a disadvantage not just because of scoring and win ratios but because the matchmaking is more likely to create incomplete teams of the less popular team compared to the most popular team. At the end of the day it is about whether it is fun or not. Matches where you are stuck at spawn aren't fun, but they have been working to fix it as much as they can. When does the Europe Splatfest end? In a few hours?

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Big whoop. Who cares?
People will always stay biased toward something so why not just let them decide for themselves. The better team has a better chance of winning anyways.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
1 out of 4 or 5 times that the less popular group has lost still shows a pattern, bud.
It really doesn't. A sample of n = 5 is way, way too few to call it a statistical significance here instead of actual randomness. This has so far not proven anything.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
By that logic, we'll be more likely to win if we pick Callie's team.
It really doesn't. A sample of n = 5 is way, way too few to call it a statistical significance here instead of actual randomness. This has so far not proven anything.
Keep on watching. Splatfests are still new so we have not had many. If they don't do anymore splatfest-altering patches the popular team will always have an inherent advantage, especially the larger the gap in popularity because of how it deals with teams that it can't fill up. I don't see a way how they could even fix that- it's out of their hands how big the gap is in popularity.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very interesting method, I think it's worked so far but it does need some tweaking. Although I do prefer just picking over preference than being guaranteed a win, that way I actually feel motivated to try. :P

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Very interesting method, I think it's worked so far but it does need some tweaking. Although I do prefer just picking over preference than being guaranteed a win, that way I actually feel motivated to try. :p
Team Coaster lost to Team Waterslide in terms of popularity, yet if Google Trends were to be believed, Team Coaster should have won by a landslide. So no, it hasn't worked so far, and it's not going to work because the number of searches doesn't necessarily represent popularity, nor does it factor in demographics.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Team Coaster lost to Team Waterslide in terms of popularity, yet if Google Trends were to be believed, Team Coaster should have won by a landslide. So no, it hasn't worked so far, and it's not going to work because the number of searches doesn't necessarily represent popularity, nor does it factor in demographics.
Like I said, it needs tweaking, and if coasters won I consider it working enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom