Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Blasters and Rollers are EVERYWHERE. Tower definitely favors blasters because of the splash damage that can go over the whole tower and get kills easy. :/ But idk how you are playing the Dynamo Roller because every time there's a Dynamo Roller on the enemy team, the ranged attack just flings massive amounts of ink and destroys everyone on the tower pretty much. I'd say the Dynamo is one of the best weapons for Tower. Maybe
The roll attack does nothing. You just bump into them and die.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
The roll attack does nothing. You just bump into them and die.
If you're using the carbon roller then yes, you die. I've been using Krak-on exclusively as of late and i've always managed to kill with in ON the tower if I have to.

I doubt people use the Dynamo for rolling anyway (I'm assuming that's the weapon you was arguing against).

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
The thing about Tower Control is that a team wipe can be devastating.

I prefer SplatZones because it's not as hectic and I prefer to be a bit sneaky when playing as opposed to having constant action.

Some observations:

- Mains that seem good for the majority of maps Inkzooka/Kraken/Killer Wail/Bomb Rush
- Bubbler might be a bad option on maps where you can get knocked off the map.
- Mains that seem awful for this mode are Echolocation/Inkstrike - mainly because the mode is so hectic that other main abilities seem just better. Inkstrike is just too slow to catch anyone offguard while Echolocation while 4 people are grouped together isn't going to make a major difference.

- Subs that seem awesome in most situation are Beacons/SuctionBombs/Disruptors/SplatBombs
- Subs that might be good on certain maps would be Burst Bombs since on certain maps they can knock you off the map
- Subs that appear to be useless are Seekers/Point Sensors/Sprinklers
- Ink Walls are situational from the look of things
- Mines might be awesome since you know exactly which path most of the enemies will take

- In terms of gear Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump, Cold Blooded are not the best options for this mode since there is no point to be coy in this mode.
I haven't dabbled too much in other abilities like Recon, Opening Gambit, Last-Ditch Effort and Bomb Sniffer

I'm still maining Krak-On - Kraken is godly in Tower Mode since it's ensures you can remain on the tower for a period of time without the opposition being able to do anything to stop you. People also don't seem to concentrate on clearing out Beacons because they are too concentrated on gaining control over the tower.

Also I finally have a reason to use my only gear that has 3 same sub abilities:

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
I decided to get back into the swing of using the Inkbrush at the same time as trying Tower Control for the first time. Yeah, my teammates probably hated me...

I've only played one rotation, Urchin Underpass and Saltspray Rig (and I'm pretty sure the ratio was not 50:50...It was Urchin like 90% of the time?)

I think it's super fun. It does feel a bit weird as a ranked mode but I can kind of see how it'd be be more tactical with practice. Stealth Jump does feel like a must, but I found myself really missing Ink Resistance afterwards, just for the split-second moments where one little step could have given me the chance to maneuver away. Overall I lost a lot, and I think a lot of those losses can be attributed to me, but there were some matches where I felt I really contributed. It went better when I played more of a supporting role (Inkbrush on the tower...maybe not such a great idea...?)

I should probably pick a different weapon but gimmicks are my thing, so I'm going to stick with it for now, since it's what I have most fun with. (Sorry team...)

Edit:

- Mains that seem awful for this mode are Echolocation/Inkstrike - mainly because the mode is so hectic that other main abilities seem just better. Inkstrike is just too slow to catch anyone offguard while Echolocation while 4 people are grouped together isn't going to make a major difference.
I agree other specials are better, but Inkstrike has its uses. You can time it right it could help you advance (by aiming it just ahead of your tower) or halt the enemy's advance (by aiming it just ahead of their tower and letting them run into it or at least force them to jump off)

Though again it's definitely not the best, you can use the sprinkler to distract/annoy enemies, especially by throwing it on the tower - it'll at least distract the enemy for a moment.

Edit edit:

The tune is stuck in my head

Last edited:

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
The thing about Tower Control is that a team wipe can be devastating.

I prefer SplatZones because it's not as hectic and I prefer to be a bit sneaky when playing as opposed to having constant action.

Some observations:

- Mains that seem good for the majority of maps Inkzooka/Kraken/Killer Wail/Bomb Rush
- Bubbler might be a bad option on maps where you can get knocked off the map.

- Subs that seem awesome in most situation are Beacons/SuctionBombs/Disruptors/SplatBombs
- Subs that might be good on certain maps would be Burst Bombs since on certain maps they can knock you off the map
- Ink Walls are situational from the look of things
- Mines might be awesome since you know exactly which path most of the enemies will take

- In terms of gear Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump, Cold Blooded are not the best options for this mode since there is no point to be coy in this mode.
I haven't dabbled too much in other abilities like Recon, Opening Gambit, Last-Ditch Effort and Bomb Sniffer

I'm still maining Krak-On - Kraken is godly in Tower Mode since it's ensures you can remain on the tower for a period of time without the opposition being able to do anything to stop you. People also don't seem to concentrate on clearing out Beacons because they are too concentrated on gaining control over the tower.

Also I finally have a reason to use my only gear that has 3 same sub abilities:
I'm a Krak-on Roller main, but I find the Tentatek extremely useful. I haven't even used the Roller on Tower Control yet... I'll give it a try tonight. By the way, how long are your respawn times with the 3 reduction sub perks?

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
I'm a Krak-on Roller main, but I find the Tentatek extremely useful. I haven't even used the Roller on Tower Control yet... I'll give it a try tonight. By the way, how long are your respawn times with the 3 reduction sub perks?
I'm guessing faster than normal - haven't timed it but Tower Control is all about dying :D

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Another thing is that people NEVER check their surroundings since they're so focused on the tower. I've caught many people off guard because of that. XD It's hilarious.
I am B+ and beat a solid all A+ team because no one was checking their backs. LOL

Sol64

In terms of gear Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump, Cold Blooded are not the best options for this mode since there is no point to be coy in this mode.

Are you sure? I have yet to try Ninja Jump, at least you have a better chance at coming in and getting away with it while you're inkoming on their control (like directly on the tower).

And yes Kraken is amazing, it's saved me on two games whereas if I was a bubbler, i'd be simply pushed off. And Beacons usually stay put more often this time around. Still a bit amazed by how many people do not understand the power of them.

Also this is my current set:

Debating on swapping out the legs for special charge up so I can charge my kraken even faster. (but I really love Ink resistance Up...)

Last edited:

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Are you sure? I have yet to try Ninja Jump, at least you have a better chance at coming in and getting away with it while you're inkoming on their control (like directly on the tower).

And yes Kraken is amazing, it's saved me on two games whereas if I was a bubbler, i'd be simply pushed off. And Beacons usually stay put more often this time around. Still a bit amazed by how many people do not understand the power of them.

Also this is my current set:

Debating on swapping out the legs for special duration up so I can stay high on Krak for much longer. (I really love Ink resistance Up...)
I don't jump into any situation which might lead to instant death. Hence placing Beacons all over the place and jumping to the one least likely to be swarmed. This is the main reason I don't use Ninja Jump, I prefer to place beacons as soon as I can - and rarely forget to place them in good location which ensure easy reentry into the fray.
The biggest mistake you can make in Splatoon is to be insta killed after a badly timed Jump. Tower mode seems to lead to this. Beacons are pretty safe in Tower mode since it seems even in A/A+ games no one has time to clear them out.

That Jacket is godly, I need to play with you so I can order it from Spike.

Sol64

I don't jump into any situation which might lead to instant death. Hence placing Beacons all over the place and jumping to the one least likely to be swarmed. This is the main reason I don't use Ninja Jump, I prefer to place beacons as soon as I can - and rarely forget to place them in good location which ensure easy reentry into the fray.
The biggest mistake you can make in Splatoon is to be insta killed after a badly timed Jump. Tower mode seems to lead to this. Beacons are pretty safe in Tower mode since it seems even in A/A+ games no one has time to clear them out.

That Jacket is godly, I need to play with you so I can order it from Spike.
Haha...

And yeah sure, just send a request with your forum username and we'll do 1 or 2 turf wars.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
  • hey remember how fun it is when ubered robots cap the bomb in mvm? bubbler and kraken make the same nonsense possible.
  • also, breaking past a lead is a LOT harder than in splat zones. turnarounds are near-impossible.
  • the objective below the actual platform part is a huge pain (because sometimes it'll push you around or it'll be finnicky if you try to climb up it while it's moving)
  • and ok obviously some weapons benefit more in certain modes but this feels a lot more centralizing already? blasters and chargers are huge
  • flanking is also less effective than dogpiling straight onto the point (despite the new routes opened up when played on this mode which is odd) which hurts the mode strategically and in terms of variety
  • tf2's payload is much better because the cart's pushed up a one way street and doesn't fall back a million feet if you lose advantage
  • I'm worried that Rainmaker will suffer many of the same problems, but I can see it being a bit better than Tower Control.
  • (me on splash-o-matic's use) just makes it feel like suction bombs are really centralizing though...?
Copypasting my negative thoughts on this mode from my twitter. No, I'm not losing a lot. There's just a lot of bad game design abound with Tower Control and I'm really not finding it a lot of fun.
Bubbler's are actually very easy to knock off the tower. Krakens, even with the nerf, yeah...

Second point is trueish. People haven't figured out how this game fully works yet. I also think piling on the tower can be beneficial in some cases which a lot of people disagree with.

I agree that trying to climb onto the tower is incredibly annoying.

I don't agree with there being centralization yet. People are still experimenting.

While I agree that multiple people being on the point is beneficial, there is still a need for there to be people at other locations and getting surprise attacks on opponents.

Suction bombs aren't AS bad as people make them out to be. A lot of people act like you need to jump off the tower as soon as you see one, but positioning yourself just right can actually protect you from the blast.

Yes I skipped points, but I didn't really have a response to them.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Not really, Bubbler is pretty easy to push off the tower (or at least it is when I use it). It's helpful, but not hugely so.
Now Blasters, on the other hand, are huge. It's so easy to force people off with te threat of 1- or 2-shots from a good Blaster. I've seen Luna and Custom Blasters wreck entire teams (mine, of course). Rollers are also surprisingly good for taking the tower, though maybe less so for keeping it.
Are Chargers any good on this mode? I think I'm getting decent with the Hero Charger Replica, but I'm not sure how useful a sniper is for capturing the tower. Granted, I'm Generally awful, but I never felt like I could do anything once the other team got the tower.
Also, yeah, getting up onto the platform is annoying. Can it squish you? Because it looks like it should, but that's never happened to me yet so I dunno for sure.

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
Anybody else having trouble winning late at night? I'll win by a pretty significant margin consistently during the day and into the early evening, but if I play past midnight it seems like my teams start to tank - hard!

YES THIS!! WHY!!!!

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Holy moly, bomb sniffer is actually really good now. I can finally use my Pro Trail Boots (that conveniently has 2 jump speed ups and 1 defense up)!

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
YES THIS!! WHY!!!!
Well for me.... I'm west coast (pst), so by the time I get around to playing it's usually about 9-11 pm, and the vast majority of the people I play against have non-english characters in their names. I think the amount of lag involved in these games (while not usually too awful) contributes to why I do worse compared to when I play earlier on weekends with 8-10 people with english-character names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom