• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splattershot Jr.: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Setu

Splattershot Jr. pretty much gives a +200 point average for any player when they switch to Jr. It's just so good at spreading ink. I feel like the kills should give more points since it is a pretty good factor of who wins a match.

Lefty

Nice la~
Splattershot Jr is amazing. I feel like it's a great balance between offense and defense. I usually just run around spreading ink in the beginning until I get my shield, then I go offensive onto the enemy side and reek havoc. Looking at the map throughout the game is really important for this gun(though looking at the map is important in general) cause you'll be able to tell where your enemy is going, and you can set yourself up to quickly burst them. Your bomb sub also has its uses, especially in Arowana Mall.
People usually camp you out on their ledge and with your short range you get destroyed really easily, but you're able to chuck your bomb at them and counter them or at least stop them from harassing you to regain your composure. Whenever your shield is up you HAVE to go into enemy turf, otherwise you'll just be wasting your potential. You're basically an assassin.
Also to note that if you move your stick slowly while in squid form, you're aren't as noticeable and can easily sneak attack and again burst them back to their spawn. I haven't tested many other weapons so I'll compare it with other weapons later and how it fairs against other weapons. I eat up rollers for breakfest though.

Currently on a 9 win streak, with 8/9 of the games in first place. Learn to use this weapon properly, and you're an unstoppable force! I'll come back next week and write a cleaner post, but for right now this is just me writing my thoughts about this weapon.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
this weapon is utterly terrible if you're trying to kill anyone good

seriously if they have a long range weapon they will strafe you and your rng spray will be useless, and if you chase people you can't get them at range unless you luck out.

the bubbler is what makes the set good and the rng spray makes it easier to get points just by spraying into open areas from high ground, therefore making this one of the highest-scoring sets in the game right now.

Box

Pro Squid
I've had some early success with the junior. I believe it's an excellent weapon at winning engagements, particularly those that involve flanking and surprise attacks. The weapon itself has high mobility, or rather it easily enables mobility for the user. It puts down a heavy coating of ink over a relatively small area, which means you can use it to create a lot of ink directly around yourself, giving you room to maneuver in squid form. The weapon also has a lot of power up close making it effective at splatting enemies that you can take by surprise. It's very hit and run. Finally the bubbler allows you to win engagements outright. When the bubbler isn't charged, you have to be careful about taking out an enemy before he or she can fire back. The bubbler allows you to be more aggressive because you have a way to automatically win if the situation turns around.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
this weapon is utterly terrible if you're trying to kill anyone good

seriously if they have a long range weapon they will strafe you and your rng spray will be useless, and if you chase people you can't get them at range unless you luck out.

the bubbler is what makes the set good and the rng spray makes it easier to get points just by spraying into open areas from high ground, therefore making this one of the highest-scoring sets in the game right now.
I must say, I agree with this.

Its fine for taking people by surprise and taking out rollers, it also does a nice job at inking territory but against anyone that has a longer range than the Jr or can out maneuver it, its game over.
I also feel that the bubbler is carrying the Jr, a lot. I find myself stuck using the Jr simply because the bubbler has such a huge effect on the outcome of engagements.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
This weapon is amazing in my opinion. I tried lots of other weapons, and liked some things on others more, but... at the moment, the Splattershot Jr. is my absolute favorite turf war weapon. It's ink spread is fantastic, which is the most important thing in turf wars. It isn't the best at killing unless you're right up in someone's face, but if you can get the drop on someone, by either hiding in ink, or flanking them, you can use it's machine gun-style nature to take foes out quickly. It entirely depends on if you can get into your ideal range- if you're trying to win in a stand up fight from a proper, you're probably going to get splatted. It's ink coverage to ink use ratio is the most amazing thing i've seen so far. With some ink recovery and main weapon ink down skills, I almost never have to stop shooting, and if i take a second to dip into the ink i'm spraying everywhere, i'm full again in no time.

It's ink bombs are probably my favorite of the bomb varieties, just because they are able to do good damage, have pressure ability, since they can force an enemy to give up turf, and will always roll up and over the lip of a platform with a curved edge, giving you the ability to retaliate better from below.

Bubbler is an amazing tool both defensively and offensively- and because it links to your teammates when close enough, you can either pop it as a solo "I win" button in a tough engagement, or to help you close distance with someone, or you can use it in a supportive and defensive way, blubbling your team so they can more aggressively kill what you can't with your tiny range.

In the global testfires, i used the splatty Jr. exclusively, and when i saw it was the starter weapon in the full game, i honestly really wanted to branch out and try and use other things instead, but i think this weapon is a serious force to be reckoned with in turf wars. It's not "just the starter weapon", it's legit good. In my opinion, of course.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
This Class is one of the best IMO.

Gun:
The fire rate is great for dashing in as squid and getting a quick kill. It also has some really good spread for covering the ground. A balance between kill power and coverage is very important, and I think this gun does the trick (At least for me). It is good at covering enough to fill your special gauge quickly, but has enough accuracy at close range to get quick kills.

Sub:
Overall, the splat bomb covers a good chunk of area. I think the Splat bomb with gear that has better ink recharge AND makes the sub use less ink is very good. The Bombs are great for pressure and, with quick ink recharge, can be thrown fairly quickly. Throwing bombs over walls can be quite good, giving you a space to swim in in advance. I sometimes throw one out randomly over a wall and have found myself getting a kill! I have also used one to force someone to advance out and I go in for the kill. It is a great spacing tool that forces people to move to an uncomfortable situation. It can also be thrown behind you to cover people who might be chasing you.

Special:
The bubbler may be the best part of this class. Being able to rush in and get stage control is very vital. It is also a good escape from a tough situation and can turn you around from being killed to killing. It lasts for about 5-6 seconds, enough time to rush in and take some kills or throw a splat bomb to further stage control. Possibly the best part of it is that it can be shared. If you touch someone while using bubbler, or Vice Versa, Bubbler will be shared and will last until the original user's disappears. The rest is up to game-play. Just a last note on this, IT IS SO GOOD.

My Strategy:
I like to start off the match by covering up as much of my side of the stage as possible to store a bubbler. Once I have one I like to pressure the middle with grenades, and getting up high to spray most of the middle. I like using squid for fast movement up to an opponent to pop out and get a quick kill. I also like to get a bubbler saved for the end, share it with a teammate or two, and use it for last 20-30 second take back pressure.

The rest really comes down to your personal play-style, but I think this weapon really has a wide variety of uses.

Happy Splatting.

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
weapon kit is amazing. Very rare I get a bad game with it. Bubbler is just works well with it

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
My favorite weapon at the moment. Easy to learn, grants great ink coverage (meaning you can be more mobile), great fire ratio (which makes up for it's unaccuracy imo), probably the best ink efficiency and arguably the best special in the game for charging recklessly at the enemy team (arguably outclassed by Kraken but you can pass it on to other teammates).

I don't use the sub as much unless i'm trying to stall in a choke point though. Costs too much ink for how little area it covers.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I like the sub for its psychological effects--dropping it on one side of contested cover almost always means they try to loop around to where I'm waiting in the ink. It's costly, sure, but not tank-emptying expensive, so that tiny regeneration period almost always gives back enough to gun them down.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Playing this weapon feels like being the Medic from TF2 (minus the healing of course). Your strategy with this weapon, especially in Splat
Zones should be heavily centered around attaining this special so that your team can make a push (though don't hesitate to use it if you're in trouble either).
It's not very good at mounting an offensive on it's own so it's important you mind your teammates before doing something risky. Letting the enemy hold
the zone(s) uncontested for a few seconds so that you can decisively take it later instead of desperately trying to stop their clock can mean all the difference.

No other weapon with a bubbler is as good at charging it as this, so I recommend taking some special focused gear to go along with it, whether
it's special charge or duration up, special saver etc.

You will feel like a hero if you pull this off.

ToastMiller

Inkling
NNID
ToastMiller
No Jr love?

The jr. is definitely my favorite class at this point. You'll get outranged by gals and squelchers but if you can get close enough, using grenades, your superior inking abilities, or the bubbler if you have to, the jr can kill at close ranges pretty quickly and sometimes on par with high fire rates like the aeros splashomatics and splatterpros. Probably the most trouble I have is from zap guns ( you can outrange them, I just usually forget.) and stuff from the blaster category, luna blaster is the worst.

Since you'll have to use your inking capabilities to get up close and personal to net the kill I would suggest ninja squid as a good ability. And other than that defense to help you last longer against aeros and high fire rate guns. Ink savers would also help. I don't see bomb range too necessary maybe if you have something left over.

I try not to rely too heavily on the bubbler. If youre up against a squelchers they'll just push you back far enough that you can't hit them. And if you're up against two they can also knock you around for whatever. i use it more as a life saver if something happens like I get snuck up on by an aero, or there's an inkstrike I didn't react fast enough too. ( you need to stay alive for inkstrikes since your quick inking abilities will help reverse the misfortunes of the inkstrike )

I only know of one special junior set, the one you get from the story, I think it has echolacator, does anyone know anything about other junior sets, are they any good?

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
I have been using the Splattershot Jr. since this game's release. I didn't depend too much on bubbles, but as soon as I progressed into A- ranked matches I felt that the weapon was not good enough. The weapon is easily overpowered by many other shorter range weapons. I have since switched my weapon and have better performance in ranked matches.

I just feel it is hard to do high ranked competitive matches with this gun without depending on the bubble.

Slashy

Inkling
NNID
slashyx
I love to tank with the Bubbler, but I usually try to seek out my teammates before activating it. Do they get an increase in the amount of time it is active as well if I have a Special Time Up active?

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
I came into the light today and realized this is the best weapon for turf war and dropped my RG. This is my new favorite weapon. I won ten straight with it.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
Technically the Aerospray is considered the best weapon for straight-up inking, which is the main objective of Turf Wars, but the Jr. is right up there with it. It kills decently fast if you can get in close, which is admittedly difficult at times but not impossible. The short range is indeed its biggest weakness, so you want to avoid situations where opponents can find the space to out-range you (in other words, ambush people as much as possible; there are other reasons why this is a good idea in general, but that's going a bit off-topic). The Bubbler is still among the best specials in the game as well - invincibility is always useful, and even more so when you can pass it to teammates to bolster a push. It compliments the short-range nature of the Jr. well, giving you that extra edge in a close-quarters fight, and the Jr.'s high inking efficiency only helps you charge it up faster. Let's not forget the Splat Bombs either. I personally find them to be the most versatile of the three types of "grenades" - they're powerful enough that you have to respect them, much like Suction Bombs, but they also don't take forever to explode like Suction Bombs do, so you'll be able to get a lot more kills with them. Splat Bombs also benefit from the fact that they don't explode or stick in place immediately whenever they touch a surface, meaning you have more options for placing them in otherwise hard-to-reach spots, including around corners.

To follow up on some of the above posts from today, I'm not sure how much I really "depend" on Bubbler myself. I know I won't always have it available, and I try to put emphasis on generally mobile and evasive play first and foremost, so it's not something I think about that much. However, given how powerful it is, I say why shouldn't I be trying to get as many of these bad boys as possible?

I don't have a ton of experience in Splat Zones with the Jr. yet, and none at all in A-rank play, but the most I can say is that the Jr. is arguably best used as a supporting weapon. Longer-range weapons abound in Splat Zones, so you can't just freely travel everywhere either. What I try to do is focus on its strengths, namely, its ability to quickly ink areas, its relative mobility compared to some other weapons, and the Bubbler. I've seen plenty of A-rank players who use the Jr. from streams and such (never the streamers themselves though, just others in the lobby), so it's definitely possible.

I love to tank with the Bubbler, but I usually try to seek out my teammates before activating it. Do they get an increase in the amount of time it is active as well if I have a Special Time Up active?
Any Bubblers that you pass to teammates end at the exact same time yours does, so yes.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
The Jr? You mean tHE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
i can't think of a better weapon combo, honestly. Everything about this set is just so well rounded, I love it to bits.

#JrForLife

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Technically the Aerospray is considered the best weapon for straight-up inking, which is the main objective of Turf Wars, but the Jr. is right up there with it. It kills decently fast if you can get in close, which is admittedly difficult at times but not impossible. The short range is indeed its biggest weakness, so you want to avoid situations where opponents can find the space to out-range you (in other words, ambush people as much as possible; there are other reasons why this is a good idea in general, but that's going a bit off-topic). The Bubbler is still among the best specials in the game as well - invincibility is always useful, and even more so when you can pass it to teammates to bolster a push. It compliments the short-range nature of the Jr. well, giving you that extra edge in a close-quarters fight, and the Jr.'s high inking efficiency only helps you charge it up faster. Let's not forget the Splat Bombs either. I personally find them to be the most versatile of the three types of "grenades" - they're powerful enough that you have to respect them, much like Suction Bombs, but they also don't take forever to explode like Suction Bombs do, so you'll be able to get a lot more kills with them. Splat Bombs also benefit from the fact that they don't explode or stick in place immediately whenever they touch a surface, meaning you have more options for placing them in otherwise hard-to-reach spots, including around corners.

To follow up on some of the above posts from today, I'm not sure how much I really "depend" on Bubbler myself. I know I won't always have it available, and I try to put emphasis on generally mobile and evasive play first and foremost, so it's not something I think about that much. However, given how powerful it is, I say why shouldn't I be trying to get as many of these bad boys as possible?

I don't have a ton of experience in Splat Zones with the Jr. yet, and none at all in A-rank play, but the most I can say is that the Jr. is arguably best used as a supporting weapon. Longer-range weapons abound in Splat Zones, so you can't just freely travel everywhere either. What I try to do is focus on its strengths, namely, its ability to quickly ink areas, its relative mobility compared to some other weapons, and the Bubbler. I've seen plenty of A-rank players who use the Jr. from streams and such (never the streamers themselves though, just others in the lobby), so it's definitely possible.

Any Bubblers that you pass to teammates end at the exact same time yours does, so yes.
As an A+ who's been use the Jr. forever, it's used exactly as you say. I primarily use the Bubbler when my teammates are around to make one big push into the zones so that we can retake them. It's really useful. Also the Splat Bombs are great way for charging your special. Just throw one at the zone(this could uncover any potential Ink Mines hidden and blow them up) and the explosion will charge your special by a considerate amount. This also doubles as harassment too and is an excellent way of flushing out anyone hiding in the ink since they have to reveal themselves to shoot the area where it blew up.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to use the Bubbler to protect yourself and the enemy is shooting at you to push you back, just throw a Splat Bomb. This forces them to stop shooting at you get out of harm's way, which gives you time to chase them down and dispose of them(or it could also help you get back into a more favourable position if you're on the verge of falling off the stage from the knockback).

I really think the Jr. is one of the best weapons in the game despite it's bad range. It's sub, special, and fast rate of fire easily make up for it. It's perfect for almost every circumstance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom