• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What about Splatoon made you want it?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So after playing a demo of the single player mode, my feelings for the single player mode were correct, so now I can't wait to play it more! <3

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I'm not sure. I guess the unique take on the FPS genre got me hooked. but its really a combination of everything the art style, the sounds and music.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
The style of the game almost reminds me of the 90's the years i grew up in, and of course the urban nature of the game and it's FPS (Third Person Shooter to be exact) style is a fresh breather from the others wich pretty much had the same concept almost pasted over each other for the past 20 years even?

This actually seems extremely appealing to everyone from the lowest age to the highest.

Squidly

Inkling
To be honest, I didn't think this game would be any fun at all and i was afraid it was going to be a flop, but once I had a go at it with the testfire my opinions on it immediately changed.

Bobinsnos

Inkling
NNID
backward_n
The fact that it was a brand new IP from Nintendo of all things, that it was something they hadn't actually done before, and the style that (I think) is strongly reminiscent of Jet Set Radio. Just looking at it made me really interested, and getting my hands on the demo convinced me that I would be spending the majority of my free time playing it for years. I've played more than a few multiplayer shooters before, and none of them have been so fun on a basic level as Splatoon is.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
Nothing in particular made me like it when I first saw it. When I first saw it at E3, (live feed. I wasn't actually there) it was more a love at first site. I thought it looked interesting when I first saw it and when I saw actual gameplay of it, I got hooked instantly. It got to the point where I was more excited for Splatoon than I was for Smash. (and I was FREAKING HYPED for smash)

WECKmaster329

Inkster Jr.
NNID
WECKmaster329
I got excited at the fact that it's a shooter that is more objective based, and actually rewards you for focusing more on the objective. While splatting enemies does contribute to the objective, it's not the main focus, and that's something that isn't too common in shooters these days. I also like the weapon variety as well as how colorful the maps become once there is ink laid everywhere. This game is already turning out to be very addictive thanks to the testfire. I can't wait to try out splat zones once we are able to play ranked matches.

get ROWDY

Inkster Jr.
The fact that no one needs to get anxiety over not fragging/killing people in a shooter (whether it be first person or third person)

The vividness is the first thing you appreciate (a lot of triple A titles are very brown, dull, lacking colours), but you can then appreciate being able to completely win a game without fragging anyone. This is great for friends too who might suck at games like shooters, but could easily play and do well in Splatoon (just paint stuff yo)

It's mostly just new, fresh and exciting. It's also completely ridiculous, I still laugh at the fact you're some kid/squid hybrid running around with a giant paint roller, just painting stuff. that's it. just paint. Whoever said this game was an acid trip was not far off

Glottis

Inkster Jr.
The fact that it was a new Nintendo IP by a team of young developers.
And the fact that it was super colourful, and had awesome, cohesive character designs that just oozed of Nintendo charm.

The fact that it was a shooter made me a bit anxious at first, because i suck at them.
But once i saw it in action, and saw that it was third and not first person, it just looked like too much fun and i couldn't help but get even more exited :D

And the Testfire basically quelled any last doubts i might have had. Nintendo seems to have done the impossible, and made a shooter that everyone can play and have fun with. I guess if anybody would be able to do it, it would be them.

Lord_Espurr

Inkling
NNID
wheresthetoliet
I love its whimsical and cartoony art style. Now that I think about it, it's really similar to smash 4, another game that I love.

Hi_C

Full Squid
There is actually a multitude of things that really drew me to Splatoon. First, I would have to say that it was gameplay. The concept of the game is really unique to the shooter genre. Me being a long time Halo fan, I really wanted to find that game that filled my void for another fun shooter. The second thing had to be the art and music. While looking into the game more extensively, I found that the color choices and art in general is AMAZING! It's so bright and fun compared to something like Battlefield or Call of Duty, where the art style is just a mix of gray and darker pallets. The next thing that really got me into the game was the weapon variety. The sub classes are really interesting varying from the Roller which is a close up heavy, to the Charger which is a ranged weapon. Each gamemode seems to have sort of a balance to which one is more useful but every gun is still viable. Finally, wrapping it up, I would have to say that the customization for the game is great too. The central plaza idea is fun as you can meet up with people and see their personal styles and from that how they play from the benefits that are from those clothes. Overall, I can't wait to pick this game up, and I hope that everyone who plays it supports it and uses this forum as a hub for the game.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
The uniqueness of this IP is beyond belief and they is nothing else like it.

Strider_Bond00J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Strider_James00B
For me, it was the curiosity of what sort of new IP Nintendo would show off at E3. When I saw the opening trailer with the orange ink, I thought 'Oh? This reminds me of the Nickelodeon logo.' Then I saw the Inkling and the following gameplay, and it's very difficult to say I could not want it! Granted, almost soon after I started thinking about them in Smash Bros... :rolleyes: All in all, it's the gameplay and being one of the most original games Nintendo has pushed in recent years that's made me love Splatoon.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I'm still not sure if I'm getting this game because the netcode is still a huge question mark (not sure if my bad k/d spreads in the demo were because I haven't played a dual stick shooter in a long time or because I was lagging; it's probably the former but the latter makes me very concerned) and also because I won't be able to sink a decent amount of time into the game until about a week after release (so I'll be playing catch-up instead of actually breaking stuff)

if I do get the game though it'll be because the game is an interesting take on the tps genre and the gimmick might keep me interested until next semester

Vinny

Inkling
The visuals, its interesting gameplay concept, and the fact that it is a new IP from Nintendo.

Kiri

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mallowy
Gosh there's so many reasons why I was hype for Splatoon
  • It's a brand new Nintendo IP, that's something that doesn't happen often.
  • It's from a new development team made up of younger Nintendo staff, meaning the ideas going into it are from a much different perspective.
  • it's Nintendo's first time making a game of this genre (I'm not counting Prime since technically Nintendo didn't make that and it was before online gaming on a Nintendo console was anything significant).
  • The mechanics pump a lot of new life into a stagnant and boring genre.
  • Aesthetically, it's about the closest thing to a new Jet Set Radio I have.
The thing that got me really absorbed into it though is a lot more personal and unsophisticated aha. My partner really wanted a Squidgirl Amiibo and I spent a big chunk of time making sure I got that sorted out.
I'm a mushy nerd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom