What are some buffs/nerfs you want for the 7.0.0 patch?

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
There's a reason for why shooters got those buffs for firing sooner after coming out of their ink: it was necessary. They do deserve that mobility and here's why. Look at the other classes and what they can do and what shooters can't. 5 of them have weapons that can potentially 1 shot you, something which no shooter, not even the gals can do. (Except maybe the H-3 nozzlenose, but those weapons along with the squeezer are so fundamentally different from shooters they deserve their own class).
Another one of them can produce bursts of sustained fire and range that shooters just can't match. And the last two have such insane mobility that shooters can't match. Have you ever tried to hit a good dualies user, and seen how hard and frustrating it is? A lot of times they're on top of you and you're splatted before you can do anything. That goes for brushes too. If one of those two classes gets the drop on you and they know what they're doing, it's generally a 50/50 situation or worse if the shooter player can make it out of those situations alive. In short, there's counterplay from other classes. And that's a big part of the reason why those buffs last game were practically universal for shooters, along with the one making rollers more ink efficient the faster they roll.

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
Buff: bring down the amount of turf to fill the special gauge for the splatana wiper(original wiper)

nerf: add one more second to the suction bomb

Buff: add two more frames per sec to Areospy RG

the suction bomb nerf I've wanted ever since I started to get annoyed at players who love to spam their suction bombs at me

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
There's a reason for why shooters got those buffs for firing sooner after coming out of their ink: it was necessary. They do deserve that mobility and here's why. Look at the other classes and what they can do and what shooters can't. 5 of them have weapons that can potentially 1 shot you, something which no shooter, not even the gals can do. (Except maybe the H-3 nozzlenose, but those weapons along with the squeezer are so fundamentally different from shooters they deserve their own class).
Another one of them can produce bursts of sustained fire and range that shooters just can't match. And the last two have such insane mobility that shooters can't match. Have you ever tried to hit a good dualies user, and seen how hard and frustrating it is? A lot of times they're on top of you and you're splatted before you can do anything. That goes for brushes too. If one of those two classes gets the drop on you and they know what they're doing, it's generally a 50/50 situation or worse if the shooter player can make it out of those situations alive. In short, there's counterplay from other classes. And that's a big part of the reason why those buffs last game were practically universal for shooters, along with the one making rollers more ink efficient the faster they roll.
The mobility buffs were certainly nice, but I think it's a stretch to call them necessary. Shooters were basically the only good weapons at the end of S2, and while it's not as bad now, they're still very good.

Yes, there is counterplay, and yes, other classes have even better mobility, but that doesn't mean shooters aren't a problem. Again, if theory and results don't line up, the theory is the one that's wrong. I'm no top player, so I'm not going to try to give an in-depth explanation of why exactly shooters are so good, but the results say that they are.

Random takes like these and then insulting me on top of it are exactly the reason why I'm glad it's the developers that make all the game related decisions and not some random people on the internet like you or Chara.
I may not be a top player, but Chara definitely is. (Right? I'm like 99% sure.) Either way, he's definitely way more qualified than any of us to talk about balance changes. If he says something would be helpful, I'd be hesitant contradicting him without seriously considering what he said.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's worth pointing out here that there will always be a best weapon in the game. That alone isn't enough to say that nerfs are necessary, because if that's the argument for a nerf, then you would be endlessly nerfing the next weapon that takes its place, and the weapon after that, and the weapon after that...

Don't just tell me .52 is good. Tell me why it's a problem for it to be good.

Consider the state of Pencil. The problem with Pencil goes far beyond just the fact that it's a top tier. The problem with Pencil is that it has become virtually mandatory at top level for every comp to have one. And that in turn is keeping nearly every other backline weapon out of the meta, because you can't justify picking them over Pencil.

I don't see that kind of problem with .52. It doesn't even outclass other the short-range shooters, other options are all playable.

I have nothing against shooters as a class, there needs to be some sort of baseline, but they should not be top tiers.
Games shouldn't be balanced around bias. Decreeing that an entire class shouldn't ever be allowed to be meta is just... no.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
It's worth pointing out here that there will always be a best weapon in the game. That alone isn't enough to say that nerfs are necessary, because if that's the argument for a nerf, then you would be endlessly nerfing the next weapon that takes its place, and the weapon after that, and the weapon after that...

Don't just tell me .52 is good. Tell me why it's a problem for it to be good.

Consider the state of Pencil. The problem with Pencil goes far beyond just the fact that it's a top tier. The problem with Pencil is that it has become virtually mandatory at top level for every comp to have one. And that in turn is keeping nearly every other backline weapon out of the meta, because you can't justify picking them over Pencil.

I don't see that kind of problem with .52. It doesn't even outclass other the short-range shooters, other options are all playable.

Games shouldn't be balanced around bias. Decreeing that an entire class shouldn't ever be allowed to be meta is just... no.
Shooters are too easy to use. Justification enough?
Shooters have no depth to them. They can shoot, and that’s it. That’s all they can do, and all the user has to know how to do. I ask you, give me one good reason a shooter should be better than a weapon from any other class.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
That's not an argument for a nerf. It's not a problem for a weapon to be easy to pick up. In fact, it's a good thing for the game to have those kinds of options.

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
There is actually some nice buffs and nerfs that they did to shooters in the last few patches

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
That's not an argument for a nerf. It's not a problem for a weapon to be easy to pick up. In fact, it's a good thing for the game to have those kinds of options.
I'm not arguing against that. My point is that it is a problem if they're in the meta. Options that are good at low levels should fall off as player skill rises. Nothing should dominate every level of play. Yet we have .52 Gals being run in World Championships.
The main problem is that nobody here has played Splatoon 1 or early Splatoon 2, before all of the shooter buffs happened. Shooters used to be in a perfectly good spot, but then Nintendo decided that they deserved a spot in the meta, and they promptly consumed it.

My argument for nerfing the three meta shooters is the same reason behind my argument for not buffing brushes or the Clash Blaster. They're too easy to be allowed to be mainstream.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Yeah, I agree with that. There's nothing wrong with having a good weapon that's also easy to play but the devs clearly don't see it that way for the other weapon classes.
It's very tiring to see the other top tier weapons get nerfed while shooters remain untouched.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
My argument for nerfing the three meta shooters is the same reason behind my argument for not buffing brushes or the Clash Blaster. They're too easy to be allowed to be mainstream.
Too bad the buffs they gave them in Splatoon 2 are most likely permanent. The devs are very stubborn when it comes to going back on any previous changes so the best you could hope for is a more expensive pfs and worse paint. I think Splattershot in particular needs a paint nerf with how easy it is for that weapon to become focused on special spam whenever it has a meta special.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Shooters used to be in a perfectly good spot, but then Nintendo decided that they deserved a spot in the meta, and they promptly consumed it.
So your idea of a 'perfectly good spot' for the game's main class is to not be in the meta at all?

It really doesn't sound like this is about any real balance problem at all, just your own personal bias against an entire class.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
So your idea of a 'perfectly good spot' for the game's main class is to not be in the meta at all?

It really doesn't sound like this is about any real balance problem at all, just your own personal bias against an entire class.
You say "main class" like shooters are supposed to be special. I'm fine with shooters being competitively viable, every class deserves to be competitively viable, but there's a difference between viable and meta. A shooter should never be so good as to be run by everyone, to be the best choice. We had Crab meta, people generally disliked that meta. Then we had Inkjet meta, where the meta special wasn't on a shooter, everyone looks back on that meta fondly. Then we had Zooka meta; everyone hated Zooka meta. See where I'm going?

It's not just that shooters are easy, every time a shooter has been meta defining, nobody liked the meta.
I may be biased against shooters, but it doesn't invalidate my argument for nerfing the best ones. I do not want another .52 Gal meta.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
If you say that there's a problem, explain what that problem is beyond "I just don't like shooters so I want the entire class to be bad". Because that's all I'm hearing from you, and that's not a valid philosophy to balance games around.

The problem with Crab meta wasn't shooters, it was the power level of Crab and lack of strong counters. The problem with Zooka meta isn't shooters, it's the jumpscare frustration. You're blaming the wrong scapegoat.

And right now, there's really just one problem that stands out and it isn't a shooter, it's a charger.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
If you say that there's a problem, explain what that problem is beyond "I just don't like shooters so I want the entire class to be bad". Because that's all I'm hearing from you, and that's not a valid philosophy to balance games around.

The problem with Crab meta wasn't shooters, it was the power level of Crab and lack of strong counters. The problem with Zooka meta isn't shooters, it's the jumpscare frustration. You're blaming the wrong scapegoat.

And right now, there's really just one problem that stands out and it isn't a shooter, it's a charger.
I have explained the problem, but I'll do it again if I must.

.52 Gal can fire two shots out of swim form to splat someone in 20 frames, one frame faster than a Splat Roller is able to flick once. It's poor accuracy is all but irrelevant because of its shot size, and because it only takes another 9 frames to fire each subsequent shot. It paints well, has better range than the Splattershot and N-ZAP, it has a Splash Wall which screws over any weapon trying to fight it that doesn't have a lethal or Fizzy bomb, and if that wall breaks, guess what? It has another one because its special is an instant ink refill. That's not even touching on the fact that literally the only thing you have to do to get value out of the weapon is shoot the gun at someone, unlike a more precise weapon such as, I dunno, a Snipewriter.

So we have a weapon with a high power level, lack of strong counters, jumpscare frustration, and on top of that a ground-level skill floor. Happy with that explanation? Because it's so obvious I don't know how you missed it.
What purpose is there in defending .52 Gal anyway? It's annoying. In fact, it's the most annoying weapon in the series. Your argument just sounds like "I like shooters so I want them to stay good," without even stopping to question if they're overpowered.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Look, this is like the 79th argument over shooters we've had at this point, this is my last contribution

Is there some kind of shooter bias in the balance? Yes, most likely. Were all the mobility buffs necessary? No. Do they need to be reversed? I don't think so. Shooters having great mobility isn't that big an issue imo, it allows for a lot of skill expression in their movement and makes weapons like splash feel really fluid, I think they're fine.

I honestly think stuff like splattershot is totally fine as a main weapon, the problem just lies with zooka now. The main issue was simply that shot got an unecessary buff in its pfs, then they overbuffed zooka, and then the weapon could just rely on zooka spam in order to win, even at high levels, which felt extra annoying to fight. I'd guess that if vac got the same treatment as zooka and became meta tomorrow, jet squelcher would be insufferable because it's 180p, it's the same problem.

But at this point, I agree with this:
The thing is, you shouldn't buff or nerf things based on theory, you should buff or nerf based on results.
The issue with 52 and squeezer is that they are overtuned as heck as main weapons.

52 has an extremely quick kill time, good range, good paint, good ink efficiency, good mobility, and its 'weaknesses' are a lower fire rate, which is made up for in spades by the damage, and isn't even bad, and relatively high shot deviation, which I'd argue
1: is just bad weapon design, though that's beside the point,
2: is completely unreliable to counter, you just have to cross your fingers that the rng is on your side, and even then its fire rate is solid
3: is not that noticeable and only starts kicking in once the gal shoots for a long time, swimming in ink gets rid of that weakness almost entirely, and that's not a difficult thing to learn

Wall as a sub also invalidates so many matchups (blasters, rollers, sloshers, brellas, even splatanas), and when you factor in its good ink efficiency, it can effectively spam it. If you don't have the mobility to get away from its range once it set up its wall, you're effectively dead. If you don't have a bomb to threaten the wall weapon, they can just set up for free

I don't like the argument that 52 is brain dead or a "free" weapon because splatoon as a game just has so much depth that every weapon requires a lot of skill to consistently win. But 52 is just easier than every other top tier weapon in the game. You can get away with a lot of mistakes because of mobility/wall/fast kill time, while your opponents have to be very careful fighting you because any of their mistakes get insta punished.
The difference between shot and 52 is that shot is picked to spam its special, while 52 is picked to fight you. The shot won't be as good at fighting as the more demanding weapons, so you can take advantage of that. You can't with 52, it's just as good if not better at fighting than most weapons in the game, while being relatively easy to use.

Squeezer I have slightly less of a problem with because it's much harder than 52, but this weapon is also blatantly overtuned
You have ridiculous range, great mobility, perfect accuracy, good damage, as fast a fire rate as your fingers can allow, and even a paint mode if you need to paint a bit for yourself.
This is just a death laser, it's ridiculous, it has virtually no weaknesses you can exploit. It's got worse paint and ink efficiency but those don't make the weapon less good at fighting, so these nerfs don't really matter.

They've been meta in 2 games in a row, and no, that's not just because "Oh Chara said it lol", in that tierlist, jared from jackpot, the literal world champions, insisted that 52 was top tier. Go listen to top teams, go look at area cup comps, go look at top 500 takaroka div. All of them agree 52 and squeezer are top tier and most of them think it's a problem.

When they've been meta 2 games in a row I do find it annoying that nintendo is extremely reluctant to give them any nerfs at all, it's infuriating, I think they should both get a lower fire rate, especially squeezer for accessibility's sake, or less range, or both.

And yes, there will always be a best weapon in the game, but I think the game is most fun to watch and play when the best weapons are very difficult and require a lot of skill. Obviously stamper does that well, and pencil doesn't. The game is more fun when the players using top tiers can make mistakes and get punished for it in game. To play them well, you should need to be very consistent at them, to learn their intricacies.
The game is more fun when top players use weapons that I couldn't dream of playing as well, which I can't say about 52. 52 deserves to be good, but players that use more difficult, more demanding weapons should not be completely outclassed by this one weapon.

I am so done talking about 52 lmao

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
This whole argument did just start with argumentum ad tier list, that whatever's in the top tier has to get nerfed. That's what I took issue with, because that alone isn't a justification - there will always be a top tier. Then it became "the entire shooter class shouldn't ever be allowed to be meta", which is even worse.

Again, .52 doesn't even outclass other short-range shooters, we're seeing a perfectly healthy level of frontline diversity. It isn't a Pencil situation where it's mandatory on every team comp and invalidating every other option.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
This whole argument did just start with argumentum ad tier list, that whatever's in the top tier has to get nerfed. That's what I took issue with, because that alone isn't a justification - there will always be a top tier. Then it became "the entire shooter class shouldn't ever be allowed to be meta", which is even worse.

Again, .52 doesn't even outclass other short-range shooters, we're seeing a perfectly healthy level of frontline diversity. It isn't a Pencil situation where it's mandatory on every team comp and invalidating every other option.
That was never my point. Stamper is top tier and it should probably stay that way. The issue I have is that .52 is on equal ground with Stamper despite requiring less than half the skill. Most good Stamper players need to be one-tricks or focus a big majority of their time on mastering the weapon. Literally anyone can pick up a .52 Gal and win fights. And it does outclass other shooters; it can contend with them and be ranked higher than them with a Killer Wail 5.1 it can't combo off of.

I don't have a particular beef with shooters, I just don't think any easy-to-use weapon should be meta. Most of them aren't, which is why I focus my attention on .52 and on Shot and ZAP. And I'm not saying all shooters shouldn't be meta. H-3 or Sploosh being meta would be fine in my eyes, because they actually have weaknesses.
I mean, imagine a Splatoon where the meta is Undercover Brella, Octobrush, Clash Blaster, Bloblobber, or three Tri-Sloshers. It's obscene.
That's how I perceive shooter metas. Honestly, I'd rather see an Undercover meta over .52 Gal meta.

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
It sounds like a mix of legitimate complaints and salt, to be honest.

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
It sounds like a mix of legitimate complaints and salt, to be honest.
sounds like too much salt and little complaints (even tho I barely complain about .52 gal) (the real complaint is the .96 gal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom