What other modes do you expect?

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
I think a fun mode would be a Co-op against the Octolings/Octarians, or a mode where you PLAY as the Octolings/Octarians. Maybe they could be a DLC costume, or maybe that coveted 5th amiibo item. Who knows.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think a fun mode would be a Co-op against the Octolings/Octarians, or a mode where you PLAY as the Octolings/Octarians. Maybe they could be a DLC costume, or maybe that coveted 5th amiibo item. Who knows.
That would definitely be really awesome. Octolings are a really neat concept to me.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
what if there was a FFA mode against 3 other people (4 total) and whoever has the most ink coverage wins? pretty much turf war without teams, it could be a ranked gamemode

only issue with that is it it's not team based

Lyn

Premium
what if there was a FFA mode against 3 other people (4 total) and whoever has the most ink coverage wins? pretty much turf war without teams, it could be a ranked gamemode

That would actually be great. I'd love having free for all turf war.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor

I really like that idea, sounds really cool!

Rescue22

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CheckMyAboutMe
I think it'd be cool if we could have a mode where one team are human Inklings and the other team is made of Inklings in squid form. The goal is to simply survive. The humans of course have their weapons while the squids don't. The squids have speed on their side and can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention. I'd love a mode like this!

Lyn

Premium
I think it'd be cool if we could have a mode where one team are human Inklings and the other team is made of Inklings in squid form. The goal is to simply survive. The humans of course have their weapons while the squids don't. The squids have speed on their side and can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention. I'd love a mode like this!
That actually sounds very unique and cool. I'd love to play that. :D

Rescue22

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CheckMyAboutMe
That actually sounds very unique and cool. I'd love to play that. :D
I hope they have a vast amount of different modes, to keep the game interesting and diverse all around. Although I love the standard mode, I think they can get even more creative with all of it! Can't wait to see what they come up with. :cool:

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
I think a sport type of game mode would be interesting. Like soccer or something. The two teams have a "goal" and there's some sort of ball that you could get to shoot into the opponents goal. I was inspired by water pullo when thinking of unique game types with squids and ink in mind.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
I suggested this in Squidboards BETA, but it'd be really cool if there was some sort of racing mechanic built into the game.
Players could race to acquire checkpoints by riding on walls as a squid, etc.

Wishful thinking, though it'd be interesting to see the squid mechanics be made that much more important in other game modes.

Lyn

Premium
I hope they have a vast amount of different modes, to keep the game interesting and diverse all around. Although I love the standard mode, I think they can get even more creative with all of it! Can't wait to see what they come up with. :cool:
Yeah, even if not at launch I'd love to see if they could come up with some cool gamemodes post launch. :)

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Search and Destroy type mode I love this mode due you only get one respawn and it feels really intense and you see some great clutch plays out teammates.
Basically this. Instead of terrorists vs. counter-terrorists, it's octolings vs. inklings.

The ink bomb has been planted...

Octolings win!

StarKun

Full Squid
I skimmed through the thread, but what about a mode where only kills count?

It would still have to use the strategy of ink and such

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Edit: Now that I think about it, an asymmetrical mode could be really interesting. One team could have a specific objective, maybe they need to defend a certain area or survive through the time limit, but when a person dies they join the other team and it carries on until the time is up, or all of the defending/surviving team are defeated.

Some other modes that would be interesting is an Attack/Defense mode. One team can either defend a singular point, several on the map at once, or defend several points but the enemy team has to capture them in order from A to B, to C, etc.

I think most game modes could be very interesting in Splatoon. The current ones are very balanced, which is good, but variety would be lovely.

I hope we get a TDM mode, that would be cool
I'm on the fence about a TDM mode. It could be pretty fun, but usually when I look at TDM matches in other shooters, people don't really work as a team. A possible way to fix that issue is to give each team a set number of respawns at the start of the match, and every player on the team shares those respawns. So if one person dies 8 times, that team has lost 8 possible respawns. You'd need to help and rely on your team a lot more than if it was just a regular TDM mode in most shooters.

Race. Could possibly convert already established maps by having required waypoints, but that might be too unbalanced towards specific weapons. Probably better for one-on-one or four-way free for all. Eight players would be a bit much.
I'd love a Race mode. That could provide some really interesting map designs. If they did implement that, it'd be cool if they created new maps specifically for that game type. Not that using current maps would be a bad idea, it'd just be cool to see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
I have an idea to refine the "War" mode that someone named Trevor mentioned:

What if, instead of capturing points, the maps are divided into something like -- number out of a hat -- five big regions. Each region works like a Zone in the Splat Zones mode, kind of like he was thinking, just it being an entire map section instead of a point. When one team covers a certain percentage of the ground in their color ink, they capture that region of the map. The first battle takes place over the center region in the same fashion. Likewise, once one team overwhelmingly inks that region, the next region closer to the enemy spawn point becomes active, and another battle takes place. If one team manages to capture each region down the line this way, so they own all five regions in this , they win! However, if the other team manages to fight their way back to the previous zone and ink it back, then the fight moves in the other direction. It would be kind of like a lot of segmented rapid-fire Turf Wars happening back-to-back in a single round, and it ties the mode back into the core mechanic of using your team color to control space.The only difference is instead of being entirely free-form, it has a fluctuating "front-line", so to speak.

It could get really interesting trying to move a team back as well, since, unless you splat all four enemies at once, the other members can just jump right back to the contested regions to keep their color on the ground. The invisible swimming would be a great asset too. You don't have to push the entire enemy team back into the zone they came from if they let you just swim around the back in a sneaky line of ink, or chain of puddles.

The only downside I have come up with for it being larger regions instead of little points is that it would take longer to capture an area, so matches may not bounce back and forth quite as quickly. However, I think the extra space might be needed since the weapons in Splatoon are built for coverage. Also, then the current Special weapons make a logical replacement for the momentum meter Trevor mentioned, since they assist your team in claiming ground.

What do you all think? You too Trevor, I did bounce this off your idea :)

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I have an idea to refine the "War" mode that someone named Trevor mentioned:

What if, instead of capturing points, the maps are divided into something like -- number out of a hat -- five big regions. Each region works like a Zone in the Splat Zones mode, kind of like he was thinking, just it being an entire map section instead of a point. When one team covers a certain percentage of the ground in their color ink, they capture that region of the map. The first battle takes place over the center region in the same fashion. Likewise, once one team overwhelmingly inks that region, the next region closer to the enemy spawn point becomes active, and another battle takes place. If one team manages to capture each region down the line this way, so they own all five regions in this , they win! However, if the other team manages to fight their way back to the previous zone and ink it back, then the fight moves in the other direction. It would be kind of like a lot of segmented rapid-fire Turf Wars happening back-to-back in a single round, and it ties the mode back into the core mechanic of using your team color to control space.The only difference is instead of being entirely free-form, it has a fluctuating "front-line", so to speak.

It could get really interesting trying to move a team back as well, since, unless you splat all four enemies at once, the other members can just jump right back to the contested regions to keep their color on the ground. The invisible swimming would be a great asset too. You don't have to push the entire enemy team back into the zone they came from if they let you just swim around the back in a sneaky line of ink, or chain of puddles.

The only downside I have come up with for it being larger regions instead of little points is that it would take longer to capture an area, so matches may not bounce back and forth quite as quickly. However, I think the extra space might be needed since the weapons in Splatoon are built for coverage. Also, then the current Special weapons make a logical replacement for the momentum meter Trevor mentioned, since they assist your team in claiming ground.

What do you all think? You too Trevor, I did bounce this off your idea :)
I actually really love this idea! I feel like I've seen this idea used in a game or two before... at least in a basic sense. A team needs to capture all points at once for them to win the match, except with your idea it utilizes the game's ink and you have to cover a certain area to cap it, not just sit and wait for a progress bar. In that sense, I like it more because you can very quickly take a point if all four members of a team are in range. It's a mix between Turf War and Splat Zones, except multiple zones that need to be capped at the same time. It'd be really cool to have this, though I wouldn't want the timer from Splat Zones to be in here. A regular timer like in Turf War would be fine. Capture all points to win, or control the most points when time runs out. I think matches of this game mode could last a little too long if there's no timer, but it'd still be awesome.

I can just imagine a team being pushed all the way back to their last point, until they manage to splat the entire enemy team at once and they make a big push and entirely reverse the roles. Something like that would be really fun to watch. Now I'm hoping they add some kind of spectator mode or something. It'd be great to watch some high-level games in the future if you ask me, especially because these modes will probably all have some good comeback potential. :D

I think some maps would work better than others for this. There could be a couple of smaller zones to make up for some larger ones, but it's hard to evenly separate some of the maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom