1v1 Private Battles

NLALEX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NLALEX
Hi guys, long time no see! Would you believe I've been busy?

Anyway, I was fiddling about with the Private Battle feature to see if I could get a setup that would make 1v1 games enjoyable ad not just tedious, and I think I managed to stumble upon some pretty solid rules which I detail in the video below.

However I know you lot are the real hardcore Splatooners so I was wondering if you had any ideas to refine or perhaps even entirely overhaul what's discussed in the vid. I think 1v1 battles certainly have a place in Splatoon but it's important we get the structure down to make it as fair and enjoyable as possible!

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
1v1 in splatoon is the most boring thing ever. I enjoy 1 vs 2's though

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Interesting stuff! I don't really understand why tenacity would be a problem with 1v1, since (as I understand it) it's only effective when your team has fewer active players than the opposing team. So, if you're both alive, or trade splats, then it won't make any difference, since the teams will be equally balanced. It will only take effect if just one person dies, and then only during the brief period that they're respawning, so if anything it's either useless or gives you a very slight benefit whenever you get killed. But perhaps I'm missing something?

In general, I think a key problem with 1v1 is that the maps aren't designed for it - if Nintendo produce some smaller maps with 1v1 in mind then it could be more viable.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
I think 1v1's can help improve on each other's gunning skills/interactions. So I say, each of you ink up your base until you get your special, and go out. Just run out to the other person and try to outgun him, whoever outguns first wins the 1v1. (Or have a set amount of outguns to reach to 'win') I would say also to be straightforward, and just run into each other without trying to surprise them, as that will only help you with situations in where you sneak up on people. I mean if you want to improve those situations, do those too as well. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot in getting the safest kill, as you won't always have that option.

I would say ignore inking to win. Yet I haven't tried it myself so I cannot say. But I'd only use this to help myself improve so I can beat players when I play seriously. Now if it was like League, maybe I could see it deff being viable, seeing as whoever is killed first would be worse off with a long timer.

I agree with a smaller map. Maybe the new rain maker mode might be suited to 1v1's?

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
I agree with a smaller map. Maybe the new rain maker mode might be suited to 1v1's?
Rainmaker would be the most balanced thing for 1v1 yeah. Since you have to bring the rainmaker to the enemy base its not that hard for the Defending person to take the Rainmaker person out

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Totally agree with this. My friend and I were playing this yesterday (as 1v1 is basically the only thing I can do on this game, thanks to my internet) before I even saw this :P. It was actually a really fun dynamic once I got the hang of Tower Control as a mode in general. We had some fun moments while I was using the Splash-o-Matic and he was changing between the Slosher, E-Liter 3k (Otherwise known as the 3 Liter EK, right @ehitburns ;) ) and the Splatling.

Interesting to say the least.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
A couple of other thoughts re 1v1:

I think it would actually work quite well with kills being the main objective. Splatoon's movement mechanics are sufficiently unusual that there's no risk of it degenerating into 'just another shooter'. In particular, the fact that squids can very quickly scale vertical surfaces, and the fact that you can restrict your opponent's movement by inking the floor, open up interesting possibilities in terms of map design and tactics.

In addition to small, asymertrical maps with lots of verticality, the game would benefit from two changes: more spawn points (and 'spawn farthest' flag) to prevent spawn camping, and (possibly) a time limit (something like twenty seconds) on how long ink remains on the floor - given the point about restricted movement, games could get very one sided very quickly if ink lasted the duration of the battle.

Anyway, this is all hypothetical as it's very unlikely that Nintendo will be interested in going down this route, but still it would be interesting if they did.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
What about the trades? What if you traded each time? : o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom