.52 Gal Deco in ranked/competitive

Madi-Kuma

Inkling
NNID
Madi-Kuma
Do many people use the .52 Gal Deco when it comes to competitive ranked?

It fast became my favourite weapon when I started getting more serious about my rank and playing ranked a lot more often. I’ve seen a lot of the regular .52 gal online (with the splash wall and killer wail), but not so much of the deco (with seekers and inkstrike). I get why a lot of people chose the regular – but just wondered what everyone’s thoughts were on the deco.

I mostly enjoy it for the seekers. They’re not something I rely on for taking out opponents, but they’re great for creating pathways (especially in rainmaker) or slightly deterring opponents, making them move away from certain pathways.

I’ve used the regular .52 on a couple occasions, but I always come back to the deco

What’s everyone’s thoughts on it?

the gear I use with it is:

HEAD: Paisley Bandanna
:ability_inksaversub:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

CLOTHES: :clothes_swt004:

:ability_damage:
:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

SHOES: :shoes_shi006:
:ability_runspeed:
:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Although I'm likely to change my headgear to this once I have it ready
:head_first:
:ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Seen it several times with rainmaker, not so much with other modes. During the initial run to the rainmaker you can shoot off several seekers towards it's shield before you can get actually get in shooting range of it, which is really useful.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
It's just a really bad weapon when compared to the original. The .52 gal is a pretty good gun in and of itself but the kit for the deco is horrendous. Seekers are very weak subs (I would only rank them above Ink Mines) and the Ink Strike, while not bad, is pretty much the worst special in the game and only outclasses Seeker Rush. There is nothing the .52 gal Deco does that the standard .52 gal doesn't do better.

Using a Seeker to rush to the Rainmaker is an interesting play and all, but it pales in comparison to the support you can get from laying down Splash Walls throughout the game and the map control of the Killer Wail. If you like using the .52 Deco you are free to do so and it doesn't make you a bad player for preferring it over the standard, but it is definitely the weaker version of the weapon.

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
Compared to the vanilla 52, the Deco's kit is garbage. Seekers are loud and can be jumped over, they also cost a lot of ink. They're not the worst special sure, but they can be useful in some situations.
The Inkstrike is probably the worst special weapon in the game, as you are left very vulnerable while using it, And people can see the red tip from the inkstrike, or hear you launching it. When the inkstrike is placed in a spot, players can see a marking from the inkstrike and just move out of the way of it. Worst case scenario, if used in a corridor or small hallway, it doesn't even cover as much ink as it should.

These two Things together make for a VERY bad kit. The main weapon is good, killing in two hits, but it can't defend itself as well as the vanilla .52 can. Like Neoseth said, the vanilla .52 can do anything the Deco variant can do, but better.

However, if you like the weapon, that's fine. Your not a bad player for using this weapon, but it is definitely weaker than the vanilla version. If you want to use that weapon, that is fine and I respect your opinion.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I personally love it, but I really wish it had a different special. Killer Wail does the job that Ink Strike does and does it over a longer area, making Ink Strike mostly useful in Turf War. (which is what this was not made for) Pretty much anything else would be better for it.

I do personally find Seekers more useful than Splash Walls for a Gal-If you can take people out so fast, why worry about protecting yourself? Being able to get up close fast feels better for this gun, and you can refill ink faster. (Splash Wall takes 2.67 seconds before refilling, Seekers, 1.17) You can also use them to make it harder for people to avoid your shots (Dodging both a Seeker and every shot is going to be tricky), or to make it easier for you to take on groups. (They all have to avoid the Seeker, and if one of them messes up, they have a nearby explosion to deal with. A Splash Wall in this situation wouldn't help a huge amount-With multiple opponents, it'll run out faster) The Splash Wall is still a fantastic sub, though.

The Paisley Bandana's definitely a good gear piece for it, but if you're switching it out for, the Blueberry Casuals have the same main ability and brand, so you can get the same thing if you don't mind losing the :ability_runspeed:.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
When I play turf wars I like using the seeker and inkstrike but for competitive play unless it's port mack I don't use the deco.
I actually love seekers and I don't think they take a whole lot of ink (I guess for some they do if it ends right into something in front of you) but the inkstrike kills it for competitive play. I love the wail.

Madi-Kuma

Inkling
NNID
Madi-Kuma
I personally love it, but I really wish it had a different special. Killer Wail does the job that Ink Strike does and does it over a longer area, making Ink Strike mostly useful in Turf War. (which is what this was not made for) Pretty much anything else would be better for it.

I do personally find Seekers more useful than Splash Walls for a Gal-If you can take people out so fast, why worry about protecting yourself? Being able to get up close fast feels better for this gun, and you can refill ink faster. (Splash Wall takes 2.67 seconds before refilling, Seekers, 1.17) You can also use them to make it harder for people to avoid your shots (Dodging both a Seeker and every shot is going to be tricky), or to make it easier for you to take on groups. (They all have to avoid the Seeker, and if one of them messes up, they have a nearby explosion to deal with. A Splash Wall in this situation wouldn't help a huge amount-With multiple opponents, it'll run out faster) The Splash Wall is still a fantastic sub, though.

The Paisley Bandana's definitely a good gear piece for it, but if you're switching it out for, the Blueberry Casuals have the same main ability and brand, so you can get the same thing if you don't mind losing the :ability_runspeed:.
Thanks for that! I may just try get the blueberry casuals ready! Run speed is nice but they might help out more in the long run.

Madi-Kuma

Inkling
NNID
Madi-Kuma
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
I think the vanilla .52 is something I wouldn't mind working on using, as the wail is something I definitely prefer over inkstrike. But at this stage, the deco is here to stay.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
As much as people love Splash Walls, they're on their way out, especially in the meta. Splash Walls are very rigid with what you can do with them, but are pretty easy to counter (especially with the nerfs). There are more ways of countering Splash Walls than there are of using them. Throwing a Seeker, Splat Bomb or Suction Bomb takes most of the Splash Wall's health. They can be destroyed before the user can even begin to refill their ink tank, leaving them very vulnerable.

Inkstrikes have their place in the meta, and can be used very effectively to hinder the enemy team. I've been seeing a lot more .52 Decos in the past few days, and less of the vanilla. The base weapon is as good as ever, and you're putting in enough damage to maintain the 2-shot splat once you have the headband sorted. I don't think the Ink Saver Main is overly useful, since the .52 is pretty ink efficient for its range and power. Keep with 1 main, 3 subs of damage up, and try to have a decent balance of Swim and Run speed, as both can make the weapon very mobile.

If you ask me, Bomb Rush is the worst special, since most people ignore their main weapon during it and get splatted because of it. Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush takes a while to explode. Use the Inkstrike to support pushes in Rainmaker and Tower, targeting areas that the enemy are using to attack the Tower or Rainmaker. An effective strategy is to use an Inkstrike on the Tower in Extra Time (Overtime) if the enemy are losing, as they have to abandon the Tower (or get splatted), leaving your team free to claim the Tower immediately. You can use the Inkstrike to paint a path ahead of the Rainmaker, allowing them to swim forwards and get the crucial points.

You can't argue that Inkstrike is bad because it's easy to avoid, as that just as easily applies to the Killer Wail. Killer Wail leaves you more vulnerable when firing because you have to aim and hit ZR, whereas you can activate the Inkstrike and tap a good spot to attack in seconds. Both are similar in that sense, but Killer Wail lasts longer and cuts a tunnel whereas Inkstrike takes turf, but is shorter and attacks a big circle rather than a long tunnel. Killer Wail/Splash Walls/Seekers all excel on the long and narrow maps, as Seekers allow flanks with Seeker surfing (beware of players aware of this), Splash Walls block the narrow side paths (why they are so good at Port) and Killer Wail blocks off a lot of map on narrow maps (.52 Gal is really powerful on Port). Inkstrikes can trap people on narrow maps, but are more effective on maps with more turf space, as it hinders enemy movement more. Both specials are good at spacing and forcing players to retreat, whereas the sub is about defence vs offence, Splash Walls are better for defence, Seekers are better for pushing forwards and attacking. If you like the .52 Deco, than by all means carry on using it, there's no need to switch weapon variant because it's more popular.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I cannot ever say that Splash Walls are bad, and I certainly cannot say they're worse than Seekers. They can now be dealt with more easily by using bombs, but using bombs of any kind does require a large ink investment. You are forcing a play from them if they want to destroy the wall. The Killer Wail's area denial is also much farther reaching and longer lasting than the Inkstrike. I did say I didn't think the Inkstrike was a bad special. Seeker Rush is the only flat-out BAD special I can think of in the game (thought Bubbler is pretty bad on the Inkbrush Nouveau). Inkstrike can be pretty powerful on Arowana Mall or Ancho-V games Splat Zones in particular, but combined with Seekers it does make for an inferior kit when compared to the regular .52. Seekers just have such limited usability with the lag upon using them, ease of avoiding them and ease of covering your opponent's options when they use their Seeker. I do agree that if someone enjoys the Deco they should keep playing it (and I said as much), but I cannot endorse it from a competitive standpoint in any fashion.

Bomb Rushes are also pretty powerful. Yeah a lot of people suck at the defending themselves when using it, but that's player error and not the fault of the special. It poses a massive offensive threat and covers a lot of turf. Again, it suppresses an area for a longer time than an Inkstrike (though at the cost of a longer start-up if you're using Suction Bombs).

Also, @GirlyMii I would say the default .52 is AMAZING on Port Mackerel, easily outclassing the deco. You easily shut down alleys with Splash Walls and Killer Wails are amazing on that map. Especially in solo queue, where people won't necessarily be playing the meta and you will see weapons that simply canNOT deal with Walls. Again, if you just like using the Deco for some reason, go ahead haha. Just putting the info out there.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For competitive play, I would have to agree with @NeoSeth. The vanilla is a better all-around kit that has defensive and area denial capabilities alongside an awesome offensive gun. Walls are simply too useful, even with the nerfs, to pass up. And with the lack of quality weapons with walls (you've got the .52 and .96 deco), there doesn't seem to be a reason NOT to run it.

If you want seekers for some reason, the AeroMG at least gives you inkzooka, which can be charged quickly. But once again...probably not competitive.

If you want inkstrike, I would wager that the Wasabi is now the best kit for that, as it gives you splat bombs and still provides the mobility, covering power, and quick TTK that the .52 has. Although, I'm not sure if this even going to find its way into competitive teams. Having two walls with two gals seems just really powerful, even with the nerfs. And the tentatek or newly buffed neo splash still gives you the inkzooka.

I do love the .52 deco in TW though. So much fun. It was the first shooter I picked up when I was still a newb squid. It seems more designed for that mode, honestly.

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
The .52 really just is better. I can't say that seekers are better thanks splash walls. Although seekers do have their uses, for example, splatting a sniper or making them lose focus to try and splat them. (IM LOOKING AT YOU SEEKER BOMB RUSH, CHHHHHHHAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGEEE)
Seekers are also good for moving into battle.

Splash wall does have it's disadvantages though. If a bomb is thrown over the splash wall or at it, this can cause trouble for the user. A lot of the stages that the .52 can do well on, the Deco variant can also do well on them. Use weapons you like, and no one can bash your opinion for liking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom