• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

.96 Gal Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
In B at least this weapon is a beast in tower control. Do not be fooled by its low fire rate. For the same range, it kills faster than a Jet squelcher.
Ways to abuse this weapon:

1) stay out of the range of blasters,rollers and higher fire rate weapons like tentateks,Jr, Zapper etc.
2) If you need to defend a position/tower, use the wall,
3) Minimize your movements, play more like a charger but with sporadic movements. You dont have to be perched all the time. Move within safety distance of the tower or zone.
4) Do not over extend with your kraken. Use it to scatter the enemy then use your wall to regain composure.
5) For arowana mall, do not enter the SZ if given the choice. If you do, you will keep getting splatted endlessly.
6) For skatepark, use your wall on the centre tower structure. If you move back sufficiently before throwing the wall, it will land just on the edge.
7) For bluefin, use the wall immediately after you climbed the enemy platform or on the SZ at the first engagement.
8) 3 ink saver main because this beast drinks ink like a camel.

And welcome to the class of 96!
This so much. Wall is great on moray too because like with the tower on black belly, you can get the wall to sit right on the edge of the top portion of your side that enemies like to climb. Like what e liters like to sit up on and snipe from. Stops people from climbing up your side and gives you protection from e liters ^w^. Gotta be wary of them going the long way up though.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
One quick thing I want to mention: the Jet Squelcher outranges the 96 Gal, but only by a little bit. A Jet Squelcher that stays at a distance will kill a 96 Gal, but the 96 Gal can win if it's trading shots with a Jet Squelcher.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
One quick thing I want to mention: the Jet Squelcher outranges the 96 Gal, but only by a little bit. A Jet Squelcher that stays at a distance will kill a 96 Gal, but the 96 Gal can win if it's trading shots with a Jet Squelcher.
True. The jet is almost a charger type. The jet is the only non charger weapon that I will throw a wall first then instead of moving back i move towards him just like i would do for chargers.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
Man this weapon is just so good overall! 96 Gal was already a decent powerhouse by itself. I was using this for quite awhile until I reverted back to my other main weapons because people would always bring this gun along in Ranked games. Splash Wall is about the only thing I had issues using to the fullest of its abilities though (I guess defensive is not my strong suit), and that is what held me back personally with this weapon's true power.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Bringing this back, what gear abilities are you all finding to be most efficient/synergistic with this and the non-Deco version?

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Bringing this back, what gear abilities are you all finding to be most efficient/synergistic with this and the non-Deco version?
Aside from staples such as Ink Resistance and Cold Blooded, I've always focused on ink efficiency abilities (Ink Saver (Main); Ink Recovery Up; and to a lesser extent, Ink Saver (Sub)). The .96 Gal's ink efficiency isn't as bad as that of the Splattershot Pro, but it's still not great, and you generally want to have some ink left after throwing down a Splash Wall or Sprinkler. Tenacity and Special Charge Up wouldn't be bad choices either, and Swim Speed Up can help you get a bit more out of the Kraken. I personally wouldn't bother with Run Speed Up, since even with the boost, your movement speed while firing will still be very poor.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Aside from staples such as Ink Resistance and Cold Blooded, I've always focused on ink efficiency abilities (Ink Saver (Main); Ink Recovery Up; and to a lesser extent, Ink Saver (Sub)). The .96 Gal's ink efficiency isn't as bad as that of the Splattershot Pro, but it's still not great, and you generally want to have some ink left after throwing down a Splash Wall or Sprinkler. Tenacity and Special Charge Up wouldn't be bad choices either, and Swim Speed Up can help you get a bit more out of the Kraken. I personally wouldn't bother with Run Speed Up, since even with the boost, your movement speed while firing will still be very poor.

This is what I've been going, mainly. Debating on whether it's best to swap things around a bit to see if I can fit something with Cold-Blooded or Ink Recovery Up on.

LinkLuigi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
LinkLuigi730

This is what I've been going, mainly. Debating on whether it's best to swap things around a bit to see if I can fit something with Cold-Blooded or Ink Recovery Up on.
The .96 Gal Deco is a weapon used to zone and kill enemies from afar. The use of Ink Saver (Sub and Main) is nice as you'll need it when you use splash walls for defensive play. You've also kept in mind of your very crucial Kraken special and so two pieces of your gear are pure with special charge up, with the addition of Tenacity. Overall, you have a nice setup for this weapon set and I am inspired to use something like this.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
*mega bump/necro*

So I picked this up for the lulz yesterday when I was having a bit of a bad streak with the rest of my usual weapons. OMG. Is there any need for the splattershot pro with this thing around? If there was ever a gun that just invalidated a whole class of weapons (long range shooters), then this is it.

Is there a compelling reason to use any gun with similar range over the .96 Deco (and to a slightly lesser extent the vanilla .96)?

It covers turf decent enough for turf wars and kills everything well enough for ranked. It can play defensive and aggressive.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
.96 Gal is unstable at greater distances, while the Pro has a much more straight shot. That's not to say that the .96 Gal is bad at a distance (suppressing fire from a weapon threatening a 2HKO at that distance is still daunting in many situations).

Dual Squelchers have a higher fire rate, have better movement (which can be nice in a firefight against the other weapons of comparable range, which are slower and more prone to being threatened by enemy ink) and generally ink the ground noticeably better.

Jet Squelchers actively outrange it, meaning they threaten at a distance without being at significant risk.

Ideally, they all have their place. The raw power of the .96 Gal combined with Splash Walls is hard to deny, even after the significant Splash Wall nerf. I'd say that not investing in Damage Up means you can invest elsewhere, but stuff for ink management is highly encouraged instead.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
Bit of a bump.

I've been playing around with some different gear builds, but the .96 Deco's versatility makes it so hard to pick one. I need some opinions from ya'll.

:head_eye005::ability_damage: :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

OR

:head_met002::ability_swimspeed: :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tel003::ability_damage: :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Thoughts? The top set features Ink Recovery over a second Swim Speed. Is Damage Up necessary? Special Duration?

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
Looks good! The Damage Up pieces are remnants of a Custom Jet Squelcher set I previously ran, so I was tempted to keep them.

Tested it out last night, and I was very much pleased. The Special Duration Up, though small, gave me juuuuuust enough extra time to secure an extra couple splats with Kraken. SZ on Museum is rough. :/

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
For squishy maps like Museum I run Forge because of the accuracy and point sensors, It's a nice alternative.
I run this set for 96 deco and Forge because it helps with my defensive play style.
Cycle King Cap: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tes003:::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht002:::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub:

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
For squishy maps like Museum I run Forge because of the accuracy and point sensors, It's a nice alternative.
I run this set for 96 deco and Forge because it helps with my defensive play style.
Cycle King Cap: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tes003:::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht002:::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub:
And the ink tank was never empty...

I've considered switching back to the CJS for Museum, but I really want to develop a solid .96 Deco game before I go running back to the main.

What other abilities are people running on this weapon? I've seen some people in Ranked running Ink Saver Sub, but I never thought the benefits to be worth the cost.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Heres my set

5x ink recovery lets me refill my ink quick enough that I don't need main saver (granted my hat has ink saver main x1 but the odds of x3 quick respawn is so low I decided to not even attempt for it). 1 main and x3 quick respawn is amazingly effective. Its also like my safety net since as I like to refer to it, the 96 gal is the RNGal since sometimes it's deadly accurate and other times even with the reticle on the enemy you miss all your shots. And swim speed is nice for when I'm a kraken and when I'm not a kraken.

I was thinking of using cold blooded, but often times the enemy knows I'm there anyways thanks to splash wall. And I like to play defense/support to my teammates. I'm still working on using the splash wall effectively, I used to main the .52 back before the august update hit, but since then I haven't touched a wall since the nerfs kind of threw me off of them. However the 96 deco literally fits my playstyle perfectly, and I found that 5x ink recovery can really help mitigate the ink recovery nerf to the wall.

The setup is also pleasing to the eye, well unless you hate green. ^w^

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
with the new patch coming out next week your now not guaranteed a two hit kill so 1 dam main will probably be needed or a few subs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom