A "friendly" rant

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
Hello, I want to start off by saying that this was in no way a collaboration with the other moderators/administrators, they may agree with me, but this is just my opinion/rant.

There seems to be a problem emerging from the Splatoon Multiplayer, a problem that is causing me and MANY others to have a...to put it in nice words...less than enjoyable experience. This problem started off small, being practiced by only a few individuals. It has now grown to encompass most of my matches and it is starting to make me annoyed. So what am I talking about!?

FRIENDLIES!

These people do not play the game as it is supposed to, they usually hop from squid to kid mode rapidly while scoring below 100pts (which I can usually get just by inking a path from spawn to mid at the first 10 seconds of the match).These are not people who are new, these are not people who are afg (away from gamepad), these are people who are deliberately not doing anything productive and it is getting me a tad upset (a lot more than just "a tad"). I used to see very few of them and very seldom at that. Now it has become every other match with every other person (at least it seems like it). What pushed me over the breaking point to write this thread was my recent match, two of my teammates being "Friendly" YES HALF OF THE TEAM! Can you guess who lost that match?

I'm sick of this. Smash 4 has the same problem of having a lot of friendlies, but at least in that game you can add a person at the end of the match so it has SOME (very little) reason to exist. In splatoon, there is no feature like that (at least I haven't found it yet) so I see NO point in doing this. It is taking away the experience from people who WANT TO PLAY THE GAME!

Thankfully I have not seen many friendlies on ranked, maybe because I don't get paired with them because I have a rank higher than C- (this is not insulting anyone in the C- rank, but friendlies have a very high chance of being in that rank due to them not contributing anything to their team).

I hope that many of you on the website do not practice this behavior in public matches. I have seen many of the people on squidboards, including myself, dedicated to creating new techniques and improving the competitive scene of Splatoon, so I believe that I am with people who share a similar view point.

There is not much we can do about this...but if you really want to contribute then just kill the friendlies, it's a free kill anyways. Don't let them spread to other individuals. If you are doing this behavior, then I politely ask to stop please. It makes people who really want to play the game very annoyed. Starting tomorrow (August 5th) custom matches can be made so you can play with your friends, that is the place to be friendly, not turf wars or any other public gamemode.

I'm done ranting now. I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes because I did this right after the match with two friendlies so I was kinda aggravated. My purpose was not to insult anyone, but to try to get this small movement to stop before it becomes a huge problem.

Thanks for reading.

f
f

f

Last edited:

Silentsoul

Inkling
NNID
Silentsoul
I have only just started playing Splatoon last Friday, and I have seen this everyday in Multiplayer, as a new player to Splatoon seeing this happen a lot fills me with dread for the next game. My 3 pack of Amiibos came today so I have been doing the challenges on those to calm myself down lol.

But once I get to a higher lvl and a better understanding of Splatoon I would be looking to join up with a few players, to so we don't get those players that seem to want to ruin a great game for everyone else.

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
Saw this twice yesterday but not in regular battles but in RANKED. I left the lobby and things were better.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
You have to make your own fun in turf war since you can't really rely on your team being good.

That is why the Inkbrush because it's kind of like bring a sword to a gun fight, and I can usually get a lot of sneaky kills with it before the match is over.

It doesn't spread ink as well as the aerospray but the sprinkler and inkstrike work perfectly for inking and with some of my sneaking strategies.

Jaymz

Inkling
NNID
jaymz26
I also get quite irritated with this

I do anticipate the August update fixing the problem to some extent, though. I think the update will provide an opportunity for solid team strategies and hopefully produce a more serious crowd when it comes to matchmaking. We shall see.

Das

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DasIsKing
Does it count when you are in a Ranked match, and instead of getting on the tower, everyone is jumping around it - instead of getting on it? Or is that some kind of crappy strategy that people have picked up?

Regardless, I have noticed that there are a high number of people getting the default points and not getting any splats, or splatting - is that a network communication issue? I'm going to check to see next time if my teammates are just F*ing around.

Njok

Bouncer
I've come across it a few times, but in my experience it's mostly just a group of friends trying to play together, hoping i will leave the lobby to free up the space for their other friends to enter. Which i do. I don't mind it that much, plus it's a problem that will be fixed tomorrow i suppose.

That said, i do just kill them if they are squidbagging around. They can have their fun after i leave, so let me have mine too :P

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
People should be able to report players. Those who are getting a lot should get locked out. If they play five games and are reported three times, why shouldnt they be punished?

If private lobbies stop this, fair enough. But people shouldnt be able to ruin the game for others. Just going to bring the game down, we should all be helping the game get bigger.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I've come across it a few times, but in my experience it's mostly just a group of friends trying to play together, hoping i will leave the lobby to free up the space for their other friends to enter. Which i do. I don't mind it that much, plus it's a problem that will be fixed tomorrow i suppose.

That said, i do just kill them if they are squidbagging around. They can have their fun after i leave, so let me have mine too :p
There was someone on Reddit who witnessed the same thing but stayed with them for over 10 matches. I bet that group of people will be pretty happy tomorrow haha.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
People should be able to report players. Those who are getting a lot should get locked out. If they play five games and are reported three times, why shouldnt they be punished?

If private lobbies stop this, fair enough. But people shouldnt be able to ruin the game for others. Just going to bring the game down, we should all be helping the game get bigger.
Whoa, dude. Calm down.

1. Why would you want to punish the people trying to have fun, just like you, only in a different way?

2. If it's ruining the game for you, leave the lobby.

I've done it with friends and it's fun. If you don't like it, leave the lobby and go find other people to play with.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I'm sick of this. Smash 4 has the same problem of having a lot of friendlies, but at least in that game you can add a person at the end of the match so it has SOME (very little) reason to exist. In splatoon, there is no feature like that (at least I haven't found it yet) so I see NO point in doing this.
It can be done by looking at "Users Played With" under "Friend List" outside of the game but not ingame. I got one person like that but not by doing friendlies but probably because we stuck around for a long time under the same Splatfest Team playing as it should be played.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Whoa, dude. Calm down.

1. Why would you want to punish the people trying to have fun, just like you, only in a different way?

2. If it's ruining the game for you, leave the lobby.

I've done it with friends and it's fun. If you don't like it, leave the lobby and go find other people to play with.
If its fun make a private lobby and do as you will. The game is 4vs4. It's not fair on the other players, leaving the lobby is an option to potentially get another. Regardless you waste people's time. It's not a turf war if you are making it 4vs2, you deserve to be reported for ruining other people's fun.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
If its fun make a private lobby and do as you will. The game is 4vs4. It's not fair on the other players, leaving the lobby is an option to potentially get another. Regardless you waste people's time. It's not a turf war if you are making it 4vs2, you deserve to be reported for ruining other people's fun.
Well, sorry, private lobbies aren't a thing until later today.

Who said I waste people's time? If anything, it lets the other players on the team who are actually playing to cover more turf and get more kills off of the people joking around.

Thanks! I'd rather be reported than play with people like you who take it too seriously.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
What is even the point in this thread? The day after this post was sent up, is the day we get private lobbies. Besides, its turf war. The wins and loses hold zero weight in that "casual" game mode.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
could almost swear this is a lead-in to a corny commercial advertising the new private lobbies.

seriously none of this matters. probably your first mistake was expecting something out random lobbies

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
What is even the point in this thread? The day after this post was sent up, is the day we get private lobbies. Besides, its turf war. The wins and loses hold zero weight in that "casual" game mode.
It is still a team based game so it makes it annoying for those who want to get a few casual games in before work, etc. There seems to be a misconception that people who play casual games don't mind losing or really care about games at all and that isn't the case. Winning a few games? No big deal. Leaving the lobby of someone doing this only to get stuck in another lobby with the same stuff? I can see it being irritating.
I agree this thread really doesn't have too much of a point because the update will be coming today so hopefully that lets everyone have fun in the way they like most.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Well, sorry, private lobbies aren't a thing until later today.

Who said I waste people's time? If anything, it lets the other players on the team who are actually playing to cover more turf and get more kills off of the people joking around.

Thanks! I'd rather be reported than play with people like you who take it too seriously.
Just because private lobbies weren't a thing until now is not an excuse for not contributing anything in a public match. Just because you have a different idea of fun does not mean you can ruin other people's idea of fun.

You can still have fun, but remember that if you are playing with random people, at least contribute something to the team. Because all you are doing is ruining their fun.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Sometimes I do sandbag pretty hard if I have a friend who's trying to join and no one is leaving lol.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
Just because private lobbies weren't a thing until now is not an excuse for not contributing anything in a public match. Just because you have a different idea of fun does not mean you can ruin other people's idea of fun.

You can still have fun, but remember that if you are playing with random people, at least contribute something to the team. Because all you are doing is ruining their fun.
Does covering the base count as 'contributing'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom