• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

A Major change I would like to see for Splatoon 4

☆Oblivion☆

Senior Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Oblivion_spl
Switch Friend Code
SW-8277-3410-3718
Have you ever felt like you play like you are a few ranks lower than you actually are when you take a weapon you have not played much of into ranked? I have and I want to see a change, similar to smash bros where there are individual rankings for each weapon you play, and you have to get each weapon to S+ individually to unlock that specific weapon into X rank and you can only play the weapons you have gotten to that position.

For this to happen they would need to reconsider how ranking works, so that would mean to get rid of the whole seasonal de-rank in order to make grinding less of a hassle which it always should've been, like in the first two games. This will make the game a more enjoyable experience and allow players to feel more comfortable trying out new weapons they want to learn outside of turf and make them feel like they are making progress with the weapon they are learning.

I want to see your thoughts on this, doy you think there better ways to go about it or whatever?

Flango

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/him
I think that should only apply down to a point, like once you hit A or S with one weapon you’ll be able to hit it with most weapons, so the separate rankings should probably only start after that point.

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I think if they were to add something like that, it should be class-specific and not weapon-specific. Sure shooters are a huge class, so that might be a problem. But man it would be so annoying if I had to unlock all the splatlings and their kits separately.
What if I wanted to play a couple rounds of Rainmaker with Naut 79 but I only have Naut 47 unlocked in S+? I guess I'll just vanish into the ether, never to be seen again. Gone with the wind.

Cephalobro

I think if they were to add something like that, it should be class-specific and not weapon-specific. Sure shooters are a huge class, so that might be a problem. But man it would be so annoying if I had to unlock all the splatlings and their kits separately.
What if I wanted to play a couple rounds of Rainmaker with Naut 79 but I only have Naut 47 unlocked in S+? I guess I'll just vanish into the ether, never to be seen again. Gone with the wind.
I agree, it would only worsen the grind, which Splatoon 3 already has too much of when trying to do anything multiplayer-related. I just want to see so much less grinding in general in Splatoon 4, heck I wouldn't even mind if they got rid of badges entirely, or at least the leaderboard-based badges.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Personally I would LOVE the granularity of having a separate rank for each weapon + mode combo just because I like having that data available, and would like to practice new weapons with lower stakes, but I understand that comes with a lot of problems. I think maybe it could work if, in addition to those separate ranks, you had a relational algorithm that spanned classes and game modes that would impact your ranks for other weapons/modes based on your performance with similar weapons. For example if you reached S on one weapon in one mode, other similar weapons in the class would be boosted automatically to maybe A+ in that mode if they were not, and all weapons would get a slight boost in rank for that mode in particular. Maybe the more weapons you mastered in a class, the closer the unplayed weapons in that class would rank up to the ranks you had those weapons at, even if you haven't played them. Essentially the more you play one weapon the less you have to grind the others, but you can still use weapons you're less familiar with in a slightly lower-rank environment and not have it negatively impact the ranks you have on the other weapons if it takes you a while to get used to them. This would also prevent people from say, getting to X on one weapon and then going all the way back to C with a new weapon and just steamrolling everyone there, since there is a lot more to being skilled at this game than just specific weapon experience.

Realistically though, the actual math on how and when everything scales would probably need to be balanced and tweaked a lot and overall probably end up too overcomplicated and confusing for a game marketed to a younger audience (but then again, you don't need to necessarily understand the exact math to get the general idea of how it works). And it would still be imperfect, since two weapons in the same class can sometimes require totally different skillsets. But it's fun to think about and one can dream I guess.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i think the main reason i don't like this idea is because...
Have you ever felt like you play like you are a few ranks lower than you actually are when you take a weapon you have not played much of into ranked?
...no, not really lol

being at S or S+ is at least 50% about your mindset and not just about your mechanical skill. i don't think it is the average experience of someone that they play splattershot to S+, then pick up any other weapon, and suddenly it feels like they're back at B or C rank. they're still an S+ player and even if they switched to a charger and hit like 2 shots per game, they would probably still do better than C rank players around them would, because they're just gonna be Smarter about the game

i think it could work if they keep the x-rank system in splatoon 4 and make it so you calculate a unique power for each weapon in specifically that mode. that would be a pretty reasonable idea to me, since i can easily envision the benefits of keeping track of how well you do with specific weapon-mode combinations, without any of the problems of making your entire rank dependent on it. as long as splatoon maintains some mode like anarchy open where losses aren't punished basically at all, i think it's already pretty easy to pick up a new weapon and learn it within your current rank, and i think it would actively discourage experimentation if they made it so you had to start all the way from the beginning every time you wanna try something new

Hikarimoon

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Three words:
PLAYABLE. BLACK. INK.
Just bc parallel canon gets to have it doesn’t mean us players can’t have it
Also new protagonist of the dlc pls.
Poor agent 8, always getting tortured by agent 4 clone ripoffs :( seriously though, they deserve a break

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
we got to see black ink for toni kensa promo in splat 2 but that’s it.

it would be cool but i don’t think they will do it, it doesn’t match the style of the rest of the game’s colors. they might it for certain splatfests, which could be really cool but i think for the most part they won’t give it to us.

also for all the problems in splatoon 3, that is an interesting and very specific thing to want for the next game, but you know what maybe it’s just about the small things sometimes.

Cephalobro

After the Chicken vs Egg Splatfest's confusing colors, Nintendo generally prefers using more visible ink colors. And as much as it disappoints me to say this, black ink would blend too much to some of the surfaces in-game.

It made sense for black ink to be the enemy ink in Side Order because most of the surfaces were white or off-white, making it clearly visible to the player.

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
Personally I would LOVE the granularity of having a separate rank for each weapon...
I'm really with you on this-- I want that data to exist in a variety of ways, and I'd love some way to make learning new weapons easier sometimes with more forgiving environments, but I also don't want it to have to impact my lobbies and queues.

Hikarimoon

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Well, at least Agent 5. Marie mentioned them in Octo Canyon Dialogue but that’s it. This might mean that there may be a possibility that Five is going to appear at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom