Ability Chunks - Splatoon 2

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Yesterday I decided to look at my list of ability chunks I managed to save up after continuously grinding the coin I needed to keep scrubbing my gear. I noticed that in order to put in multiple abilities of the same chunk (ie: a shirt with 3 inksavers) I would have to save up at least 60 units of the same ability chunk. This is because for every ability of the same chunk that is already installed, you need 10 more than the last.

Example:

Let's say I have that same shirt I mentioned but it has no abilities attached. All three slots are empty. This is how it will go. For those of you who didn't know about this, read on.

The first ability chunk will only require 10 units to install on the first ability slot.
The second ability chunk will require 20 units to install on the second ability slot.
The third ability chunk will require 30 units to install on the third ability slot.

This is all assuming you use the same chunk every time.

But now let's say that same shirt has one of the three empty slots fitted with a ability chunk but it's NOT the inksaver. Let's say it's the Ninja Squid ability. That means I will only be able to install two of the Inksaver ability chunks. The second slot will only require 10 units of the Inksaver Ability chunk and the final slot with only 20 units of the same thing.

So as long as you are not stacking the same ability chunks into the same gear, the minimum number of units needed to install an ability chunk is 10. This made me realize there is a cheaper way to stack abilities.

Let's say I have a headset with 3 Special Savers, a shirt with 3 Special Duration Up, and a pair of shoes with 3 Special Charge Up. Overall I have to save up 60 units of Special Saver ability chunks, 60 units of Special Duration Up, and 60 units of Special Charge Up if I want to have this setup. That is a grand total of 180 units of ability chunks just to have this setup. Considering how long it takes for me to grind the coin needed to get the chunks I need, that is too much to ask for.

Now let's say I have a headset with 1 Special Saver, 1 Special Duration Up, and 1 Special Charge Up. The shirt and shoes have the same arrangement. 1-1-1. Overall I now only need to save up 90 units for the whole thing. That is half the original investment, half the time, effort and coin needed to get this setup.

Now I am curious to know how effective this setup could be since none of the ability chunks are stacking in the same gear. Wish me luck as I get there.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
From what I know, both methods of gear would have the same effect. In general many people prefer getting triple and pure gear since it is easier to customize combinations where you want at least 1 main/3 subs of each ability you stack. (For instance, a pure Ink Saver Main hat would work with many sets, while one with 1 Special Charge Up, 1 Run Speed Up, and 1 Quick Super Jump would need to be used with a weapon that can take advantage of all 4 abilities).

Nevertheless, don't try to fill up the whole set of gear with chunks. Use either the brand affinity or drink tickets to try to naturally roll 1-2 desired abilities if you want to really save chunks. Rather than do three different subs, it may actually be a better idea to do this. Assume a gear set wants Ink Recovery, Ink Resistance, and Swim Speed. Drink tickets solid odds for getting at least two subs, allowing someone to set up gear like this after a few attempts.
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_coldblooded::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Now, with the two ability gear, replace the unwanted abilities with a ability from another piece using chunks. For example:
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This allows you to get the same gear set with only 30 chunks, and it isn't too much of a challenge to get the abilities if you have a steady supply of drinks (It's possible too with brand favored abilities, but harder to get.) Anyways, hope this helped.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
This does indeed work, and will save you plenty of chunkage. But there's a lot more to consider if you go for such a setup though. For example, it's a great idea if you're only ever going to use those three pieces of gear together. But, it will make you a lot less flexible if you, say, wanted to change out a SCU for a different ability instead. The reason everybody likes to go for triples is because you can much more easily mix and match your gear on the fly to whatever you feel like.

If you really feel like you have your kit absolutely set in stone, and are comfy with using just that, then go for it. Don't forget you have things like drink tickets and brands on your side. You don't necessarily need 60 chunks, and could spend 30 (50 if you're unlucky) just to fill out the final slot(s). Just stuff to consider with how many chunks you're saving.

Oh, and, Ninja Squid isn't a stackable sub ability -- just a main ability, ahha.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is a fine approach for people who want a distinct and specific look visually. Mixing and matching clothing is a great perk, as stated, but if you really like how 3 pieces of gear look together you can save some chunks setting it in stone as Otter Power described. Squiliam's method is also valid, some very good advice to be had in this thread. There's several different approaches to gear, experiment and find out what works best for you!

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
From what I know, both methods of gear would have the same effect. In general many people prefer getting triple and pure gear since it is easier to customize combinations where you want at least 1 main/3 subs of each ability you stack. (For instance, a pure Ink Saver Main hat would work with many sets, while one with 1 Special Charge Up, 1 Run Speed Up, and 1 Quick Super Jump would need to be used with a weapon that can take advantage of all 4 abilities).

Nevertheless, don't try to fill up the whole set of gear with chunks. Use either the brand affinity or drink tickets to try to naturally roll 1-2 desired abilities if you want to really save chunks. Rather than do three different subs, it may actually be a better idea to do this. Assume a gear set wants Ink Recovery, Ink Resistance, and Swim Speed. Drink tickets solid odds for getting at least two subs, allowing someone to set up gear like this after a few attempts.
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_coldblooded::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Now, with the two ability gear, replace the unwanted abilities with a ability from another piece using chunks. For example:
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This allows you to get the same gear set with only 30 chunks, and it isn't too much of a challenge to get the abilities if you have a steady supply of drinks (It's possible too with brand favored abilities, but harder to get.) Anyways, hope this helped.
Hmm, didn't think of that. Thanks for the info. I will look up references for which brand favors which set of abilities and couple those with the drinks from Crusty Sean.

Speaking of Sean, I can't stop imagining one day seeing someone cosplay as him at some anime convention complete with his own food truck. WOOMY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom