• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ability chunks???

Paswalt

Inkling
How are you even supposed to make good gear? I was lucky and my shoes got 3 of the stats I wanted. I tried to get the last stat with a Food Coupon but it still failed (tbh Food almost never works for me) and if you already have 2 abilities you have to pay 30 chunks??? This is insane. I Play salmon run whenever it's up I'm currently at 220% Bonus Points and still lack of These chunks. Remove them from other gear is inefficient and expensive. Why is the only good way to get them the splatfest? That's so stupid. Because I couldn't Play during the last one... I hope the next one will come soon

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Yeah, the game does reward those who play more with greater cash flow, and thus, a wider supply of chunks.

The way the drinks are meant to be used, as it was explained to me, is as an addition to the brand of gear that corresponds to the ability perk you want. For instance, if the Krak-On brand provides swim speed, and you add a swim speed drink on top of it, you can farm those chunks more easily for those 20 rounds.

I would do two whole days of salmon run, or whatever you feel gives you the most money in the shortest amount of time, and then pop the drink and put on a new piece of gear with the brand you need for the ability perks you are looking for.

If not the most effient way, it is at least what has worked for me.

Zovnig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zovnig
Switch Friend Code
SW-7684-8628-6291
I like this system. if it wasn't difficult or if it didn't take a lot og grinding they might as well just give us the gear we wanted from the get go. I'm 6 chunks from making my perfect shirt and when i get it, i know i earned it.

Kaze

Pro Squid
I have had more luck with the ability drinks on gear without the right brand, I got the Mask and Shoes pure without spending any ability chunks on them, while I got x2 :ability_runspeed: subs and x1 random sub on my jacket which I had to spend x30 :ability_runspeed:chunks on to make it pure and none of these gear pieces has Rockenberg as brand which boost the chance of getting :ability_runspeed: subs.

I have had great success with farming ability chunks in Salmon Run since I enjoy it, so I can easily farm duplicate gear all the way to 10.000+ reward points and while the chunks are random and luck based to get on the duplicate gear you're gaining both cash and chunks compared to scrubbing gear which cost cash, but scrubbing is less random since the brands help more at farming the chunk type you want.

these are the odds for sub abilities on Grizzo Gear:
50% for 0 subs, but you can trade in the duplicate for cash.
40% for 1 sub which you can trade in for 1 chunk.
10% for 3 subs which you can trade in for 3 chucks.

once you reach high enough Profreshional you will be able to get 200+ reward points every run meaning you will get either cash or chunks every run which is pretty fast with the fact you're not spending any cash on scrubbing.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Adding to the above posts, The original system (which is still in place technically) was much worse: when you unlocked all of the sub abilities on your gear, you were forced to reroll your gear rather than being able to scrub it for another shot at the abilities you wanted or being able to add them manually via chunks.

In other words, either you had to get lucky or you had to cheat the system (quite literally) in order to get perfect gear. The new method takes longer but at least guarantees you can get the gear you want eventually.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They didn't want to make it too easy. By combining rerolling and chunks you can still get the desired abilities pretty easily. Just through normal play I have gotten a crapload of chunks. Just think of some clever ways to use the drinks and brands and rerolling and you'll get there.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Finally got my Sound Cancellers with triple special weapon proficiency up.
FEAR THE TENTAMISSILES.

BloodWingdAngel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BloodWingedAngel
It took me a damn long time to finally get 3 Ink Recovery Ups on my Squid Hairclip, but when I did it felt good. There was no cheating, or RNG for it. I just kept on scrubbing and eventually I farmed enough. It takes time for sure but at least people are no longer cheating to get the gear they want, or praying to the Krackens above for luck to be on their side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom