• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Ability effects research thread

Tables

Inkster Jr.
I've been doing a bit of research into the effects of abilities, since I've been finding it hard to get solid information on them. I initially posted this on GFaqs, but figured it might help get it well known more quickly if I post it here.

A general disclaimer: A lot of this is based on recordings made from gameplay, or from YT videos, which isn't always the easiest thing to test accurately - YT videos are not always super rigorous method wise, and I can't frame advance them to do things as accurately as I'd like, and I can't record my own gameplay. So there might be a bit of inaccuracy here and there, especially in specific numbers.

General

It seems like either roughly or exactly the same formula is used from Splatoon 1 for diminishing returns and the effectiveness of main and sub abilties. 1 main = 10 pts, 1 sub = 3 pts, so 1 main is very slightly better than 3 sub abilities.

The formula that I can find for Splatoon 1 is:
Total effect = (0.99 * pts - (0.9 * pts)^2) / (30 / Max)
Where pts is again your points out of 57, and Max is roughly the max effect an ability can give - although that (30/Max) term does actually vary a little, occasionally.

Generally when I want to calculate things quickly, I use an approximation formula, which is a lot easier and quicker to use mentally or just by plugging numbers quickly in a calculator:
Total effect = Max * (1 - ((60 - pts) / 60)^2

If you don't really want to remember or use ANY formulas, or you hate Maths, a few good benchmark figures to remember are: 1 main gives you 30% of the max. 3 mains gives you 75% (three quarters) of the max. So e.g. if Run Speed gives a max of +50%, 1 main gives you about +15%, 3 mains gives you about +37.5%. Speaking of...

Run Speed Up

Run Speed has a max of +50% in general, but while shooting a max of +25% is used instead. So while shooting, Run Speed has a considerably smaller effect on your movement speed. This is particularly notable with e.g. the N-Zap - you move at ~85% normal speed while shooting with no run speed up, but with 3 mains it's down to more like 74% of normal speed - 85% for shooting, 119% from Run Speed Up, compared to the normal 137% from Run Speed Up.

Swim Speed Up

It's hard for me to test this one accurately since there's not really any super long straight area I can test it in, but I think it's been nerfed considerably. In Splatoon 1 the max was 25%, but my testing here is suggesting the max in Splatoon 2 is more like ~17%. Basically, Swim Speed is much less effective now.

Last Ditch Effort

Activates in ranked when the score is below 30 points, as well as in the last 30 seconds of all games.

LDE's effect has also been buffed.
Main weapon: 25% less ink (can use for 33% longer)
Sub weapon: 15-17% less ink (can use for 17-20% longer)
Ink recovery rate: ~33-40% faster (can recover ink in ~70-75% of the time)

Note that the above are approximate, especially for Ink recovery rate. It's hard to test these things accurately sadly without directly videoing for Ink Recovery.

Also note that these DO NOT count towards the diminishing returns of the respective ink efficiency abilities. They're separate multipliers on top. For example, the Splattershot Pro gets 50 shots normally, and 66 with LDE active, +33%. With 2 mains and 3 subs of Ink Saver Main, it gets 78 shorts normally, and 105 with LDE active - again, that's +33%. I'm not entirely sure if this is a change from Splatoon 1 or not, but this is how it works in Splatoon 2 regardless.

Special Charge Up

Seems to be unchanged from Splatoon 1. At max, it makes your special meter increase 30% faster, which functionally means it will fill in from 23% less turf inked.

Ink Saver (Main)

Seems to have been buffed slightly. I think at max it's now a 50% reduction instead of 45%.

Ink Saver (Sub)

Doesn't seem to have changed. Still a max 35% reduction. Kind of a shame given it was already the weaker of the two Ink Saver abilities in general.

Ink Resistance Up

Base movement speed while in enemy Ink is increased by up to ~50% of normal walking speed, from a base of ~20% normal speed. Note that these numbers are still VERY approximate, but this is at the very least roughly how it works.

Formula is:

Move speed = 0.2 + (0.99 * pts - (0.09 * pts)^2) / 60.

I haven't tested the interaction with Run Speed Up, that's definitely something to do later. Also, the above percentages are VERY approximate at this point, and I haven't tested the damage taken reduction either.

Quick Respawn

Time reduction wise, it seems to be identical to Splatoon 1 Quick Respawn. Reduces respawn time by a max of 4 seconds. Activates only if you have died twice or more since you last got a kill. If you trade but land the killing blow after dying, that counts as the kill happening after death, so it will trigger quick respawn on the current respawn (assuming you got no kills in the last two lives), and cause it to not activate the next time you die.

This is all that I've tested so far. I hope it's in some way useful. I have seen one person claim abilities were already data mined, and if that's the case, this isn't very useful I suppose, but if not... well, here's some info on abilities for you.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This is a nice list, though I am curious how cold blooded, sub power up, special power up, an quick redrawn max stats and change are (for as I and cb)

Tables

Inkster Jr.
This is a nice list, though I am curious how cold blooded, sub power up, special power up, an quick redrawn max stats and change are (for as I and cb)
Cold Blooded I'll have to test at some point. Might be fun to see how much effect it can have with 3 mains or so. Sub Power Up, I've seen a list of what it affects on each Sub, generally it's throw range if that makes sense for it (bombs, toxic mist), otherwise something special like the ink resistance of walls and amount of time spent spurting ink quickly for sprinklers. Special Power Up, same idea. I know for Baller it makes a pretty huge difference to your max HP - I saw someone else's research, and their numbers seemed consistent with the Baller having a base of 300 HP and a max of +360 HP from all special power up - so over double the endurance, potentially.

Quick Respawn I listed above already, so that one is already done.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Cold Blooded I'll have to test at some point. Might be fun to see how much effect it can have with 3 mains or so. Sub Power Up, I've seen a list of what it affects on each Sub, generally it's throw range if that makes sense for it (bombs, toxic mist), otherwise something special like the ink resistance of walls and amount of time spent spurting ink quickly for sprinklers. Special Power Up, same idea. I know for Baller it makes a pretty huge difference to your max HP - I saw someone else's research, and their numbers seemed consistent with the Baller having a base of 300 HP and a max of +360 HP from all special power up - so over double the endurance, potentially.

Quick Respawn I listed above already, so that one is already done.
I meant quick super jump, it auto corrected sorry

Tables

Inkster Jr.
Ah, right.

I'd like to test Quick Super Jump, but I don't think I'll be able to get anything accurate, due to a lack of accurate time recording. At best I'll probably be able to conclude it's about the same as Splatoon 1, assuming it is.

Me and Nogaems at GFaqs have tested Bomb Defence Up, at least partially. It seems the max reduction for Burst Bombs (direct and indirect hits) is 40% and Splat Bombs is 50% - at least, for indirect hits. We really want to test if you can survive a direct Splat Bomb, which in theory a 50% reduction would let you, but it requires 3 mains and 4 subs, which is far more than either of us currently have (I've got 3 mains and 2 subs, but... that isn't enough). We haven't tested other kinds of bombs, or specials yet, but I expect they'll be in a similar range of values to the above.

Tables

Inkster Jr.
I've done some preliminary testing of Quick Super Jump. I can't notice any significant difference compared to Splatoon 1.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I have two Switches with well-played Splatoon files on hand. I can test things if necessary... Though I'm not going to burn a bunch of Snails to test some obscure Cold Blooded thing or something. We're generally buying and training everything though.

Last Ditch Effort... Do you get the effects when you push the objective past 30, or is it when the enemy does, or both? That actually sounds really useful now.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@LancerStaff
Usually when the enemy passes it past 30, and yeah it has become considerably more useful.
For cold blooded it isn't fully useful as of yet, mainly due to the lack of vision items in the game (there are only 2 subs and 1 special, and 2 abilities so testing that at the moment won't really show much effectiveness tbh so it is probably best to see what other abilities come out first then test it

Tables

Inkster Jr.
Yeah, LDE is when the enemy pushes it below 30. Also in the last 30 seconds of battle, and while I haven't tested it I'd be shocked if it wasn't also active in Extra Time.

LancerStaff, if you can test it that would be fantastic. I'll also send you my friend code, which might help. But having two Switches might also be really useful for testing things that require 3+ people, like weird combinations of weapons damage or whatever.

If you want to test Cold Blooded, it's quite simple, just use the scientific method. Record as accurately as you can the time it normally takes for e.g. Point Sensor to run out. Then repeat with one Cold Blooded Main, two, and then three. Each time maybe do the test several times to average out and get a more accurate result.

Object Shredder

+10% damage to the Rainmaker Shield. I've heard it does different amounts to different things (like +50% to Ink Armour) but that's not something I can test in Recon.

Incidentally, just like in Splatoon 1, the Rainmaker has 1,000 HP and some weapons do increased damage to it. I didn't test everything, just a few things, like Curling Bombs deal 2x damage (300 HP), the L3-Nozzlenose deals 1.1x damage. I'm not going to test everything here, at least not right now.

Ink Saver Main

It was pointed out to me that some weapons have different ink saver flags. Since I had done my testing with the Splattershot Pro I was testing a high saver weapon, so I tested a few Mediums. The end result is around a 46% decrease at max, so only slightly less effect than for a high saver weapon. Seems kinda weird to bother making them different when it's such a small effect, but ehh.

Something I found while testing this, the Tri-Slosher gets about 16.5 sloshes from a full tank, which is kinda funny. It's enough that a single sub gets you to 17 sloshes, which a flat 16 wouldn't do. It's probably that it consumes exactly 6% of a tank per slosh by default, now I think about it, but I haven't tested that in full.

Edit: I've decided to create a Discord to possibly help with any testing or research. If you're willing to help or do some testing of your own, PM or ask here for a link.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'd like to see some quick numbers on the new Stealth Jump (range and effectiveness) and Haunt (duration, and are the old "secret" perks back?).

Mortiz

Inkling
I don't quite understand the Run Speed up part. Can you clarify it?
And after how many Mains & Subs is it maxed out?

Tables

Inkster Jr.
I don't quite understand the Run Speed up part. Can you clarify it?
And after how many Mains & Subs is it maxed out?
3 Mains, 9 Subs, same as every ability. The last few subs have very little effect, but they do still have an effect.

Run Speed gives a max of +50% to run speed when not shooting, and a max of +25% to run speed when shooting. To help illustrate this, let's call your normal run speed 100 units of speed. Here's a few examples of speeds you might get:

No Run Speed Up:

Normal running: 100 units
Shooting N-Zap: 85 units (85% normal run speed)
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 70 units (70% normal run speed)

1 main:

Normal running: 115 units
Shooting N-Zap: 91 units
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 75 units

3 mains:

Normal running: 137 units
Shooting N-Zap: 101 units
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 83 units

3 mains 9 subs:

Normal running: 150 units
Shooting N-Zap: 106 units
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 88 units

As you can see, your run speed while not shooting increases by a lot, but while shooting the increase is much smaller. In Splatoon 1, it only took about 1 main 2 subs for the N-Zap to reach the maximum possible speed it has in Splatoon 2.

Tables

Inkster Jr.
Special Saver is really throwing me off. It's definitely changed since Splatoon 1, but it also doesn't seem to be following the normal formula, in any way I manipulate it. Here are some angle measurements of how much special you have left after respawning for various amounts of Special Saver:

0 points = 135 degrees
10 points = 162 degrees
15 points = 180 degrees
20 points = 197 degrees
26 points = 217 degrees
30 points = 228 degrees

All of these should be accurate to within 1 degree, maybe 2 degrees at worst.

I tried a few different weapons to make sure I got the same results (I did - Splattershot and Tri-Slosher I tried in particular). But these numbers are weird. The effect goes up more between one main and two than between no mains and one. Which made me think I'd made a mistake, but I checked a few times to be sure.

Mortiz

Inkling
3 Mains, 9 Subs, same as every ability. The last few subs have very little effect, but they do still have an effect.

Run Speed gives a max of +50% to run speed when not shooting, and a max of +25% to run speed when shooting. To help illustrate this, let's call your normal run speed 100 units of speed. Here's a few examples of speeds you might get:

No Run Speed Up:

Normal running: 100 units
Shooting N-Zap: 85 units (85% normal run speed)
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 70 units (70% normal run speed)

1 main:

Normal running: 115 units
Shooting N-Zap: 91 units
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 75 units

3 mains:

Normal running: 137 units
Shooting N-Zap: 101 units
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 83 units

3 mains 9 subs:

Normal running: 150 units
Shooting N-Zap: 106 units
Shooting Splattershot Pro: 88 units

As you can see, your run speed while not shooting increases by a lot, but while shooting the increase is much smaller. In Splatoon 1, it only took about 1 main 2 subs for the N-Zap to reach the maximum possible speed it has in Splatoon 2.
OK!, clear now! Thank you =D

Tables

Inkster Jr.
Okay so I'm not entirely happy with this but...

Special Saver

The benefits from this seem to be roughly linear. You save 50% of your special by default, and for every point of special saver, save about 1.1% more. I can't quite tell what the exact formula is. It could be something to do with inaccuracies in the displayed special meter, but that seems unlikely (even I could code something like that to display accurately). So unless someone has LOADS of special saver available to them (I'm talking 3 mains and 4-9 subs at once) and can screenshot how much special they have after dying from full... I think I'll leave this one here.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
There's a good YouTube video out there on what Special Power Up does for each Special if anyone's curious.

I kinda wanna know if Comeback is the same as Splatoon 1.

Tables

Inkster Jr.
Splat Brella and Object Shredder

Object Shredder appears to have no effect whatsoever on the Splat Brella shield, both fired and held. The Brella shield appears to have around 505-530 HP while held, and it seems to have more HP/take less damage when fired. Some weapons/subs likely deal increased damage to it, but I didn't research in detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom