• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ability Stacking?

NNID
Sarki241
In all your time playing Turf War, has anyone noticed if equipment effects stack if more than one of an ability is present on your equipment? I dunno. But if it does, then I would think it only works if its for one piece of equipment or if it goes by all equipment.

I have an experiment in mind for testing to see if it's real, but it requires a lot of time haggling Spkye and upgrading abilities very specifically.

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
They do stack. HOWEVER you get diminishing returns for each additional duplicate. 2 is probably the most you want. 1 is always good.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
"Purr... (You can equip multiple pieces of gear with the same ability. But you'll see diminishing returns on the power of the effect! It's generally more effective to use a variety of different gear abilities)."

From Judd, in game. Stacking works, but each additional "stacked" ability is less and less potent.

novel

Inkster Jr.
its the main ability of a gear more powerful than the subs abilities ?

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
How much exactly do the main perks and sub-perks increase your abilities? Can it even be quantified?

Would be nice to know so I know exactly how much the perks are helping. Wish there were percentages or other things shown.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
How much exactly do the main perks and sub-perks increase your abilities? Can it even be quantified?

Would be nice to know so I know exactly how much the perks are helping. Wish there were percentages or other things shown.
There are damage/defence charts for specific weapons (I believe Roller and maybe Charger); however further testing is required. I would link you but I can't find the thread, I'm sure you can search it up though.

NNID
Sarki241
I just tested stacking across multiple equipment types.

I went into the testing area, going from the very edge of the corridor to the very edge of the other. In other words, create a straight line across with no obstructions in between. I chose to test the Swim Speed Up ability, since its easy to measure due to empiricality.

Control: My loadout has no equipment bearing a Swin Speed Up. It took 0:05:35 to hit the other wall.
Change #1: My loadout has a Zekko Hoodie with a Swim Speed Up. It took 0:04:88 to hit the other wall.
Change #2: My loadout has the same Zekko Hoodie with the addition of some Cream Basics with a Swim Speed Up, giving two instances of one ability. It took 0:04:48 to hit the other wall.

The variable of possibly colliding with inkless splotches along the line and the discrepancy between my timer-click and moving the Control Stick must be taken into account for slight inaccuracies in time. I also performed all three tests twice to make sure nothing screwy was happening.

In conclusion, we can assert that either abilities DO stack to decrease across equipment, as evident by the 40 millisecond difference between Changes #1 & #2. Judd is correct here.

This experiment is yet to be performed for a loadout with only one equipment that has more than one of the same ability.

Feel free to test this for yourself to see if you get any different results.

NNID
Sarki241
"Purr... (You can equip multiple pieces of gear with the same ability. But you'll see diminishing returns on the power of the effect! It's generally more effective to use a variety of different gear abilities)."

Wouldn't this mean that the effects would either nullify across abilities or be much less potent than if they were all on one equipment piece?

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt

Wouldn't this mean that the effects would either nullify across abilities or be much less potent than if they were all on one equipment piece?
I don't really understand the first question, but to the second one, no. What Judd is saying is that having multiples of the same ability will stack, but they will increase your total benefit by less for each additional one.

For example, a +1 defense ability gives you +1 defense, but 2 +1 defense abilities, either on the same piece of equipment or different ones, will not give you +2 defense. They will give you less; exactly how much less I don't know, but I think there is a thread that has that info or is putting it together.

ALSO OF NOTE: Abilities like stealth squid do not stack for obvious reasons.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet

I'm a little confused with your wording...

Having the same skills on different equips doesn't help. They either need to all be on the same equip or you're just wasting it. Yes, diminishing returns is in full effect, but that's also the only way to attain a perk that strong.

NNID
Sarki241
I don't really understand the first question, but to the second one, no. What Judd is saying is that having multiples of the same ability will stack, but they will increase your total benefit by less for each additional one.

For example, a +1 defense ability gives you +1 defense, but 2 +1 defense abilities, either on the same piece of equipment or different ones, will not give you +2 defense. They will give you less; exactly how much less I don't know, but I think there is a thread that has that info or is putting it together.

ALSO OF NOTE: Abilities like stealth squid do not stack for obvious reasons.
I'm a little confused with your wording...

Having the same skills on different equips doesn't help. They either need to all be on the same equip or you're just wasting it. Yes, diminishing returns is in full effect, but that's also the only way to attain a perk that strong.
Technically, it's all one question. Either it does one of those things or the other.

By, "nullify across abilities", I mean having two of the same ability on different equipment would make their effect worse. I'll save you the ilk by saying I should've worded that better.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I only really tested stacking damage upgrade ; the sad new: It generally cap just high enough so that it don't allow you to get one less shot for most weapon ; so outside of plain countering def boost ; It only notable with squattershot + burst bomb (1 shot instead of 2 after a burst bomb direct hit) and for charger weapon (can actually 2 shot with uncharged shot with enough damage upgrade and allow you to charge a bit less for a kill)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom