• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ability Tier List

RareCandyMan

Inkling
NNID
RareCandyMan
So, I was going to have a write up here explaining how I thought an ability tier list might go, but when I looked at the Ability Guide in the Gear tab to make sure I wasn't missing any, I noticed that they actually are pretty close to the order that I had started to write about.

I think that the raw stat boost upgrades are the best; power, defense, run speed, swim speed. Constant, instant boosts that just make you stronger.

The second tier to me is the "ammo" abilities, increasing recharge rate, decreasing main and sub usage. I would say the increased special charge rate could probably fit here too, and the extended special active time as well in situations that you have a timed special.

The third and bottom tier to me are the conditional boosts. I understand that they are there to empower comebacks, but I just rather have those slots dedicated to things that make me stronger whether I am winning or losing.

Then comes the bottom row, which as far as I've seen, are all only available as a primary (feel free to correct me on this).

Of these, the only ones I feel are really worth giving up primary boosts on one of the top tier abilities are the last two, with Stealth Jump being the only one that really stands out as very good and worth pursuing as a slot.

Those are just my early first impressions on what abilities to look for in gear and what would be desirable rolls. If a real competitive meta game of premade teams ever does develop, I notice quite a few abilities that suddenly become much much better with communication and coordination. This is all subject to change as more info comes out on how abilities stack and interact. Even just based off the diminishing returns we do know, I would say I would still rather have diminished abilities from tier 1 than a full ability from my third tier. What are you all's thoughts on abilities so far?

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
It's been tested than damage and defense increase are very situational. So i wouldn't say they are top tier.

Ninja Squid, Bomb Sniffler, Cold-Blooded (surprisingly) and Ink Resistance are all extremely good and noticeable imo. Specially if you run Swim Speed Up (which I suggest you run as a couple of subs/a main). There is no doubt than ink refilling/saver and special gauge abilities are very strong, though. Quick Respawn and Quick Super Jump are pretty good, but if you can avoid running it that's very effective.

I think the most useless abilities will be the Sub related abilities (extremely situational @ Ink Saver Sub, pretty much irrelevant @ Bomb Throw Range Up) besides the first '30/last '30 ability and the Haunt ability. Maybe Comeback too as we can't know how good it is. Tenacity is good atm but I'm sure it will fall off as you play with better people (= less deaths in your team).

Of course, further testing needs to be done.

RareCandyMan

Inkling
NNID
RareCandyMan
Wow, I just looked over the data on the Power/Defense boosts, they are nearly negligible. Of course, they can be the difference between winning and losing a 1v1. Additionally, the game is not played in a vacuum, so I could see situations in which a minor amount of damage from other sources could make the difference in HtS with higher power.

Also, Kata's Damage Chart doesn't seem to take in to effect sub boosts yet, so I think there is hope yet. But with that info I would definitely see them as more on par with the "ammo" abilities. So maybe there is just two tiers, viable and not so viable. Obviously more testing needs to come through. As people get better and the meta develops, I can certainly see more of the bottom row main only abilities becoming more important, like ninja squid, which weakens the stacking of Power/Defense mains to actually get returns.

Really interesting stuff! I think the competitive/strategic ceiling for this game is very high.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I do find armor up and strength up to be very useful, as well as being able to see where everyone is from your spawn (I forget what that ability is called.)

Szion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Szionblue
I have a total of 3 damage ups and in the sheldon tryout stage, aerosprays damage goes from from 24.5 to 24.9. That's so stupid..

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I'm just going to say bits of pieces of everything I think is good. I will start by breaking down the OP.
So, I was going to have a write up here explaining how I thought an ability tier list might go, but when I looked at the Ability Guide in the Gear tab to make sure I wasn't missing any, I noticed that they actually are pretty close to the order that I had started to write about.

I think that the raw stat boost upgrades are the best; power, defense, run speed, swim speed. Constant, instant boosts that just make you stronger.

The second tier to me is the "ammo" abilities, increasing recharge rate, decreasing main and sub usage. I would say the increased special charge rate could probably fit here too, and the extended special active time as well in situations that you have a timed special.

The third and bottom tier to me are the conditional boosts. I understand that they are there to empower comebacks, but I just rather have those slots dedicated to things that make me stronger whether I am winning or losing.

Then comes the bottom row, which as far as I've seen, are all only available as a primary (feel free to correct me on this).

Of these, the only ones I feel are really worth giving up primary boosts on one of the top tier abilities are the last two, with Stealth Jump being the only one that really stands out as very good and worth pursuing as a slot.

Those are just my early first impressions on what abilities to look for in gear and what would be desirable rolls. If a real competitive meta game of premade teams ever does develop, I notice quite a few abilities that suddenly become much much better with communication and coordination. This is all subject to change as more info comes out on how abilities stack and interact. Even just based off the diminishing returns we do know, I would say I would still rather have diminished abilities from tier 1 than a full ability from my third tier. What are you all's thoughts on abilities so far?
First off, read this post
http://squidboards.com/threads/how-defense-up-damage-up-seem-to-work.1258/#post-29389

Secondly, DMG/DEF up are situational at best. To elaborate on this, DEF UP is very good for say, the JR/Aerospray guns. This is because, their must common enemy is the .gal series. With one DEF UP, you die in 3 shots, instead of 2. Giving the JR/Aerospray a real fighting chance. Ofc they lose at a distance, but with mobility and ninja swimmer, closing any gap is easy. I don't know any situational occurs for DMG up atm.

Run SPD UP is good, since the boost is fairly large. Do know this increases your run speed by 50%. Swim spd up is great, however, the boost is half as large as run spd up.

Ink savors are more than likely top tier. This in combination with a ink recovery er two as sub-abilities, is amazing.

Ninja Swimmer and Cold Blooded are going be top tier. I can see Cold Blooded being higher than ninja as the meta evolves tho. For those of you, who are ill-informed on Cold Blooded... It reduces the amount of time tracking items apply to you:
Point Sensor 10sec->2.5sec
Echolocator 12sec->3sec​

Ink Resistance is one of the best skills in the game. When you are normally in enemy ink, your run spd/jump height is lowered to 12%. You also take a large chunk of DPS while standing in it. With this ability however, your run spd/jump height are lowered to 80% broken

Haunt is really good, if you are always in the heat of the battle.

I'll probably come back and revisit this thread, as more posts are dropped.

SolarTrifle

Inkling
NNID
SolarTrifle
I had actually no idea that ink resist was that good. I'll have to try it out.

imo, abilities are for the most part super situational and depend on your playstyle. Of course there are those that are mostly useless like bomb range. As far as the abilities that I'll always want to have regardless of my weapon (and thus the best abilities) are ink resist (apparently), stealth jump, and ink recovery/saver for the main weapon.

RareCandyMan

Inkling
NNID
RareCandyMan
Man, all the actual hard numbers on how things change are really surprising to me. I wish Nindy would give us the hard numbers so we wouldn't have to figure it out on our own, since they're so very different and not at all intuitive.

Hinichii.ez.™

Man, all the actual hard numbers on how things change are really surprising to me. I wish Nindy would give us the hard numbers so we wouldn't have to figure it out on our own, since they're so very different and not at all intuitive.
I have access to many numbers.

Should I just do a thread on all the numbers?

Seleir

Senior Squid
NNID
Yoshigold
I'm just going to say bits of pieces of everything I think is good. I will start by breaking down the OP.

First off, read this post
http://squidboards.com/threads/how-defense-up-damage-up-seem-to-work.1258/#post-29389

Secondly, DMG/DEF up are situational at best. To elaborate on this, DEF UP is very good for say, the JR/Aerospray guns. This is because, their must common enemy is the .gal series. With one DEF UP, you die in 3 shots, instead of 2. Giving the JR/Aerospray a real fighting chance. Ofc they lose at a distance, but with mobility and ninja swimmer, closing any gap is easy. I don't know any situational occurs for DMG up atm.

Run SPD UP is good, since the boost is fairly large. Do know this increases your run speed by 50%. Swim spd up is great, however, the boost is half as large as run spd up.

Ink savors are more than likely top tier. This in combination with a ink recovery er two as sub-abilities, is amazing.

Ninja Swimmer and Cold Blooded are going be top tier. I can see Cold Blooded being higher than ninja as the meta evolves tho. For those of you, who are ill-informed on Cold Blooded... It reduces the amount of time tracking items apply to you:
Point Sensor 10sec->2.5sec
Echolocator 12sec->3sec​

Ink Resistance is one of the best skills in the game. When you are normally in enemy ink, your run spd/jump height is lowered to 12%. You also take a large chunk of DPS while standing in it. With this ability however, your run spd/jump height are lowered to 80% broken

Haunt is really good, if you are always in the heat of the battle.

I'll probably come back and revisit this thread, as more posts are dropped.
really thanks you really helped me

Life

Senior Squid
Is nobody going to talk about the form-perfect beauty that is Stealth Super Jump? The ability to not have the fear of giving the opponents a double kill for trying to rescue an endangered ally is incredible peace of mind.

Also don't see the point of enemy ink resistance. Why are you standing in enemy ink? Granted I've been caught a couple of times because of a small bit of enemy ink I missed cleaning up and end up getting sniped by a charger for it, but that seems like a problem that will go away as I improve.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is nobody going to talk about the form-perfect beauty that is Stealth Super Jump? The ability to not have the fear of giving the opponents a double kill for trying to rescue an endangered ally is incredible peace of mind.

Also don't see the point of enemy ink resistance. Why are you standing in enemy ink? Granted I've been caught a couple of times because of a small bit of enemy ink I missed cleaning up and end up getting sniped by a charger for it, but that seems like a problem that will go away as I improve.
You are aware of exactly what it does, right? And stealth jump is great, but if you aren't super jumping into the heat of the battle, it's not necessary.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
I think special refill up are sub abilities that people want to roll. With two of them on my shoes I can get an inkstrike at 170 instead of 200, which is crucial when considering their usefulness in splat zone. It's great for rollers that want quick krakens too.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Ink resistance is undoubtedly a god-tier skill as long as you're dealing with Splattershots. If we end up in a meta where they're not common (which I doubt will ever happen) then it's going to be filler like ink recovery or swim speed.

Ninja squid is probably the most effective main skill you could have on the body slot, and cold blooded is second only because there's no way of knowing exactly what the opponent will bring.

Headgear exclusive skills are kinda eh. Until we get some hardcore info on the first/final 30 skills and if tenacity works faster with special fill +, filler would probably be preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom