About the "Splatoon 3 World Championship 2024 - Team Overview" Video + Squid School Critiques

angelicakuma

Inkster Jr.
Alright so if you didn't watch the video please do so, the title of it is literally in the title of the thread and it's on the Nintendo of American Youtube channel.

Anyways :D

Today I watched the video and I thought it was really fun! I liked learning about the new teams and now I have a better idea of who I'm going to root for (lets go greasy goblins!!!)

That being said, Gem aka Squid School released his own video shortly after the original video was uploaded and he was critiquing the video. And I don't think all of his criticisms are fair

So there's a couple things that he points out that caught my attention (these are examples, I'd list more but I don't want this thread to be 50% bullet points 💀):
- .q is referred to as and Inkjet player and Jackpot is talked about as being a double Splatling team
- He says that the Greasy Goblins' team comp weapons list isn't unique
- He says that the description of the HK team (playing based on the roller of the comp) is just "standard gameplay techniques"

My main reason for disagreeing with the amount of criticizing Gem does in this video is because he, as a Competitive content maker, should know more than anyone else just how much Nintendo actually cares about the competitive Splatoon scene. Other than creating the world championships, Nintendo does not do too much themselves (if you count their community guidelines for hosting comps as their contribution) to maintain a competitive Splatoon scene. Just to drill it in, I think a lot of comp Splatoon players feel that Nintendo does not actually listen to their requests when making new patches, weapon kits, maps, etc.

So when thinking about the fact that Nintendo doesn't really prioritize the comp scene other than for world champs, it's honestly surprising that they even made a video discussing the teams themselves. What I mean by this is that the bar is extremely low for what we expect them to do to promote the world championships.

It's not that I think what Gem said in his video is uncalled for, I just think Gem was putting Nintendo at a bar that he should have never set in the first place because that bar he set was too high. The fact that Nintendo even took the time to do a little bit of research on the players and make a video compilation of it says that they're doing *something* new and more to promote them, and I think even that little step should be celebrated by everyone in the community. Since I am not a competitive-+1-Sendouqueue-insider or something like that I don't know exactly what the process is to get the info for the video...perhaps months ago Jackpot and others filled out some form with info to send to Nintendo. I think that shows that Nintendo is making *some sort of step.*

One thing I will say from Gem's video that I think was unwarranted is that he was talking about how Nintendo could have found Jackpot on Twitter and other platforms to see their team comp over time, other footage, etc. and he was also saying that the Nintendo clip relied a lot on the past World Championships videos for this team overview video. I respect the work that the community does to build up competitive Splatoon, but Nintendo does not. No matter how far up the competitive community ladder you are, what Nintendo's bottom line is that they want to make money and continue promoting themselves. Using footage from community tournaments or discussing the comp team twitter platforms, etc. not only brings Nintendo for extra potential liability (it brings up questions such as whether Nintendo endorses the comp team social media accounts and community tournaments) but it also pulls away promotion from Nintendo first-party productions. *Of course* it makes sense that the only footage and competitions Nintendo wants to discuss is their own, that's how they make money.

Does all this mean that I don't like Squid School or think he has bad takes? No, but what I *do* think is that he and also others need to look at the big picture: the Nintendo team overview video is new and probably experimental for the employees to create. We should all watch the video and be outwardly grateful while simultaneously giving feedback about what content Nintendo should add or improve on.

Take care, and happy World Championships!!

TL;DR - I have a lot of opinions and I don't want to summarize them <3 I do my best to keep my words short, there is no filler content here

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
i haven't seen the video myself lol but someone did comment this:
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 8.28.27 PM.png

the comps info they used is from worlds qualifiers tournaments which were many months ago so obviously the meta/weapons ppl use is different now, i think its reasonable for nintendo to show those weapon loadouts bc they were part of official nintendo content. sucks that its outdated but like what else could they have done.... stalk jackpots twitter? i highly doubt theyre aware of sendou or any community-run western tournaments

Keiya

Inkling
Pronouns
she/it
Hi, I'm someone!

Seriously though, in the video he acknowledges they're at least doing something. I don't think he's being excessively harsh at all.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
They made a lot of errors and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to point out those errors. Gem's own job is to put out educational content, and that means correcting misinformation so his viewers can know that .q is not going to be playing Ballpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom