Adding vehicles to Splatoon

Shooba

Inkling
NNID
Johan.Holmberg
Hi!

In the upcoming game mode Rainmaking (read more about it here: http://pastebin.com/HNkuudWz) where you are supposed to carry a thing from one place to another, I think it could be a great idea to add some kind of vehicle for transportation. Imagine one guy is sitting in the passenger seat of a car holding the Rainmaker, while another team mate is driving the car through the map, trying to avoid shots from the enemies chargers and shooters.

What do you think of adding vehicles to Splatoon?

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
No thanks. The point of the rainmaker itself is that it limits mobility, ultimately making you an easier target. It makes your entourage hafta work that much harder.

Not only would a vehicle look entirely out of place, but it would be the complete opposite of what the game mode is designed for.

X° 5ully

Inkster Jr.
NNID
5ully151
No thanks. The point of the rainmaker itself is that it limits mobility, ultimately making you an easier target. It makes your entourage hafta work that much harder.

Not only would a vehicle look entirely out of place, but it would be the complete opposite of what the game mode is designed for.
Completely agree.. Seems like a really bad idea...

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Not to mention how small the maps are. The game mechanics already allow for really speedy travel across the maps, and like @Egregore said, the rainmaker is supposed to slow you down. So...

Shooba

Inkling
NNID
Johan.Holmberg
Yeah, I see your point, but obviously they could make larger maps and new game modes like Capture the flag.
I remember playing Capture the flag on Halo 3 for Xbox 360 and LOVED the different choices of transportation.
I just thought vehicles on large maps in various game modes could add another dimension to the game.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I mean rainmaker IS capture the flag just under a different name more or less. I do think vehicles would be pretty or of place, they'd have to do a lot more programming to get them working properly.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
I mean we are talking about squid kids here. They're not even licensed yet!

The only vehicle that I will deem acceptable would be a little ink submarine. ;)

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
Vehicles IMO wouldn't really work for Splatoon unless they made bigger stages to compensate. In the Halo games a lot of the smaller and more cramped maps didn't have vehicles, which is sort of the kind of position Splatoon's current maps are, small and cramped, without much free space necessary for something like a Warthog.

If vehicles were to exist in Splatoon, they'd have to be something like bumper cars, go-karts or toy jeeps that continuously leave a trail of the Inkling's color Ink as they drive (and yes you can run over enemies to insta-splatter them). Opponents can still take out the Inkling driving the vehicle, and from there the opponent can board the vehicle, which now oozes out Ink in their color. With bigger vehicles like the above-mentioned toy jeep, multiple Inklings can board the same vehicle, with passengers having access to their weapons (Shooters, Chargers, Blasters, and Rollers), but still can run low on Ink, and from there they have to duck into the seat to recharge, which is made of ink.

The vehicle's ink supply is unlimited and if it takes enough damage from the opposite Ink color, it will blow up, splattering any enemy drivers that happen to be in it.

That's my two cents.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I could see a race type mode where both teams are on vehicles like the ones in port mackerel, and to move forward you've got to..............ok nvm. The idea just died inside my head.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I think vehicles would be vastly out of place.
The only thing I would consider would be either:

1) Helicopter / flying vehicle (on a map such a port mack). This would be balanced as there would be no way for players to refill their ink whilst in the air. So any offensive capabilities would be subject to an ink constraint, thus making the primary focus that of mobility (which is rendered useless by the free / fast jumps).
or
2.) Turrets (such as those in the campaign mode). These would be powerful but slow firing, and would have to be placed by the level designers with care to ensure their area of control wasn't too large, and that they couldn't be used as an easy spawn camping mechanism.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I could see a race type mode where both teams are on vehicles like the ones in port mackerel, and to move forward you've got to..............ok nvm. The idea just died inside my head.
I saw where you were going with that. Honestly I wouldn't be opposed. Or imagine a hardcore stage where every inkable platform is moving?

Shooba

Inkling
NNID
Johan.Holmberg
I mean rainmaker IS capture the flag just under a different name more or less.
Kind of, but in Ctf you often have two flags, one for each team, which mean you have two tasks, defending and stealing.
Vehicles in a Ctf mode would only make sense if there were possibilities of stealing the flags over and over, several times, in the same round.
In Rainmaking it seems like bringing the Rainmaker to the goal once is enough to win the round. In that case vehicles would be useless since the rounds would end to quickly.

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
I'd be game for a race mode, even if it's on-foot racing where every racer gets their own ink color.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
If it's for a completely different, unannounced mode, I'd be for it as long as it works. But as stated previously, Rainmaker's purpose is to make you an easy target. Obviously that wouldn't be the case if you could easily get around on vehicles and avoid your enemies.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I've seen some barmy Splatoon suggestions over the past few months, but this one takes the crabcake. I mean, just... no. This wouldn't work at all.

That said, I could totally see mechs like the one above in Spla2n, whenever that arrives in the far future.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I would not want to see vehicles in this game, nor would I want maps big enough to support them. A cool private match mode could be neat, but if it affects public matches in any way I'm against it.

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
You would need bigger maps for vehicles. Considering how the game is, larger maps for 4v4 would NOT be a good idea. The maps need to be balanced in terms of size as well. Vehicles would just cause so many unbalances to the meta.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I'd love to see some gamemode that bases its gameplay around vehicles. Of course, there would have to be bigger, more open maps to compensate.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
What kind of vehicles do you guys think could possible be balanced, anyway? Do you have good gameplay in mind or is this just a "what if" that sounds cool on paper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom