Adding vehicles to Splatoon

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
I think vehicles would be really cool in the franchise's future, but not this game. Seems like too much of a mechanic to implement, plus it wouldn't work too well with how the current stages are designed.

Shooba

Inkling
NNID
Johan.Holmberg
What kind of vehicles do you guys think could possible be balanced, anyway? Do you have good gameplay in mind or is this just a "what if" that sounds cool on paper?
I think small cars that looks like "bumber cars" (see the picture below) would fit in Splatoons game design.
Small cars which runs quite fast, but that are easy to get splattered in.
The maps would need to be a little bit bigger than the current maps, and I think it would work good in a "Capture the flag" game mode where the round ends when, let's say, a team captures the flag 5 times.
Oh, and it would of course be cool if it leaves a trail of ink which your teammates can swim in, just like the Seeker does.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I think small cars that looks like "bumber cars" (see the picture below) would fit in Splatoons game design.
Small cars which runs quite fast, but that are easy to get splattered in.
The maps would need to be a little bit bigger than the current maps, and I think a "Capture the flag" game mode where the round ends when, let's say, a team captures the flag 5 times.
Oh, and it would of course be cool if it leaves a trail of ink which your teammates can swim in, just like the Seeker does.

This I wouldn't mind, on the right map. I was thinking things like traditional Warthogs, helicopters, and tanks, but something like this that gives mobility options but doesn't make you tanky I could get behind. The map would have to be well designed and restrict the bumper cars to certain areas, and I think that the bumper cars should be able to splat people if you run into them and possibly spray up ink to the sides as they move too.

Rudy Tabootie

Inkling
NNID
ChumChum7422
I like your concept, but lets not turn Splatoon into Splatoon: Nuts and Bolts. Maybe a special, similar to a roller, where you get a wider inking space and you would be able to drive it. A beefed up Kraken in a nutshell.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Not in this game, in the future perhaps where they can afford to expand the series but not now. The stages are just too small and cramped. If they did include them obviously the stage design would have to change as well. If that happened then I think there is a place for vehicles but they have to be cautious. It could easily make for a broken mechanic, especially in rainmaker.

Shooba

Inkling
NNID
Johan.Holmberg
I don't understand why some people bring up the argument "the stages are too small".
Of course they could create bigger stages where the vehicles are available, and still keep this smaller stages where vehicles is not available.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I don't understand why some people bring up the argument "the stages are too small".
Of course they could create bigger stages where the vehicles are available, and still keep this smaller stages where vehicles is not available.
I would say big stages are just not Splatoon's 'thing.' If vehicles were a thing then a map would have to be large enough to compensate. The flaw with that though is that on turf war there might be little to no action happening and everyone would be just inking terrain. It wouldn't become a fight anymore, it would become a race. If there was to be a large map then the time would also have to be lengthened. People like Splatoons way of approaching matches; short and sweet. Besides, if vehicles were made a fast way to traverse the map in mind then wouldn't that make Squid form a little redundant?

Just to let you know, I'm not against vehicles but if they are to be included in the future then they should do so cautiously. Clearly transport in other shooters like Halo would not work in this game.

This isn't Halo 3 and vehicles would be an awful idea. Squid form already allows for greater mobility and any ink-laying advantage a vehicle could give would make them a priority, effectively giving inkbrushes and carbon rollers first dibs and making the weapons themselves redundant.
I would be interested to see a map with some of the campaign gimmicks, like ink rails or gushers.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Bigger maps don't make sense in Splatoon. In Turf War most of the game play comes from fighting over terrian. If the maps were twice as big there would be a lot of painting alone waiting for the enemy to finally get across the map.

Larger maps don't really make sense for Splatzone or Tower Control maps either so they would have to make an entirely different game type in order for large maps to make sense.

Traveling as a squid is already pretty satisifying, I don't think they nee to override it with vehicles.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
You might as well have suggested a space mode. Vehicles would never work in this game.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
A 4 vs 1 Mode would be nice. The 1 Person will hav ea huge Vehicle though with more HP and stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom