• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Advertisement Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
Nintendo of America is pretty pathetic

And about the Japanese one, people were complaining about no gameplay shown
First, we don't know what he said in Japanese in the end...
Second, it says nintendo right away in the beggining, I bet people that don't know what nintendo is would never get this game anyway, and those who do, know it's surely a game
If I saw that commercial in tv I would probably look it up
I mean, I can see what you're saying... but this is the best commercial out of all in my opinion

And the AU is definitly the best for Austraila, idrk how the casual american thinks they're usually pretty crazy but as an Isralian I can tell you that the AU commercial would sell here

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Oh look, another US ad that's horrible

But for real, though, this ad isn't for us. I'd imagine it's mostly for younger audiences. And if it gets them to want the game, then it's really not that bad of an ad, now is it?

If I were a kid watching the ad, my first thought wouldn't be "Wow, this ad is terrible, I think I'll log onto Squidboards and make fun of it", my first thought would be "WHOA THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME I CAN BE A SQUID I WANT THIS GAME". That's the point of the ad, to be as over-the-top as possible and grab people's attention.

At least, that's what I think.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
the eric andre show is hilarious
But for real, though, this ad isn't for us. I'd imagine it's mostly for younger audiences. And if it gets them to want the game, then it's really not that bad of an ad, now is it?

If I were a kid watching the ad, my first thought wouldn't be "Wow, this ad is terrible, I think I'll log onto Squidboards and make fun of it", my first thought would be "WHOA THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME I CAN BE A SQUID I WANT THIS GAME". That's the point of the ad, to be as over-the-top as possible and grab people's attention.

At least, that's what I think.
Even as a kid the cheesy songs are a bit much. Maybe I'll show it to my younger cousins and see what they think haha

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
the eric andre show is hilarious

Even as a kid the cheesy songs are a bit much. Maybe I'll show it to my younger cousins and see what they think haha
When I was younger cheesy songs like this made me feel awkward when with people, an example being every song featured in the Super Mario Bros 3 cartoon. It's not the childishness I don't like about the ad, it's that it's a bit too much, and the voice is horrible...and so are the lyrics tbh, I'm sure they could've made a better song that would still appeal to kids.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Yeah it just feels like they aren't really trying? I don't know how to explain it but they definitely could do more

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
We are not the demographic for the American ad. It clearly is for a younger audience and if you have ever seen toy commercials geared to children this fits in with the over the top cheesy voice over (in this case sung.) Also notice its purposeful difference to other shooters ads targeting parents looking for family friendly games while their child watches TV. Japan, as many of us know, has no problem with cuteness and it isn't seen as childish/casual/feminine/weak/etc. NOA knows how to market their games to the demographic that is the most definite sale- You notice how many people who are at that age where they are afraid of looking immature will simply be turned off by the visuals. They also know Nintendo fans or Wii U owners would have an interest in new Nintendo games regardless and would be more likely to see the trailers for Splatoon than the adverts made for children's television. It is a culture thing but it isn't showing one culture is better, it is just different.

Jaded Alyx

Inkling
NNID
Jaded_Alyx
As expected, Japan has received more ads, this time with gameplay like this one:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Two advertisements worth sharing:

First, at Seattle Mariners stadium (just reminder that Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners team):

I love how they kept the Japanese text because Ichiro is so Popular in Japan. Even if you go to the Safeco field Ichiro's foam fingers are bigger and better quality than the rest of the team and he has a lot more merchandise.

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
We've got another one - ink it up!

That wasn't that bad
It's not really good and the rhyming is AMAZING (now rhyms with now don't u know it? Pfft, noobs)
But I didn't accidently facepalm so...

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
^That's Santa Monica pier, and not really related...
It...is an advertisement/publicity stunt/event so it fits alongside the non-video advertisements like the Safeco field billboards and the Japanese posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom