• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Advice for elevating your game?

NPDgames

Inkling
NNID
NPDgames
I'm trying to teach a few friends to achieve better play, while working to improve myself. What advice do you guys have for players who know the game, but want to continue to improve. (Stay away from obvious like usie motion controls. We known. We all know.)

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
My go to thing is watching players via stream/youtube. It doesnt matter who you watch since most people have vastly different preferences on weapons. Watching people who use your weapon is a bonus. But watching streams and videos give a really good idea of what to do on maps. E.g for chargers paying attention to where a charger goes to make the most out of range or if you want to use a roller watch where the user sits to shark people and catch them by surprise.

Gear players use give a general idea of why they use it with the weapon they have but it doesnt always mean copy what they have.

I personally learn more by watching and observing than reading text, so this definitely does not apply all but to some so I hope it helps.

EpicSonicLatios

Inkling
NNID
EpicSonicLatios
I’m also in a similar situation with trying to teach my teammates how to develop and grow as players, despite not being completely polished myself. I’m an S rank player, but I have a lot to learn and I have to try and balance that with helping out my team. What I’ve learned is you need to cater to the needs of your friends and accommodate their needs so that they aren’t overwhelmed and are willing to learn, and to hold evaluations so that you can get a better idea of what they need to improve at.

NPDgames

Inkling
NNID
NPDgames
My go to thing is watching players via stream/youtube. It doesnt matter who you watch since most people have vastly different preferences on weapons. Watching people who use your weapon is a bonus. But watching streams and videos give a really good idea of what to do on maps. E.g for chargers paying attention to where a charger goes to make the most out of range or if you want to use a roller watch where the user sits to shark people and catch them by surprise.

Gear players use give a general idea of why they use it with the weapon they have but it doesnt always mean copy what they have.

I personally learn more by watching and observing than reading text, so this definitely does not apply all but to some so I hope it helps.
I agree with this. Who do you watch?

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Extremely obvious, but just keep practicing, and find people to play with in league, they will help to push your growth. However, you need to practice on your own in solo queue, since this will give you a large variety of experiences with different weapons and playstyles, that you will need to learn to counter.

I also recommend that you choose a role, or weapon to keep practicing. Consistency with a weapon or role will help you understand the game more easily, since you fit into the game the same way almost every game (excluding strange team compositions). Focus on little things every game to improve on, like getting your special maybe 15 seconds into the game, or check certain flank routes every game. Use the app to keep track of little details, to see if you die too frequently, or need to be turfing more, etc.

tl;dr: Practice, practice, practice, strive for consistency

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
Tip 1: Get good with one weapon, then learn another one. Some of my friends say their good with all of the weapons, but are actually good with none of them.

Tip 2: Record your gameplay, then take notes on what you did wrong and how you could get better. Even if all you have is a crappy iphone camera, you still have something to record with.

Quiana

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4640-8314-4331
I'd echo what Skoodge says in regards to practicing. The primary things are knowing the maps' special spots, any tricks to hop/jump corners, as well as areas where there's common camp spots. Depending on the weapon you use, you'll want to try to control camping locations to deny the enemy and/or flush them out with subs from those locations during team play.

Also ensure you're using your subs to their optimal. If you've got bombs and no-one's around, be sure to put one or two in corners or hiding spots in the distance, you'll have a few seconds to charge that ink in the meantime (especially on control/point maps rather than turf). Sprinklers are great for flinging in remote spots of the enemy turf or using as a forward 'warning' beacon since the enemy will always take it out and if it's in sight they will have revealed themselves to do so.

If you're using longer ranged weapons, ensure you have situational awareness. Something that is common is getting 'scope' focus, you'll want to occasionally take even a second's pause to pop your map screen up and see if there's an ink trail flanking or other signs of enemy around/behind you. What often breaks a stalemate is a moment's inattention that lets a squid in behind the team, denying their ranged coverage or support.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I had a whole post here that this board somehow made all weird by trying to turn links into media, and then it deleted all my text. So I guess this post is just gone. Sorry!

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I would say sticking to one or two weapons would be a good start. There isn't a lot of Splatoon content on YouTube (compared to other popular online games, at least), but you can still find videos of experienced players playing most kinds of weapons. Watch and learn.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Another thing to keep in mind is keeping your calm. I'm sure you already know this, but you play worse when you're tilted, and Splatoon is a very frustrating game. I admit it's almost like beating yourself with a hammer and expecting it not to hurt.

I have been trying a few things these past couple of days to keep calm. Drinking green tea with honey in it, and pouring cold water over my wrists before each session. I haven't tilted once when doing this. Admittedly they're just things I found when Googling it, so it might just be a case of mind over matter. If you can find something legal to keep yourself calm, then go for it.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Another thing to keep in mind is keeping your calm. I'm sure you already know this, but you play worse when you're tilted, and Splatoon is a very frustrating game. I admit it's almost like beating yourself with a hammer and expecting it not to hurt.

I have been trying a few things these past couple of days to keep calm. Drinking green tea with honey in it, and pouring cold water over my wrists before each session. I haven't tilted once when doing this. Admittedly they're just things I found when Googling it, so it might just be a case of mind over matter. If you can find something legal to keep yourself calm, then go for it.
Yes, keeping a calm mind is key to being successful at games like Splatoon. It's all fun and games until that first losing streak happens or the matchmaker gives you a team that gets spawn-camped within the first half of the match. It's important to know when tilt is starting to build and take a break, even if only for five minutes. Taking deep breaths, trying to focus on small personal wins (good K/D, overall improvements) and finding things that can help keep your calm, e.g. medidation, calming (non-alcoholic) beverages, snacks, et cetera. It's also important not to go raging about teammates (once in a while is ok tho, we all have our moments), even if the matchmaker does get wonky a lot because if done excessively, you risk developing a negative attitude, one where only bad teammates are at fault and never you, which is where you stop analyzing your own gameplay and look if you made mistakes yourself.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
My highest piece of advice to pay attention. Don't just rush into conflict, you'll likely die very quickly and be dead weight for your team. Painting the map is the second best piece of advice. If you don't paint the map, you can't push or defend the objective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom