• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Advice for using chargers ?

ShadowStriker34

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3051-4861-5047
I want to be at least decent with the chargers so I can use them if I need to. I get around 6-7 splats average using the splat charger.Does anyone have any advice on how to improve ?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
6-7 splats isn't bad. Unless you get, like, no points at all. Personally, I find that the Bamboozler and the Squiffer are easy to learn and they might net you some quick experience with aiming, since you can shoot much more often with those. Of course, with the long-range chargers, you'll want to miss less often as they have a long charge time, but it's still some useful practice I think.

But really, I rarely see people getting more than, like, 4-5 kills with it. It's just an annoying weapon since misses are punished so hard. I'd just be content with the 6-7 kills, tbh.

Reflex_15

Inkling
NNID
inkvasion-2040
Switch Friend Code
SW-3793-6810-8407
I actually used to hate chargers, now I main them.
I was terrible at first (Of course) But I did improve a lot. Here's what I did, and sorry if it doesn't help.

Practice your aim in the testing area/Firing range/Whatever you want to call it.
I tried to practice my aim in the testing area in the original Splatoon once a day for at least 20 minutes. Of course, you don't need to do it everyday. Maybe like 2, 3 times a month. It's good to try to move around a lot while aiming. It makes you harder to hit, although it's hard to get used to.

Practice snapping (In turf wars, pbs, the testing area, etc)
It's good to practice quickly turning to an unsuspecting enemy to give them a heart attack.
But seriously, the laser pointer makes it quite obvious to see when you're being hunted by a charger, and a good way to avoid that is snapping. Apparently most people use the sticks to snap, but I just jerk the controller...
I don't recommend doing that. But hey, it works for me.

Choosing the right abilities for your charger.
This one is obvious. You can probably just look up Strategy guides for your charger and it'll tell you what that person thinks is best for that charger. Think smart, play smart.

Shoot, even when you know you're going to miss. (Turf wars, pbs, testing range)
You're going to miss eventually. Just get all the bad shots out of your system. It's hard to explain, but it works.
(For me at least)

Try playing weapons you don't normally play.
By playing the weapons you almost never play, you'll learn their strengths...And their weaknesses.

Sorry for the long comment, I hope this helps!

thundasi

Senior Squid
Ok thanks for starting this cause this iis a really hard skill cap for me currently, i keep jerking when i release the shot. i have controls at motion +1 and stick -1 which is my normal shooter setup. i have tried kentucky windage and that helps half the time, any advice besides get good would be helpful ( i already know that one! :) ) would loke to hear about controller setups, stick or motion snaps. thanks for everything community.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I used to play a whole bunch of chargers in splat 1, but now I'm a filthy blaster main, so bear with me. I was pretty good with the charger class back in the day, but things have changed for sure.

For one, chargers require a lot of advanced techniques to consistently hit shots. Some techniques have already been looked at in this post, with snapping your snipes. And techniques like this are necessary to be a threat to everyone on the battlefield. As a charger's job is to deter someone off of an objective in fear that they are going to get sniped. And if the opponent sees your laser, they will most likely retreat. So it's important that you stay alive to scare people away from the objective.

The opponents that you want to deal with first (and are the biggest threat to you) are other chargers and blasters. A charger can fight toe to toe with you, so there's no use in backing up. And a blaster can blow up your sniping perch since they don't need to have a line of sight to kill you. So only start taking up a perch comfortably if both of those aren't up and in your face.

To fight snipers, a tip called right side peeking is crucial to survival in a charger 1v1. As it reveals just the tip of your laser, but covers your inkling safely. Here's a video to describe what I'm talking about in depth.

There are also slight variations to that, such as jump shotting (using a small wall/box to cover yourself before you let out a shot), and dragging a shot from the ground up to startle an opponent. Be careful with this though. A Blaster (like I mentioned earlier) will blow you up out of the cover you're trying to hide in. So peeking against these weapon types is futile. Just make sure the blaster can't get close to you, because if they do, it's usually game over for the charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom