• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Alert: Konami refuses Kojima from getting award

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
According to the article, Konami is out right refusing Hideo Kojima for accepting his award for Metal Gear Solid 5. Konami has even claimed all credit for the game and series. They have been effectively phasing out Kojima from all motions of being part of the company even though they claim he is on 'vaction'.

What do you guys think?

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Konami is the bad company now. EA and Capcom (Japan) got nothing on what Konami has been doing. And the funny thing is that they didnt really have to do any of the stuff they have been doing. I really do expect Konami to go bankrupt due to their bad customer relationship. Pachinko money wont stay loyal

Cassandra

Inkling
NNID
groosinator
Well, I guess I'm not buying any post-Kojima Konami games.
All my yes to this.

Konami has been awfully horrible and disappointing lately, and I'm sure they know it, but not allowing Kojima to collect his very well-deserved awards is just too far. I'm glad their stocks tanked.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Konami deserved the callout from Geoff at the awards and they have now taken the trophy of the worst publisher in modern gaming history from EA. Enjoy it you dirtbags.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I just found out today that Konami just lost a Major Metricton of Stock Value after the debacle at the Game Awards with the lawyers of Konami refusing Kojima the award. I predicted huge fan uprising backlash, and it just flippin' happened the next day. lol

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I just found out today that Konami just lost a Major Metricton of Stock Value after the debacle at the Game Awards with the lawyers of Konami refusing Kojima the award. I predicted huge fan uprising backlash, and it just flippin' happened the next day. lol
Serves them right. What Konami is doing is pure BS. I would think Kojima would've loved to pick up that award on stage, especially because MGSV was his last one.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Serves them right. What Konami is doing is pure BS. I would think Kojima would've loved to pick up that award on stage, especially because MGSV was his last one.
The issue with that is that Konami has claimed credit for MGSV The Phantom Pain. They have effectly taken Kojima's name of the game and they are even taking away his name from the series. At the rate it's going, they are effectively dismantling the Metal Gear series. I do have a feeling Kojima will return to Silent Hills, though. I personally wanna see his take on Silent Hill. Also if he can get back Guillermo del Toro for the horror aspects of it, they could make it for sure. The trailer for Silent Hills, before Konami pulled this bullshit, proved that Kojima has major respect for the Silent Hill series.

The fact that the end of this trailer played Silent Hill 1's theme, is proof that Kojima was planning on returning Silent Hill to it's roots. Or at least make it like the old trilogy of Silent Hill games, which are amazing. (Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 3, just in case you didn't know what I meant by old trilogy.)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Glad I never bought anything from Konami in years. Last one I bought was Rocket Knight on Steam. They really deserve to go bankrupt after pulling this stunt.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Never really played Metal Gear Solid games, but man, Konami's really making everybody hate them. I'm not sure what they're doing anymore. :V

MSGV looks hella sick, by the way.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
At this point I'm sorely hoping some upstart rival knocks Konami clean out of the pachinko business somehow.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
This sort of thing is why I hope publishers get phased out. It will be hard, as they've served as the gatekeepers for the video game industry for years and they won't give that up easily.

I am not an attorney nor do I have any legal training. In my layman's opinion though, they are technically and legally correct:MGS is their series. Publishers in any industry (save for possibly literature and technical writing) make a point to secure IP rights on anything they publish. Even though it was Kojima's idea and his name is attached to it, the series belongs to Konami.

This same thing happened with Mega Man and Capcom: the dev and Capcom had a falling out, Capcom kept the Mega Man name, and the dev had to start what was essentially a knock-off series of his own game. Iga is working on something similar with Castlevania, as well.

Now that digital distribution has become so widespread, and Patreon makes crowd funding these games a reality, I think more an more of the major series developers are realizing that they can strike out on their own and maintain absolute control over their IP rather than having to answer to a board of investors or listen to a committee. I hope this becomes the norm and more developers take this approach. Businessmen are smart people but they are businessmen, not content creators. They do not need to be telling developers how to do to make a game anymore than I need to be telling an electrician how to wire my house just because I sign the check.

I hope more developers use the internet to weaken the industry's dependence on a few publisher gatekeepers who seize IP rights to content they only helped fund and distribute and did not create. The internet has made it much easier for people to connect without having to have a formal organizational structure. Devs can connect with graphic artists, animators, musicians, etc. without having to be a part of a company to bring all these elements together. They just need the funding and distribution, which the internet can also easily solve.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
If you watch the video where the host of the game awards announces this, you can actually hear the crowd booing in the background. (Would link it, but I'm on mobile) Seriously, between the cancelation of Silent Hills and then announcing a pachinko machine instead, withdrawing from the stock market, and all but firing Kojima and denying him accepting an award for his own game, it seems like Konami is purposely trying to get everyone to hate them. I have a feeling that once the money pile from MGS5 runs out, they're gonna be going bankrupt. Hopefully their franchises will be bought by developers who actually care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom