• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Am I using the inkbrush right?

Neuro

Inkling
NNID
Neurotoxus

Herro. I've been playing Splatoon for about....4 days now, and I've grown very fond of the Ink Brush. When I'm very into something (like the ink brush), I tend to thoroughly look at a playstyle or how it can benefit me over anything else. Now I'm posting some gameplay and wondering if I'm doing my job right. This game wasn't the best, honestly but it's the first thing I recorded last night haha.

Kiritora

Inkster Jr.
Always remember to use your subs. I haven't seen you do so once in your video.

It's hard to say since there were two d/c's in this video, but I hardly ever see you running around. You can get to places quickly and if you just sit and paint everything you're an easy target for the opposite team. Be mindful of what's going on around you and if in doubt, just run away (unless you have enough ink to just squid away). You will always be out-ranged by someone.

Also on maps like Saltspray Rig you can run immediately to the top middle area. If you do, some of us get the idea and can follow you there. Since your run speed is as fast as squid speed this is an easy way to cart around team mates to places.

Neuro

Inkling
NNID
Neurotoxus
I have a bad habit of not using my subs. However, last night when I played with my bud, I started using it more often. I just don't really know when to do so.

I don't run around much, but I've tried to do it often too. Especially during gun fights I know I can't win. And I've pretty much only ran in ranked.

Got it! I have a question about abilities. Should I focus on any specifically as an ink brush user?

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
Since the ink brush has incredible inking speed, I usually rush to the center of the map and start covering turf there.

Also if you ever notice enemies are shooting at you that's your cue to zoom away by holding ZR, not spamming it. You wouldn't believe how many times I've escaped by doing this lol. One of the ink brush user's role is to be a squid beacon for their team, at least that's what I've heard. So you should try to stay alive, allowing your team to super jump to you

Use your subs to distract enemies then use your stealth skills and take them out. When you discover an unsuspecting enemy, make sure you get close enough to them to take them out with 3-4 swipes. You don't want them to notice you since they're most likely using a ranged weapon and can just turn around and shoot you.

Make sure you dont get TOO close because I heard if you slap an opposing inkling with the very tip of the brush, it'll only take 3 hits but if you're closer it'll only take four. I don't really think it makes much of a difference since its so freaking fast but I guess its good to know

I've noticed when you're inking turf, you don't jump and ink. Usually I jump, spam ZR and swim in the ink I just slapped down, that way you never really do run out of ink while covering turf unless you use a sub of course. This method is also much faster I believe and when you're popping in and out of your own ink its more difficult to kill you

For main/sub abilities you should get:

Ninja Squid: Since using an ink brush requires stealth, you don't want enemies to detect you while swimming in your own ink. This slows down your swimming speed though

Ink Resistance Up: Anybody should get this tbh its just helpful. Reduces damage when standing in enemies ink.

Swim Speed Up: Can be used to negate effects of Ninja Squid I guess

Defense up: This one is on the fence for me but since just about everyone else is using ranged weapons, it's pretty easy for them to kill an ink brush user if there's distance between them. With 3 defense up sub abilities (or 1 main ability) it should take an extra hit to kill you. However if the opponent has Attack Up then the abilities will negate each other

That's all I've got for now but I'm not a pro ink brush user or anything I just main it sooooo yeah lmao

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
You've got the right idea (avoiding the speedy ground-painting, very good!) but you made some silly small mistakes.

Stop aiming at your feet all the time! The Inkbrush has a good range, and it's wasted if you aim it down. Try and aim straight in front of you. I'd also recommend learning to master the motion controls, because it means you can move and react much faster. (It would have saved you from a few splats there.)

Use your sprinklers. The Underpass has a fantastic sprinkler spot on the stuff above the centre of the map - you should always be trying to spot less-obvious places to drop your sprinklers.

Don't avoid ground-painting entirely. It may be mostly useless in neutral territory, but it is fantastic for escaping enemy ink. Once you get the hang of it, you can take more risks with the confidence that you can break free without trouble.

Also, cut down your YouTube intro. It's five times longer than it needs to be. :P

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
I would actually avoid getting into head-on duels unless it's a Gold Dynamo Roller if I was you. Having the Ink Brush ensures you can flank enemies or jump out at them while they are least expecting you. The best Ink Brush players I've ran into are just a huge neucence since they rush past me and ambush me when I least expect them. The ones that generally don't do as well are the guys who don't use the superior movement capabilities of the Ink Brush.

Personally this is the one weapon I will never play - because I'm not good at rapid firing with the buttons. I tried it a couple of times and was one of the worst players on my team.

Neuro

Inkling
NNID
Neurotoxus
Since the ink brush has incredible inking speed, I usually rush to the center of the map and start covering turf there.

Also if you ever notice enemies are shooting at you that's your cue to zoom away by holding ZR, not spamming it. You wouldn't believe how many times I've escaped by doing this lol. One of the ink brush user's role is to be a squid beacon for their team, at least that's what I've heard. So you should try to stay alive, allowing your team to super jump to you

Use your subs to distract enemies then use your stealth skills and take them out. When you discover an unsuspecting enemy, make sure you get close enough to them to take them out with 3-4 swipes. You don't want them to notice you since they're most likely using a ranged weapon and can just turn around and shoot you.

Make sure you dont get TOO close because I heard if you slap an opposing inkling with the very tip of the brush, it'll only take 3 hits but if you're closer it'll only take four. I don't really think it makes much of a difference since its so freaking fast but I guess its good to know

I've noticed when you're inking turf, you don't jump and ink. Usually I jump, spam ZR and swim in the ink I just slapped down, that way you never really do run out of ink while covering turf unless you use a sub of course. This method is also much faster I believe and when you're popping in and out of your own ink its more difficult to kill you

For main/sub abilities you should get:

Ninja Squid: Since using an ink brush requires stealth, you don't want enemies to detect you while swimming in your own ink. This slows down your swimming speed though

Ink Resistance Up: Anybody should get this tbh its just helpful. Reduces damage when standing in enemies ink.

Swim Speed Up: Can be used to negate effects of Ninja Squid I guess

Defense up: This one is on the fence for me but since just about everyone else is using ranged weapons, it's pretty easy for them to kill an ink brush user if there's distance between them. With 3 defense up sub abilities (or 1 main ability) it should take an extra hit to kill you. However if the opponent has Attack Up then the abilities will negate each other

That's all I've got for now but I'm not a pro ink brush user or anything I just main it sooooo yeah lmao
When it comes to turf war, I don't usually play against the brightest people....So I always decide to stay in and duel it out. I completely understand that I shouldn't have that mindset as a brush user.

Thank you for the tip...tip. :P Very good to know. Jumping and inking is something I've already been told, and I'm slowly trying to transition into it.

I will always be confused when it comes to abilities. Someone has suggested ink saver because I don't like to throw my sub and end up with little to no ink. Think you could suggest something around that? If not, that's ok, I'll gladly try everything out. :)

You've got the right idea (avoiding the speedy ground-painting, very good!) but you made some silly small mistakes.

Stop aiming at your feet all the time! The Inkbrush has a good range, and it's wasted if you aim it down. Try and aim straight in front of you. I'd also recommend learning to master the motion controls, because it means you can move and react much faster. (It would have saved you from a few splats there.)

Use your sprinklers. The Underpass has a fantastic sprinkler spot on the stuff above the centre of the map - you should always be trying to spot less-obvious places to drop your sprinklers.

Don't avoid ground-painting entirely. It may be mostly useless in neutral territory, but it is fantastic for escaping enemy ink. Once you get the hang of it, you can take more risks with the confidence that you can break free without trouble.

Also, cut down your YouTube intro. It's five times longer than it needs to be. :p
Haha the intro....Yeah I don't plan on using one, unless I find something that's short and sweet. I felt like I need something in it since I didn't do commentary.

I was already told to stop aiming at my feet, it's something I've already worked on and it's working better :).....But I still do it every now and again. I haaaaaaaaate the motion controls and always have when it comes to those controls for any game. I've seen videos of people playing with it and I know it works way better. I also adore The Underpass, I learned from an opponent to aim it above. I always used to just throw my sub wherever.

I would actually avoid getting into head-on duels unless it's a Gold Dynamo Roller if I was you. Having the Ink Brush ensures you can flank enemies or jump out at them while they are least expecting you. The best Ink Brush players I've ran into are just a huge neucence since they rush past me and ambush me when I least expect them. The ones that generally don't do as well are the guys who don't use the superior movement capabilities of the Ink Brush.

Personally this is the one weapon I will never play - because I'm not good at rapid firing with the buttons. I tried it a couple of times and was one of the worst players on my team.
I'm awful when it comes to rollers. I always joke around with my friend that they're OP because I always run into them like a derp. I can't help it, I guess I'm attracted to them lol. I can normally do well in games, I haven't really had a problem, but there are hiccups I do of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom