• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Analog vs motion

Leaf [LS]

Full Squid
NNID
Leafstorm64
Well no one's heard this one before but I came to a conclusion that I haven't seen anyone else mention so let's get started.
I've used analog throughout my splatoon "career" and everyone said that motion was the better option so I practiced and got proficient with it. So it was time to put it to the test I did some battles and overall a lot of my weapons had a small improvement except for chargers (there were others though I'm going to be using chargers for my example). This makes sense because chargers require a more steady aim. Well yes motion is faster it's easier to keep steady with analog. Yet weapons like the octoshot benefit from very fast aim for close quarters combat. So in the end I decided both were valid with certain weapons being better with different kinds of controls. So in conclusion everyone would benefit from learning both sides to fit each individual weapons needs.

Well that was my conclusion I hope I was able to bring some new insight into an old topic.

Koi

Inkster Jr.
éternelle douleur, the land of eternal pain
NNID
Kaidan123
Not always. Reason why some people might use analog is maybe because they had a past of playing other shooter games with analog. People can still use chargers without using analog. There are pro splatoon gamers that use analog controls so analog doesn't get hate. This all really depends on personal preference and play style. And as im going to predict that this opinion i made here won't matter cuz this is the internet and 85% of all opinions on the internet really don't matter. But if you happen to pass by this reply, that's great! That shows that you would take those precious few minutes of yours to read this reply, and that means a lot to me. :)

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Ive always played analog troughout my gaming career from halo CE to stuff like CoD and I was never one for playing on the PC so naturally I gravitated towards the analog for splatoon. Recently my right stick has been acting up and moves up constantly so I was kinda forced to switch to motion since I didnt wanna pay that 70 dollar price tag to get it fixed. Previously whenever I tried motion control I was never able to grasp it and analog always felt more natural but since Ive been going on a couple days with motion I realize its not so bad. I feel like ill always prefer analog but motion is ok too.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Never turned analog on, never really needed it. After completing Octo Valley, I was able to play pretty comfortably, and I honestly find it easier since I can focus on moving and turning relatively easily. If you have not tried it, I highly recommend to use motion controls and practice until you feel comfortable. I never really played any shooters beforehand, so it might be easier for new players to get used to the stick controls.

So it was time to put it to the test I did some battles and overall a lot of my weapons had a small improvement except for chargers (there were others though I'm going to be using chargers for my example). This makes sense because chargers require a more steady aim.
If you feel somewhat jittery or shaky when playing, try bringing the sensitivity down. You may need to move the gamepad more, but it is a bit easier for precision.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I feel totally opposite about chargers. You need lightning quick aim to get splats with the charger, tinkering with analog aiming is gonna get you killed more often than not. If you see high level players using E-Liters they'll do things called "drag shots" where they'll see someone in their peripheral (off to the side of where they're aiming), swiftly pan over and splat them with speed and precision that is nearly impossible with analog.

This player would have almost certainly been splatted if she'd lacked the reflexive precision that motion controls allowed her to be able to pull off these kills. Of course, I always advocate doing whatever you are comfortable with! I'm not saying your way is wrong or worse than any other way. Just offering a few things to consider!

Leaf [LS]

Full Squid
NNID
Leafstorm64
I feel totally opposite about chargers. You need lightning quick aim to get splats with the charger, tinkering with analog aiming is gonna get you killed more often than not. If you see high level players using E-Liters they'll do things called "drag shots" where they'll see someone in their peripheral (off to the side of where they're aiming), swiftly pan over and splat them with speed and precision that is nearly impossible with analog.

This player would have almost certainly been splatted if she'd lacked the reflexive precision that motion controls allowed her to be able to pull off these kills. Of course, I always advocate doing whatever you are comfortable with! I'm not saying your way is wrong or worse than any other way. Just offering a few things to consider!
I can't deny the drag shot is a really good point. Yet because of how splatoon is there are other ways of dealing with the drag shot situations. I'll use the first clip for the example if you waited for the enemy to start climbing they would have been vulnerable though I'll admit the drag shot is far safer.

Last edited:

Leaf [LS]

Full Squid
NNID
Leafstorm64
Never turned analog on, never really needed it. After completing Octo Valley, I was able to play pretty comfortably, and I honestly find it easier since I can focus on moving and turning relatively easily. If you have not tried it, I highly recommend to use motion controls and practice until you feel comfortable. I never really played any shooters beforehand, so it might be easier for new players to get used to the stick controls.

If you feel somewhat jittery or shaky when playing, try bringing the sensitivity down. You may need to move the gamepad more, but it is a bit easier for precision.
Yes though If I bring the sensitivity down that kills the point of gyro which is faster aiming.

Leaf [LS]

Full Squid
NNID
Leafstorm64
Not always. Reason why some people might use analog is maybe because they had a past of playing other shooter games with analog. People can still use chargers without using analog. There are pro splatoon gamers that use analog controls so analog doesn't get hate. This all really depends on personal preference and play style. And as im going to predict that this opinion i made here won't matter cuz this is the internet and 85% of all opinions on the internet really don't matter. But if you happen to pass by this reply, that's great! That shows that you would take those precious few minutes of yours to read this reply, and that means a lot to me. :)
Preference will always be a factor though I'm looking for what gives the best results I may use analog most of the time though I Learned gyro for results. I wanted to hear what people said was the most effective for future reference. (It's the reason I made this thread in the first place)

Koi

Inkster Jr.
éternelle douleur, the land of eternal pain
NNID
Kaidan123
Motion lets players react better to enemy shots since it enables the user to turn faster but sticks allow more precise aim since once you aim at your, you lock onto it while motion on the other hand, you're constantly moving a little bit because of natural human nature. I used to play sticks cuz I thought the whole motion was hard for me, but when I changed to motion it was just mind-boggling of how easier it was to play then sticks. So here is my conclusion. If you want steadier aim but less agility to your turns, choose sticks. If you want cat-like speed to your turns but ok with the shakey aim, choose motion. But there are limits of what you can do with sticks, for example, "Drag-Shots" (as mentioned above by birdiebee) and Snapping your shots with the chargers. This is much harder to do on stick control because of the speed difference between stick and motion. You can still do this actions, but you will have to have your sensitivity to max and have like hours of practice to master it. And looking from a lot of people, a lot more people choose motion over stick, so you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom