Analyzing the mechanics of every weapon

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
First up: the Splattershot family! This includes jr, shot, pro, and nova. The other shooters are probably similar, but I'll cover them separately since there are some notable differences.

All four of them are based on water guns. Junior is one of those cheap clear plastic ones, and shot, pro, and nova get progressively fancier. Due to the similarities in name, visual design, and function, I think it's fair to assume that all four of these work the same way. I'll be looking at the splattershot jr since it's the only one we can see the inside of (sort of).

Because it looks pretty much exactly like those little plastic water guns, it should reasonably work the same way. But there are two problems with this. The much smaller problem is that the storage isn't inside the gun; it's in the ink tank. But this isn't really as much of a problem as it is a difference. The location of the ink storage is in a different spot. That's all.

The second problem is the one that's actually a problem though. With those little plastic guns, when you're pushing the button in, water shoots out in a constant stream, and when you're not, it doesn't. However, jr doesn't release ink in a steady stream. And I'm fairly confident that the inklings aren't pushing the trigger in and out 12 times a second. It's clearly a fully automatic gun. Which brings up two major questions. What's powering it, and what's separating the shots? With the real life water gun, it's the force of your finger on the trigger/button thing that powers it, but that can't be the case here. I feel like this gets more into lore than the mechanics of the weapon itself, but it's still relevant, so I'll just link you to this video that I happen to agree with.

Which just leaves the question of, what separates the shots? At first I couldn't think of anything and was going to just chalk it up to magic or something, but then I noticed that all of the splattershots have a little circle thing on the top that none of the other shooters have. Apparently this is a part of most water guns, and water shoots through those just fine, but maybe because of the ink probably being thicker than water (it certainly *looks* thicker) pressure builds up and releases behind that plastic piece? This could also explain the shot deviation, and the differences in the plastic pieces on the different guns could explain at least some of the variations in shot range, damage, and fire rate.

okay that was a lot of text so here's a summary:
-the splattershots are water guns, for ink
-lore
-the pressure of the ink builds up briefly behind the plastic thingy at the tip, causing the ink to come out as individual shots

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I've been a bit short on time recently so I'll go ahead and get the easy ones out of the way first. That means bucket! It's probably the simplest weapon in the entire game, except for maybe the tri-slosher.

uhhh I accidentally hit send so just ignore this for a bit

also I can't figure out how to save drafts for edits so this might be a bit weird

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom