• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Any High-Level Slosher Tips or Players?

Tictac39

Inkling
NNID
Tictac39
Hi there! I'm tictac, aka question mark guy.
I'm a Competitive Splatoon Player for Komodo and Shinka. I want to become a player that can use all weapons to some extent, and also one that'll be able to play many roles for both of my teams. Just wanted some tips or a place where i can see some quality slosher gameplay to learn from. I want to be able to use all three sloshers (vanilla, deco, and soda), so in general and kit-specific slosher tips are welcome.
Thank you! :3

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
One question: How did you join 7 months ago and this is your first comment!? I can't anwser your question though, sorry.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Hi~

I'm thinking about making the vanilla slosher one of my competitive weapons. I'm not there yet though... I only have one video on my channel with it, so maybe you can watch it (link at the end), but two opponents (dynamo and sploosh) weren't very strong so it explains the game. I'm probably too passive with it atm, that's why I'm not able to carry most of my games with it, and even had a close game while I killed a lot.

The set I used recently is a bit too extreme I believe, too bomb-oriented. Then again, if I use vanilla, of course I want to make something out of the burst bombs, else I'd play another set (kraken for instance is something I like to rely on to prevent overtime in RM and TC, probably easier to go up in ranked). I don't remember the exact numbers, but it should be something like 1 main 1 sub bomb range up, with everything else in ink saver main/sub. Maybe a bit of ink recovery... Basically, lots of ink and range up.

I would say the damage up isn't needed, but I'm pretty sure lots of players would still recommend it, especially for the burst version. I'm pretty sure the three weapons ask for at least one main worth of ink (recovery or saver). I wouldn't recommend run speed on these, though it might be a possibility on some maps if you want to use grates. I'm thinking of trying to play the slosher without any bomb nor special to understand it better. If I have things to share, I'll be sure to describe them here. I'm thinking about trying swim speed too.

I would say the hard part is to play at the right distance with any of the three sets, as the weapon still asks for some accuracy despite its looks. Or maybe it's because I'm used to play range blaster... ^^

CptKipz

Inkling
NNID
Zachary54
Yello!~
I'm probably not the best Slosher user on earth, but I do like to use them when I think they'll fill a roll that I haven't seen a lot on my teams. (aka I've only played solo queue and these are basically what I've learned from that)
First of all, Sloshers play really differently from any other weapon type. It's such a weird mix of what other weapons do. Sloshers can be really aggressive when people are distracted, or when they underestimate the sloshers potential. At the same time, they're pretty solid at being supportive and covering turf. My first bit of advice is to figure out ink management, as these things literally murder your ink tank. I usually run at least a thing of Ink Saver main, and the first two slosher kits definitely ask for some Ink Saver Sub. I usually like Swim Speed on the sloshers too, especially on the Deco variant. Make sure you understand how long the Sloshing animation takes, because sometimes hitting that button one too many times can really screw you over. And don't forget about angling your shots. Hitting people over walls is one of the Slosher's selling points for good reason.
For the vanilla Slosher, I usually go ~2 mains of Ink Saver Sub, ~1 or 2 Damage mains, and fill the rest with swim speed or ink saver main. Oh, Bomb Range on this one is fun too, but I typically don't go over 1 main. Obviously there's the Slosh into Burst Bomb technique, so don't ignore that.
For the Slosher Deco, I think I go 1 Damage main, 2-3 swim speed mains, and a bunch of sub saver / main saver. This set is obviously a lot more offensive and is great at walling people out / keeping them away from the rest of your team. I typically save the Kraken as a panic button, but it's probably smarter to use it to push and have your teammates help you out.
I don't use the Soda Slosher a ton, but Splat Bomb + Inkzooka can definitely wreck havoc. I usually use Bomb Range here, just to help you get people around corners or people that are camping higher up. Having a bomb against splash walls is also very useful, so Ink Recovery to charge bombs faster might be a good idea.
Back into general tips, if there's a group of people, I try not to aim at just one of them. it's better to force them to huddle together and get group kills by aiming above them all. Don't have any tips for Splat Zones or Rainmaker (I do think the sloshers are pretty good at hitting whoever's holding the rainmaker, and it'll definitely slow them down with a single slosh), but I would be wary of Tower Control. I usually have trouble hitting people sitting on the actual tower because of how well the little spike-thing blocks shots, but that might just be me.
As for some maps I think the sloshers can do well on, I'd say Port Mackerel, Piranha Pit, Mahi-Mahi, Arrowanna Mall, and Walleye have shown the most success for me. Oh, and Flounder Heights. If you're team can set up, you can easily murder anyone trying to climb up those walls. Slosher in general are really good for inking walls. I think Sloshers are a really good anti-snipe, so it might be a good idea to make that your priority in a match, especially on maps where the sniper perches can't usually be accessed from below.
Last bits of advice, don't overextend yourself unless you're confident in your skills. Whenever I try to take on people alone, it doesn't usually work out too well lol. Again, I do only play alone, but you'd probably do a lot better on a squad with actual communication and teamwork lol.
That's about it, I hope this helped you at least a little!
Oh, and if you haven't already seen it, ThatSrb2DUDE has a pretty impressive flawless match with the Soda Slosher on his youtube channel.

Tictac39

Inkling
NNID
Tictac39
One question: How did you join 7 months ago and this is your first comment!? I can't anwser your question though, sorry.
Sorry for the late reply X.X
I made a squidboards account a long time ago, i just never came here that much

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's almost like people make accounts and forget about them, what a concept. I'm glad other people were able to provide advice, because this post of yours is pointlessly rude.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Oh, about killing people on the tower, it’s not just you. There is at least me, too.

Actually when the first slosher came out I thought “omg, it will be SO easy to kill the tower riders, let’s try it right away”, and then… Hell. I asked a mate for private and tried lots of shots, and I would say it’s a bad weapon to kill on the tower. Basically, you have to play as if you wanted to kill with “fall-off damage” from a shooter type, but you don’t have the flexibility of a shooter. So, more risks, less shots. Another thing: slosher shot is kinda weird when you hit a wall by mistake. Like, only a part of your shot hits a wall... The ink will make a path, then you have some ink on the wall, then no ink on the floor, and then the end of the path. That’s why on the tower, people are really protected from you. Best weapons to easily hit riders are still blasters, and probably sloshing machine.

So for TC, if your stuff allows burst-spam it’s a possibility, else you have the splat with the Soda one. But I think the sloshers will prefer letting the tower advance and go around, take back some map control or/and stopping the push by behind (pincer attack with your mates).

About the burst combo, it's awesome, but I had some problems with it. Basically, don't use it too much. Because:
- it takes a lot of ink just for one kill
- if you go burst then shot, and miss the shot, the chances of exchanging (or even dying alone) are quite high

At least in S+, I feel it's not that easy to use the burst-then-shot at a good distance, as players are moving a lot. But I like to play it the other way around, shot-then-burst. This way you still have a choice: second hit or burst. It's better to kill a fleeing enemy, too. So, the burst-then-shot is a very fast killing way, but I would say the shot-then-burst is better as an habit.

And about maps, I would add the other vertical map: Moray. I can definitely take a slosher for this, especially in zones.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Thanks for the answer tictac! I was just wondering. And what is wrong with wondering @Dessgeega ? I do not actually know what I said wrong.

Tictac39

Inkling
NNID
Tictac39
Oh, about killing people on the tower, it’s not just you. There is at least me, too.

Actually when the first slosher came out I thought “omg, it will be SO easy to kill the tower riders, let’s try it right away”, and then… Hell. I asked a mate for private and tried lots of shots, and I would say it’s a bad weapon to kill on the tower. Basically, you have to play as if you wanted to kill with “fall-off damage” from a shooter type, but you don’t have the flexibility of a shooter. So, more risks, less shots. Another thing: slosher shot is kinda weird when you hit a wall by mistake. Like, only a part of your shot hits a wall... The ink will make a path, then you have some ink on the wall, then no ink on the floor, and then the end of the path. That’s why on the tower, people are really protected from you. Best weapons to easily hit riders are still blasters, and probably sloshing machine.

So for TC, if your stuff allows burst-spam it’s a possibility, else you have the splat with the Soda one. But I think the sloshers will prefer letting the tower advance and go around, take back some map control or/and stopping the push by behind (pincer attack with your mates).

About the burst combo, it's awesome, but I had some problems with it. Basically, don't use it too much. Because:
- it takes a lot of ink just for one kill
- if you go burst then shot, and miss the shot, the chances of exchanging (or even dying alone) are quite high

At least in S+, I feel it's not that easy to use the burst-then-shot at a good distance, as players are moving a lot. But I like to play it the other way around, shot-then-burst. This way you still have a choice: second hit or burst. It's better to kill a fleeing enemy, too. So, the burst-then-shot is a very fast killing way, but I would say the shot-then-burst is better as an habit.

And about maps, I would add the other vertical map: Moray. I can definitely take a slosher for this, especially in zones.
Gotcha, Thank you sooo much for the helpful tips :D
Also, nice plays in the video, you are a good slosher. i'll go ahead and practice with the tips i got so far
Thank you ;3

Tictac39

Inkling
NNID
Tictac39
Yello!~
I'm probably not the best Slosher user on earth, but I do like to use them when I think they'll fill a roll that I haven't seen a lot on my teams. (aka I've only played solo queue and these are basically what I've learned from that)
First of all, Sloshers play really differently from any other weapon type. It's such a weird mix of what other weapons do. Sloshers can be really aggressive when people are distracted, or when they underestimate the sloshers potential. At the same time, they're pretty solid at being supportive and covering turf. My first bit of advice is to figure out ink management, as these things literally murder your ink tank. I usually run at least a thing of Ink Saver main, and the first two slosher kits definitely ask for some Ink Saver Sub. I usually like Swim Speed on the sloshers too, especially on the Deco variant. Make sure you understand how long the Sloshing animation takes, because sometimes hitting that button one too many times can really screw you over. And don't forget about angling your shots. Hitting people over walls is one of the Slosher's selling points for good reason.
For the vanilla Slosher, I usually go ~2 mains of Ink Saver Sub, ~1 or 2 Damage mains, and fill the rest with swim speed or ink saver main. Oh, Bomb Range on this one is fun too, but I typically don't go over 1 main. Obviously there's the Slosh into Burst Bomb technique, so don't ignore that.
For the Slosher Deco, I think I go 1 Damage main, 2-3 swim speed mains, and a bunch of sub saver / main saver. This set is obviously a lot more offensive and is great at walling people out / keeping them away from the rest of your team. I typically save the Kraken as a panic button, but it's probably smarter to use it to push and have your teammates help you out.
I don't use the Soda Slosher a ton, but Splat Bomb + Inkzooka can definitely wreck havoc. I usually use Bomb Range here, just to help you get people around corners or people that are camping higher up. Having a bomb against splash walls is also very useful, so Ink Recovery to charge bombs faster might be a good idea.
Back into general tips, if there's a group of people, I try not to aim at just one of them. it's better to force them to huddle together and get group kills by aiming above them all. Don't have any tips for Splat Zones or Rainmaker (I do think the sloshers are pretty good at hitting whoever's holding the rainmaker, and it'll definitely slow them down with a single slosh), but I would be wary of Tower Control. I usually have trouble hitting people sitting on the actual tower because of how well the little spike-thing blocks shots, but that might just be me.
As for some maps I think the sloshers can do well on, I'd say Port Mackerel, Piranha Pit, Mahi-Mahi, Arrowanna Mall, and Walleye have shown the most success for me. Oh, and Flounder Heights. If you're team can set up, you can easily murder anyone trying to climb up those walls. Slosher in general are really good for inking walls. I think Sloshers are a really good anti-snipe, so it might be a good idea to make that your priority in a match, especially on maps where the sniper perches can't usually be accessed from below.
Last bits of advice, don't overextend yourself unless you're confident in your skills. Whenever I try to take on people alone, it doesn't usually work out too well lol. Again, I do only play alone, but you'd probably do a lot better on a squad with actual communication and teamwork lol.
That's about it, I hope this helped you at least a little!
Oh, and if you haven't already seen it, ThatSrb2DUDE has a pretty impressive flawless match with the Soda Slosher on his youtube channel.
Okay, i'll make sure that i don't overextend. I'll also try getting the snipers and aiming at people that are above me. Thanks for the tips, they were and are very helpful :3

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I'm S+ with slosher, but remember it's just one game where I killed a lot, it doesn't usually happen that much. Anyway it's good if I helped.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Everyone else pretty much covered everything already, but one thing I can add is jumping can be quite helpful for this weapon since it's still perfectly accurate in mid-air, although it does lose a tiny bit of range for some reason.

Tictac39

Inkling
NNID
Tictac39
Everyone else pretty much covered everything already, but one thing I can add is jumping can be quite helpful for this weapon since it's still perfectly accurate in mid-air, although it does lose a tiny bit of range for some reason.
Gotcha, ty ;3

Mighty Squid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SquidSquadNova
tictac i would also ask apollo x on discord if u want more answers on slashers and such if u haven't found answers
i know he played for c-, and second wind and mains slosher

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom