Any Mega Man fans? or fans of more obscure things like mother 3, cave story, or yume nikki?

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
i'm gonna elaborate beyond "yume nikki mentioned" lol. i first played yn all the way through when i was like, 12 (crazy to think i've been a yume nikki enjoyer for literally half my life now) and having baby's first mental health episode and it was pretty much what got me through 7th grade. i was very scared of being chased so i went out of my way to avoid angering the toriningen/avoid areas where i knew they were already angered, and i definitely needed walkthroughs/wikisurfing to finish the game in part because i was scared of getting chased 😭 i think i'm generally a little braver in video games now, and i'm long overdue for a yume nikki replay, so i've gotta play again sometime. it's definitely a game that benefits from taking it slow and exploring rather than rushing to the end, and i've always liked that it relies more on atmosphere than jumpscares for its horror

i was also really into the fangames, but i couldn't get a good chunk of them to work back in 2012-13 lol. .flow worked, and it was one of my favorites (i've gotta replay .flow too sometime...), and some western ones like the looking glass worked because i didn't have to work around them being made for japanese systems, but i never managed to play a lot of the well-known japanese fangames like 2kki. i'll try again one of these days
that's literally me... i found the game in 7th as well and obsessed over it.

Some memories i have of the game are:

running like hell in the guillotine world
chilling with masada
watching gobou
recoiling at the jumpscare when the Aztec Rave Monkey appeared
(then vibed to the tunes)
screamed when i saw uboa
found FACE
oyasumi'd

what a great game...

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
i'm gonna elaborate beyond "yume nikki mentioned" lol. i first played yn all the way through when i was like, 12 (crazy to think i've been a yume nikki enjoyer for literally half my life now) and having baby's first mental health episode and it was pretty much what got me through 7th grade. i was very scared of being chased so i went out of my way to avoid angering the toriningen/avoid areas where i knew they were already angered, and i definitely needed walkthroughs/wikisurfing to finish the game in part because i was scared of getting chased 😭 i think i'm generally a little braver in video games now, and i'm long overdue for a yume nikki replay, so i've gotta play again sometime. it's definitely a game that benefits from taking it slow and exploring rather than rushing to the end, and i've always liked that it relies more on atmosphere than jumpscares for its horror

i was also really into the fangames, but i couldn't get a good chunk of them to work back in 2012-13 lol. .flow worked, and it was one of my favorites (i've gotta replay .flow too sometime...), and some western ones like the looking glass worked because i didn't have to work around them being made for japanese systems, but i never managed to play a lot of the well-known japanese fangames like 2kki. i'll try again one of these days
thank you for sharing this!

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Is Cave Story considered obscure? That game was everywhere when it came out. That was the indie game before the XBLA indie boom began.

Or am I just old?

Last edited:

Neko :D

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
She/He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-3356-5161-8137
AHA! About 5 or so years ago, my friend mentioned a game she thought I would like, but never got to playing it. She moved RIGHT WHEN I ACTUALLY WANTED TO PLAY IT but forgot the name of it. YUME NIKKI WAS THE GAME SHE MENTIONED. MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN CHANGED BECAUSE OF YOU! THANK YOU! I will definitely play it now that I remember what it was 😊😊

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
AHA! About 5 or so years ago, my friend mentioned a game she thought I would like, but never got to playing it. She moved RIGHT WHEN I ACTUALLY WANTED TO PLAY IT but forgot the name of it. YUME NIKKI WAS THE GAME SHE MENTIONED. MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN CHANGED BECAUSE OF YOU! THANK YOU! I will definitely play it now that I remember what it was 😊😊
np. remember to ask your other otaku friends about it lmao

OCTöHEAD

Senior Squid
Pronouns
any
Game older than me kek
obscure nowdays, but still have dedicated fans
cave story huh? <3 yeah it must be oold by now. I've played it on pc. we even had it on some kind of nintendo ds version too, not cartridge but download from the shop. I used to play it on lunch breaks~

DzNutsKong

Inkling Commander
Should mention here actually - if ANYONE wants to try a Mega Man game out, Nintendo Switch online currently has a bunch of GameBoy Mega Man games on it. The fifth one is super good, I hear the fourth one's great as well but there was a lot of slowdown the one time I played it. They're a bit slower than the main series but since I'd imagine most of you have NSO already to play Splatoon I'd suggest giving it a try.

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
got a love/hate relationship with megaman games. haha they're cool but too haaard. only managed to finish megaman x and 3. I was getting close on megaman zero though..
Should mention here actually - if ANYONE wants to try a Mega Man game out, Nintendo Switch online currently has a bunch of GameBoy Mega Man games on it. The fifth one is super good, I hear the fourth one's great as well but there was a lot of slowdown the one time I played it. They're a bit slower than the main series but since I'd imagine most of you have NSO already to play Splatoon I'd suggest giving it a try.
Play MM10 on dolphin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom