• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

any tips for getting to X?

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
i’ve been in S for a pretty long time now and every rank up battle I do I get matched up with high rank players on the other team. can anyone give me advice? (yes i take breaks and go outside. i also changed my weapon.)

KibryHouse

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4782-5986-0003
Look through your replays, and try to analyze what you do wrong and what you can do better. Another thing is trying to improve awareness, such as checking the map often, keep track of where enemies are and if their specials are ready, and coordinating with your team on when to take fights!

Dragonuto

Pro Squid
Community Ambassador
NNID
Dragonuto
X rank is a grind, that's really it. You just have to keep putting time into it and eventually you'll get there. playing Group Ranked battles can help you boost your awareness significantly & provides harder games a lot of the time, so that's a good way to work on your skills.

As much as it's 'frowned' upon using meta weapons can be a good way to push yourself over the edge too.

Might be a good idea to find a group through Squidboards to play with or infact even a team to join and look for scrims. Practice is your best bet here.

Hope this helps!

zyf_

Pro Squid
solo queue is funny because basically you are rewarded for taking large risks that pay off and then just holding the line and making sure no one on the other team ever makes a bigger play than you

admittedly if you want real help you should post replay codes or something but chances are you're either (a) running in and dying too much when you have no business being aggressive or (b) you're not taking enough risks to give your team real winning opportunities

i would highly recommend erring on the side of (a) and then just don't repeat things that don't work until you find a healthy balance, but in solo you have to take real risks and basically be the reason your team wins by making at least 1 big play if you wanna get better/win more

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Watch top level players! Hop in on twitch streams from top players who use your weapons. Find youtube videos of top level gameplay. Think about what they are doing differently than you. What parts of the map are they going to and when? How do they use their special? Watch better players and ask questions!

zyf_

Pro Squid
Watch top level players! Hop in on twitch streams from top players who use your weapons. Find youtube videos of top level gameplay. Think about what they are doing differently than you. What parts of the map are they going to and when? How do they use their special? Watch better players and ask questions!
holy fk its marsel

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
i’ve been in S for a pretty long time now and every rank up battle I do I get matched up with high rank players on the other team. can anyone give me advice? (yes i take breaks and go outside. i also changed my weapon.)
I’m not gonna give you advice on the getting better part, but getting up to S+ is a game. The game does an unknown weighting to both your letter rank and internal MMR. The way it appears to work is that when you do a rank-up game, it keeps your MMR the same but ups your letter rank by one rank. This means you’re going to end up in a pool where your own rating is vastly overinflated. If you want to get up, all you have to do is keep doing and losing rank-up battles so your MMR tanks, eventually you’ll get easier battles more akin to your skill level. It’s almost like a ship lock.

blu_aaa

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2473-2014-2344
Look through your replays, and try to analyze what you do wrong and what you can do better. Another thing is trying to improve awareness, such as checking the map often, keep track of where enemies are and if their specials are ready, and coordinating with your team on when to take fights!
^ literally this i can't say better advice

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
I’m not gonna give you advice on the getting better part, but getting up to S+ is a game. The game does an unknown weighting to both your letter rank and internal MMR. The way it appears to work is that when you do a rank-up game, it keeps your MMR the same but ups your letter rank by one rank. This means you’re going to end up in a pool where your own rating is vastly overinflated. If you want to get up, all you have to do is keep doing and losing rank-up battles so your MMR tanks, eventually you’ll get easier battles more akin to your skill level. It’s almost like a ship lock.
I never knew about that. tysm

Corvidae

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-8464-6511
Why’d you change your weapon, what was I’d and why’d you change?

also, if you want a good resource on improving I’d recommend the squid school “how to get out of” series. I play competitively and rewatch them every now and then. They have very important information about awareness, goal setting, and playing specific modes. I’d also greatly recommend to actually go watch the FLC videos he talks about.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
Why’d you change your weapon, what was I’d and why’d you change?

also, if you want a good resource on improving I’d recommend the squid school “how to get out of” series. I play competitively and rewatch them every now and then. They have very important information about awareness, goal setting, and playing specific modes. I’d also greatly recommend to actually go watch the FLC videos he talks about.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
I changed my weapon because I’ve heard a lot of high-ranking players suggest that you revolve around several different weapons to help you build more skill

zyf_

Pro Squid
I changed my weapon because I’ve heard a lot of high-ranking players suggest that you revolve around several different weapons to help you build more skill
if you wanna climb ranks you don't strictly need to pick a meta weapon but you'll learn a lot slower if you're trying to use a bunch of weapons at once

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
if you wanna climb ranks you don't strictly need to pick a meta weapon but you'll learn a lot slower if you're trying to use a bunch of weapons at once
well im using Stamper currently.. idk if thats meta

Dari

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2230-6009-2248
Changing the weapon might not be the call if you normally feel confident with it. Just try to relax and focus, but like hard focus. Try to play more strategically & try out playing more stealthy and use more flanks. In Solo Gameplay, you need to play as if your mates don´t exist so try to get some good picks and immediately push the objective afterwards! Oh and for rank-ups i highly recommend you to wait for a rotation where you are comfortable with both the mode and the maps, as these can also be a relevant factor to your success. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom