• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anyone Else Getting Sent on Losing Streaks All of a Sudden?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Blame the new ranked system. You only need roughly a 25%-33% winrate to just maintain, which leads to players getting stuck in ranks way too high for their actual skill level. This is no fun for anyone as it'll just lead to more <1min stomps, which is why nintendo sort of fixed it in later patches (S+ and X, which now work vastly different than before) which now work a little bit more accurately.

This only benefits the memers of "I'm B- but i'm really S+ but i haven't gotten there because my teammates suck", people who're looking for an easy reward without putting any effort in.

techton

Senior Squid
The matchmaking isn't the best but you aren't genuinely convinced the dominant factor in your lack of progress is the matchmaking right?
Not really the "dominant" factor. I do, however, feel that most (I'd say around 60%) of my losses are because of the matchmaking and overall bad luck. I'm fully aware that I could be doing something a little better.
Even though it seems like I'm lazy and exaggerating, I really do try my best whether or not my team and I are losing.

Anyway, I'll try Ranked again and use a few tactics I've heard from around the internet, such as sticking to 1 weapon because I switch weapons frequently if I'm not doing well with ones I'm currently running, and taking frequent breaks if I get mad at something.

OctoKid

Inkling
Honestly, getting past A+ is a huge pain. I'm not terrible at the game but an unfortunate series of events saw me lose my S+ in Splat Zones and I was careless in S, and managed to de-rank to A+... from there, I seriously went all the way down to A- due to all the randomness, before climbing up again. Once you reach S, the matches are more balanced, and S+ is fairly reasonable. The higher ranks of S+ feel very balanced. X is kind of scary.

My tips would be: set yourself a limit whereby you'll stop if you, say, get two cracks in a session. Also, if you really dislike the players you are with, step out of the lobby for a while and try to get matched with another group. Pay attention to the power level of the game. If you're matched against people who are obviously better, well, you get serious rewards if you beat them and the meter is not really affected if you lose, so what do you prefer - fight it out with all your might or throw the dice again for another set of players? Sometimes consistency is nice, even if it feels one-sided.

As for weapons, some are better for some modes. What are you swapping between? It's useful to understand and make the most of whatever range you have, and that's hard to do if you keep changing them. Pay attention to equipment, too. Does the stage have lots of non-inkable walkways? Run Speed Up. Does the mode mean being caught in enemy ink lots? Ink Resistance Up. Etc. Vary your clothes based on the individual stages and if you die, think, what caused that? Lack of ink? Ink Saver Main. Etc.

Finally, it might sound silly but actually set yourself a goal during the game and carry it out, and vary it if the circumstances change. If you want to achieve one specific thing, it helps you focus. But you can get mired in a losing situation if you don't adapt.

Keep going and good luck! I remember the feeling when I finally reached S+ for the first time. Then they put X there just to tease me ;-) But I made it.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
If you get losing streak, that mean you need to learn. Step back and get better.

If you believe you get bad teams, chances are you're the problem.

OctoKid

Inkling
I disagree. Of course people can have losing streaks by chance through matchmaking.

If you're playing with people who genuinely don't know how to make the most of any opportunities you create, it is awful. But if you play with good people then it can be like a dream.

Splatoon doesn't let you choose your team-mates in Ranked. If you think that you are the only person who matters in a 4 vs 4 march, I'd be asking why you're not Rank X for all modes as a minimum.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
matchmaking in this game is sooooooooo unfair,ok sure i am not a star elite player,but i am not the worst who needs to be carried either,

but the matchmaking makes it super impossible for me to get out of A rank,i mean i had a huge losing streak with SZ last week and went from A+ back to A and then in the same week i had a huge winning streak as well making me go back to A+ rank again,it goes back and forth for me like that ALOT x.x ,after alot of effort and luck with being paired up with really good players i was able to get in S rank with TC but i haven't touched TC ever since..because i do not want to take the risk of de ranking in TC just yet because i like having the S as my highest rank T~T

i noticed that knowing how a mode works is not enough,it really depends on who you are paired up with ^^'' i remember in some matches i did so well and created possibilities for my team to push and get the lead but then my team is no where to be found or are doing something completely different...*siiiiiigh*

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I disagree. Of course people can have losing streaks by chance through matchmaking.

If you're playing with people who genuinely don't know how to make the most of any opportunities you create, it is awful. But if you play with good people then it can be like a dream.

Splatoon doesn't let you choose your team-mates in Ranked. If you think that you are the only person who matters in a 4 vs 4 march, I'd be asking why you're not Rank X for all modes as a minimum.
This is true and not true at the same time.

I've had this issue where I keep going between S+9 and X in several modes due to some unceasing losing streaks. It's aggravating because I'm usually the best player on my team in these games.

Clearly, better teammates would help me win more, but the fact is that plenty of people in this game not only manage to win enough to not only avoid deranking but get very high power levels in X. So my takeaway is that I have to play better to deserve a consistent place in X.

There are plenty of things I'm still learning even well over 1000 hours into this game... And most of that involves trying to do things to help make my teammates better even when I can't communicate with them over VC. Aside from pure skill, this is a mental part of the game good ranked players have mastered.

No matter how bad any of teammates can be, and they definitely can be bad, plenty of people are winning despite these bad teammates, so get better at the game.

I'll add to this that many players from A through S+ (and even a bit in X) put up good stats by staying back and getting as many specials as they can per match, using them regardless of situations. This does nothing to help anyone. Specials should be used to push or defend, the implication there being that when you use the special, you're timing it to help your team AND there's a follow up where you attempt to push.

What a lot of players think is "good play" or "carrying" using these tactics is really just forcing your team to basically play without you. I don't know if that's anyone's case in this thread, but everyone needs to think more about how and when they use specials.

Similarly, many players spend an entire game sharking and get a good K/D but also aren't helping in any meaningful way.

Everyone should be spending every moment of the game asking themselves what they can do to best help their teammates secure a win. They should not be asking themselves what they can do to get the best K/D ratio like that's the end all be all.

heyitschad

Inkling
NNID
scuzyxzero
Switch Friend Code
SW-2554-9598-1105
I am new to ranked, still in the B’s on everything. However, I have agree with @Serkkiit and @Spaceswitchmars, that it is an opportunity to learn. Where I am making the most progress is when I pay attention to what everyone else is doing and not just me. Unless I get splatted then I try to think of what I could have done different. If you think your teammates are bad then babysit them. Maybe not the whole time but if you can keep someone alive by taking out someone who is trying to hit them because they are an easy target then you may have just turn the tide. There are going to be times when by the roll of the dice you are going to get your butt handed to you. Could be disconnects it could be the other team is much better. I try to look at the matches where I either win or loose by a large margin and try to learn from that. I am slowly trying out different weapons and strategies that I see other teams use to see if they work for me. As of now I am slowly moving up.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I am new to ranked, still in the B’s on everything. However, I have agree with @Serkkiit and @Spaceswitchmars, that it is an opportunity to learn. Where I am making the most progress is when I pay attention to what everyone else is doing and not just me. Unless I get splatted then I try to think of what I could have done different. If you think your teammates are bad then babysit them. Maybe not the whole time but if you can keep someone alive by taking out someone who is trying to hit them because they are an easy target then you may have just turn the tide. There are going to be times when by the roll of the dice you are going to get your butt handed to you. Could be disconnects it could be the other team is much better. I try to look at the matches where I either win or loose by a large margin and try to learn from that. I am slowly trying out different weapons and strategies that I see other teams use to see if they work for me. As of now I am slowly moving up.
If you're already doing this in Bs, you'll do well. This is the very thing some of the best competitive players preach, and it's one of the few things in this game that literally everyone can do regardless of skill.

SmokyWreck

As Spaceswitchmars said, it's honestly good. A lot of the time, players don't develop this thinking of caring about their teampals. That's where losing streak actually come from. Lost can't be prevented, however if you constantly lose, there is CLEARLY a problem and not taking care of your team tend to be one of them. Another of them is letting your emotions get the best of you.

Sometimes, you will get players that throw the game, but I've experienced many moment where I was in a disadvantage and still won a knockout. Exemple, I once was in a 2 VS 4 on rainmaker. Me and the other player didn't give up, we simply had this silent moment of; "The ennemy will go after the rainmaker." And I knew I was really good with the rainmaker, so I grabbed it and my teampal want a different route to take the ennemy by surprise while I also kept him defended through shooting over obstacles. Need less to say, we won with a knock out. We wouldn't have won so easily if I didn't trust them and if we didn't both look out for eachothers. In S+ matches, I had moment where one of my team pals would stop playing, but me and the 2 other didn't and eventualy pushed back the ennemies. Once we got control on the zone, our fourth member started playing again and behold, a perfect knockout.

So really, it all come down to not giving up and putting that extras care. The higher your rank goes up, the less you need to watch over your teampals, but in all seriousness you should always keep an eyes on them when you can breath. What you're doing is really good all ready and I'm sure you will be one of these really good X ranked player, the one that when you have on your team, you know you can strive a winning round. Keep going, you're doing great so far!

ToonyBirb

Inkling
I agree, the ranked system should probably be examined, but for the time being, I've gotten in the habit of using dualies or other options that have high mobility and aggressive play styles that can still support the team. This means that you can help your team contest towers, zones, etc. and also provide options if you're not doing so well. For example, I use the dapple dualies to place beacons so team carriers can get back in the action quickly and allowing for quick sweeps if necessary. Anything that can make you a dangerous piece on the gameboard is really the best thing when going in with randoms.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
As Spaceswitchmars said, it's honestly good. A lot of the time, players don't develop this thinking of caring about their teampals.
Yup, yup, yup. I agree with your agreement of me, hahaha.

I always think of this tweet from Fuzzy (an extremely good competitive Splatoon player):

If one of the best players in the entire world thinks this, who am I to think I'm good enough not to follow this advice?

SmokyWreck

Yup, yup, yup. I agree with your agreement of me, hahaha.

I always think of this tweet from Fuzzy (an extremely good competitive Splatoon player):

If one of the best players in the entire world thinks this, who am I to think I'm good enough not to follow this advice?
What strike me about this is that, 1V1 are fun, but winning or losing them doesn't mean you're good or better. That's a thing people gotta still understand. You could 1V1 one of the BEST splatoon player and you still have a 50% chance of winning because there is nothing but you and that other player, odds are in everyone's favor as much as it can be heavily unfair. I mean, 1V1 doesn't improve your rank, levels or even up your gears. So it's only entertainment at that point. Lmao.

Mr Hemulen

Inkster Jr.
What strike me about this is that, 1V1 are fun, but winning or losing them doesn't mean you're good or better. That's a thing people gotta still understand. You could 1V1 one of the BEST splatoon player and you still have a 50% chance of winning because there is nothing but you and that other player, odds are in everyone's favor as much as it can be heavily unfair. I mean, 1V1 doesn't improve your rank, levels or even up your gears. So it's only entertainment at that point. Lmao.
I don't think you have understood that quote. He isn't talking about 1v1 private battles. He is talking about 1v1 scenarios within a match (so winning them does get you something if it contributes to winning the game). What he is suggesting is that great players don't engage unless they have a clear advantage.

Regardless, your performance in a 1v1 is indeed an indicator of your skill, or at least certain aspects of it and your chances of winning are not 50:50 unless your skill level is essentially the same. Using your example of coming up against one of the best players your chance of winning is likely to be far below 50% unless you, yourself, are one of the best players. Think in terms of a fighting game, by your reasoning they may as well not bother with Street Fighter tourneys and instead just have a coin flipping tourneys.

uhhhhhhhh

Inkster Jr.
I feel like whenever I eat a crusty Sean ticket, I got on massive lose streaks... I wonder if it’s just bad luck or if I’m thinking too hard on it?

Or are there hidden stats that it ‘balances’ you out with?

pinky

Ayah ! Less go!
NNID
tippytrippy
Switch Friend Code
SW-3726-9968-4765
Yeah it gets annoying , i feel like my game play has gotten worse , :3

SmokyWreck

I don't think you have understood that quote. He isn't talking about 1v1 private battles. He is talking about 1v1 scenarios within a match (so winning them does get you something if it contributes to winning the game). What he is suggesting is that great players don't engage unless they have a clear advantage.

Regardless, your performance in a 1v1 is indeed an indicator of your skill, or at least certain aspects of it and your chances of winning are not 50:50 unless your skill level is essentially the same. Using your example of coming up against one of the best players your chance of winning is likely to be far below 50% unless you, yourself, are one of the best players. Think in terms of a fighting game, by your reasoning they may as well not bother with Street Fighter tourneys and instead just have a coin flipping tourneys.
Does it look like I care? No. Because I'm talking about splatoon, not street fighter or other games of the likes. Saying that I might as well say people shouldn't bother with 1VS1 games is pointless since they are not the same games. But hey, have fun taking things how you want to take them ya know.

RM_Delta

Inkling
NNID
KingDrobot
Switch Friend Code
SW-3658-6288-6779
i'm used to playing with the splat roller on handheld mode.
now that my joy-cons are broken again, im using the pro on the tv.
my S+ meter is getting too many cracks! HELP!

OctoKid

Inkling
I agree with most of what's said here: too many players go around killing randomly without advancing the goal, and the real skill is in knowing how to achieve the goal as a team. You need to be able to trust your team-mates, but you can't choose them, and you can't communicate much.

If anyone thinks that I'm saying that the only limiting factor stopping someone who is A+ becoming S+ or X is matchmaking, of course I'm not. But there is a great deal of randomness, in particular, in the A ranks and although it starts to disappear later on, it hasn't entirely for me yet, in low Rank X. So keep pushing, get out of the A ranks, and you'll get a lot more enjoyment from the game and of course can then improve your own tactics and team contribution in a better environment, but even then, you'll have bad matches now and again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom