Anyone else have unwinnable battles?

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I keep having these problems where I'm winning and then next round, we get owned so badly that we can't leave our respawn point. I don't know how to win these kind of battles. I mean, I'm almost always 1st in my team (with a rare 2nd), so I must be doing something right. However, I don't know how these guys keep closing in on us. I can get one guy who sneaks into our area, but when there's like 3 guys in 3 different places, and my team doesn't know there's enemies spraying ink on our side, it becomes an disaster.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Sometimes you can just be outmatched in terms of what weapons the other team has. For example, you could get a team of 3 SSJRs and a kraken roller, while the other team with one SSJR and 3 other weapons of better diversity and range such as the .96, dynamo, or dual squelch. Sadly there isn't too much you can do about that and you're all just kinda set up to get picked off from afar

Other than that, generic tip would be to try and be a team player, if you have a bubble as SSJR, try to be near some teammates when you activate it, cover for your teammates if they seem like they might get overwhelmed, etc.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
When that happens to me instead of rushing to get a kill I do one of these:
Watch the map and try to find a way out, sneaking past the enemies or just skidjumping as far as I can. If someone follows you that´s one less enemy that will try to stop your allies, if no one follows you you can start spamming "Here!" to your teammates so the can jump to you.

Stay in the safe zone and try to take them out from there. Sometimes enemies get too close and neglect that you have a barrier. It works best when I´m using the Elite 3K as I can get them even if they are far.

Wait when I respawn and team with someone, just follow him shooting over him. If your teammate focuses on one single enemy it can work, however you depend totally on the other guy choosing the correct way to go. If he tries to break through the middle you will both become an easy target for the enemies.

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
I think one of the worst feelings is when you face two people and you kill them both and then the other two come out of no where and you die a terrible death. Meanwhile you're screaming; 'WHERES MY TEAMMM???'

ssupermario92

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ssupermario92
I think one of the worst feelings is when you face two people and you kill them both and then the other two come out of no where and you die a terrible death. Meanwhile you're screaming; 'WHERES MY TEAMMM???'
it's worse when you manage to wipe the enemy team and your damn team doesn't capitalize on it, especially when it could potential win you the game.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Regular battles and matchmaking in general are so bad that this is BOUND to happen. In my earlier levels I'd get paired up with few level 10s -15s and face off against level 20s who have armor with 3 abilities and the much better weapons like the Aerospray RG etc.

If you're lucky, they can be garbage, but if they're even the slightest on equal level as you are, then they'll steam roll you with incredible supers, fast weapons, and great armor. So goes the life of playing multiplayer Nintendo games.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Thanks for the responses. I notice that the teams are unbalanced with the levels and weapons. It seems most of the time this happens is when I get teamed up with level 1-5 who just started the game with Splattershot Jr. (they get 200-500 points at the end when I usually get 1400 points) and the enemy team gets level 15-20 with a balanced set of weapons...
I'm level 15, and close to level 16, I wish the game would balance at least the levels so that the levels would be separate (level 1-5, 6-10, 11-14, 15-20) it would make it less one sided.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
This snowballing effect happens when one team outclasses the other by a significant margin. It happens a lot in turf wars, but can also happen in ranked if there is an unfortunate mismatch in skill or team weapon composition.

IxaVerse

Senior Squid
NNID
Uselessguy12
I just had a match where I was paired up with level 3-5s and the other team was level 6+ all equipped with rollers. I managed to take over the other teams base pretty quickly but my team would shoot every tiny piece of land that they saw while the other team was using the cheap hide and attack or go on the truck and spam the ink splat tactic. My teammates got absolutely demolished as they couldn't past through the hiding rollers. We only got 20% of the map... But at least I got 800 points.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
The current problems with ranked battles is that luck is a very important factor, so you can get a really bad team or bad combinations of weapons between the members of a team, which leads so lose the battle. The game will be way better when you can pick the team of your choice, so you can build up strategies and organization with your own team, which is awesome for competitive gameplay.

It's annoying when you are doing a good job, learning from your past mistakes, you even kill 2-3 or even the 4 players, but your teammates don't understand the mechanics of the game and they are just doing random stuff.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I keep having these problems where I'm winning and then next round, we get owned so badly that we can't leave our respawn point. I don't know how to win these kind of battles. I mean, I'm almost always 1st in my team (with a rare 2nd), so I must be doing something right. However, I don't know how these guys keep closing in on us. I can get one guy who sneaks into our area, but when there's like 3 guys in 3 different places, and my team doesn't know there's enemies spraying ink on our side, it becomes an disaster.
Worst feeling in the world is when your team's two paintbrushes, a roller, and you with the only ranged weapon, all into a 4-shooter composition. Not enough deterrence fire to give the roller space to breathe. Paintbrushes outranged by friggin Aerosprays help nada. I can only do so much with a Splat Wall and Killer Wail.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
In regular battle this sort of scenario happens to me more often than I'd like, but I can usually find a way to "break" the enemy siege. Correojon hit the nail on the head with his post in my opinion. If you're fighting a super aggressive team that has you pinned down, flanking is usually the best option. Although it really depends on what weapons both teams have. If your team has only rollers and chargers and the enemy has a variety of splattershots, it's going to be hard to break free.
What sort of weapons do you normally use? I've found that in regular battle the splattershot jr and aerospray mg can almost always get first on the team, but they need a good support weapon covering them to really win. I tend to stick with the jet squelcher or splattershot pro, which lets me outrange most of the players using the shorter range weapons and camp them out.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I spawned into a Turf War yesterday with 3 guys. Not 3 guys and myself, just 3 in total.
The other team had 4 guys, crushed us like especially fragile gapes and held 71% of the map at the end.
It felt pretty unwinnable.
Also, any time I'm at the enemy base, look at the minimap and see that they're doing a much better job of inking up my base that I am theirs. I don't know whether I should go back to my side (leaving their territory for them to re-cover) or keep going (not that great an idea, since I'm generally using the .52 Gal Deco and it doesn't ink that quickly), and the indecision usually leads to getting splatted in the last 10-30 seconds of the match while I think about it and being rendered incapable of doing anything significant, so it seems like I should just resign myself to a loss. Maybe not unwinnable, but it certainly feels that way sometimes.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
When I'm on a fantastic team in Ranked, and then I get the rotation of the two lowest scoring members on the opposing team.

It literally kills my morale because I know I'll have to try a whole lot harder to make the Win a reality.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I spawned into a Turf War yesterday with 3 guys. Not 3 guys and myself, just 3 in total.
The other team had 4 guys, crushed us like especially fragile gapes and held 71% of the map at the end.
It felt pretty unwinnable.
Also, any time I'm at the enemy base, look at the minimap and see that they're doing a much better job of inking up my base that I am theirs. I don't know whether I should go back to my side (leaving their territory for them to re-cover) or keep going (not that great an idea, since I'm generally using the .52 Gal Deco and it doesn't ink that quickly), and the indecision usually leads to getting splatted in the last 10-30 seconds of the match while I think about it and being rendered incapable of doing anything significant, so it seems like I should just resign myself to a loss. Maybe not unwinnable, but it certainly feels that way sometimes.
I've been on both sides of that situation actually, it sucks. I always aim to be behind the enemy lines in one way or another, but never right at their base. My opinion is, if I'm within the enemy area and they're getting my base, then I just keep doing what I'm doing, because it'll help to balance out and my team has more options with me over there. Even if I'm not getting as much ink as the enemy, a teammate will probably come to me and help out at some point, so I just keep on keeping on.
You can provide way more for your team when the enemy is all over your base simply by not being at your base, since teammates can jump to you and not be camped. Now if you've inked the entire enemy area and your teammates are all jumping to you, then you should totally go back and take out the campers on your side. I hope that makes sense.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I've been on both sides of that situation actually, it sucks. I always aim to be behind the enemy lines in one way or another, but never right at their base. My opinion is, if I'm within the enemy area and they're getting my base, then I just keep doing what I'm doing, because it'll help to balance out and my team has more options with me over there. Even if I'm not getting as much ink as the enemy, a teammate will probably come to me and help out at some point, so I just keep on keeping on.
You can provide way more for your team when the enemy is all over your base simply by not being at your base, since teammates can jump to you and not be camped. Now if you've inked the entire enemy area and your teammates are all jumping to you, then you should totally go back and take out the campers on your side. I hope that makes sense.
Ah, good to know.
But what should I do if I think they're about to come out of their base? Yeah, I can beat one guy, but when they get a 2v1 or up I get screwed, and if my team's jumping into a killbox, that doesn't do anyone any good (except the other team, they get quite a bit to take whatever they can reach).

Lenrap

Inkling
I once had a match similar to this. But, instead of bad teammates, I had NO teammates. The match became so helpless that I was forced to stay in the spawn barrier for the second half of the match...

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I once had a team that sat around in a Splat Zone we had captured in Port Mackerel while I alone made the push to capture the other zone.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Ah, good to know.
But what should I do if I think they're about to come out of their base? Yeah, I can beat one guy, but when they get a 2v1 or up I get screwed, and if my team's jumping into a killbox, that doesn't do anyone any good (except the other team, they get quite a bit to take whatever they can reach).
Yeah, it's really situational and depends from map to map, but I try to never go right up at the enemy base myself, unless it's the final 10 seconds or something. If I'm intentionally acting as a spawnpoint for my team/playing a support role, I'll try to camp in spots that are more in the center of the map but have a good view of the enemy base. The best example for this to me is the raised up area on Blackbelly Skatepark that's down the side path with the half pipes. From there you can see the center platform people love to camp on(and also kill people up there with certain weapons) and you can also deny the enemy the ability to flank from that path. It's also a great spawn spot for teammates because they can easily get all over the map from there. Most maps have spots like this, such as the raised up towers on Saltspray Rig, or the 4 platforms up around the center area on Arowana Mall.

Anyway, when you're in that situation where you're at the enemy base and enemies are spawning, in my experience it's always best to back away and give yourself some breathing room. Chances are, there's some spot in the middle of the map or a little further away that you can paint while they flow out of the base. While you're doing that teammates can safely get to you and deal with the enemies. I used to use the .52 decal, so I know it has okay range and can fill the support role pretty well. You should be able to cover your teammates as they arrive, or even just take out the enemies if you feel like you have an advantage. It does always depend on the situation and your weapon though. If you have the roller for example, you can just hide in your ink and ambush the enemy as they flow out.

But the short of it is, if you're at the enemy base and you see enemies spawning, back away and try to deal with them from a vantage point once they're out in the open. Dying costs your team time and points in the end, so long as you're painting something you're better off than you were trying to fight them at their base and dying for it.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah, it's really situational and depends from map to map, but I try to never go right up at the enemy base myself, unless it's the final 10 seconds or something.
Yeah, me too, but sometimes it's so tempting to go ink their undefended spawn point (at least I think it's undefended, sometimes I get proven wrong quickly), especially on Blackbelly (it's so easy to just walk through the center, drop some ink on their side, and return if it looks like I'm in too deep), Underpass (usually when we hold the center in Turf Wars (not Splat Zones, center is too important there to even consider going that far in), I start inking up their area; sometimes I go for their corridor, usually I just go left through the fence and try my luck getting up the ramps), Arowana (only when we're winning, but I always do so well in infiltrating their side (probably because they'reall on mine thinking the same thing, but still)), and Mackerel (Seekers make it so easy to go a long way into enemy territory and ink it, since they have to get out of the way, but it's not so great for escaping).
It's more difficult on Saltspray (I don't think you CAN ink their base without a charger of something, but it's too frantic to say any side is definitively ours or theirs) and Walleye (it's actually really easy here, but I almost always go back to deal with people by our spawn point on this map; why that only happens here, I'll never know), at least for me, but it's certainly a good idea to stay near the center. I've been trying to do that lately (mostly through playing Ranked more).

If I'm intentionally acting as a spawnpoint for my team/playing a support role, I'll try to camp in spots that are more in the center of the map but have a good view of the enemy base. The best example for this to me is the raised up area on Blackbelly Skatepark that's down the side path with the half pipes. From there you can see the center platform people love to camp on(and also kill people up there with certain weapons) and you can also deny the enemy the ability to flank from that path.
I know that spot! I've seen people on that spot more often lately, I should try it.

It's also a great spawn spot for teammates because they can easily get all over the map from there. Most maps have spots like this, such as the raised up towers on Saltspray Rig, or the 4 platforms up around the center area on Arowana Mall.
Yeah, I see people on those all the time in Ranked (and try to flank them, with varying results).
On the subject of good super-jump points, on Blackbelly, would the center platform or one of the little square areas off to the sides be better to super-jump to? I only ask because both seem good (center platform is a good vantage point if your team has it, but you can flank the center from those side areas.

Anyway, when you're in that situation where you're at the enemy base and enemies are spawning, in my experience it's always best to back away and give yourself some breathing room. Chances are, there's some spot in the middle of the map or a little further away that you can paint while they flow out of the base. While you're doing that teammates can safely get to you and deal with the enemies. I used to use the .52 decal, so I know it has okay range and can fill the support role pretty well. You should be able to cover your teammates as they arrive, or even just take out the enemies if you feel like you have an advantage. It does always depend on the situation and your weapon though. If you have the roller for example, you can just hide in your ink and ambush the enemy as they flow out.
Yeah, I've been doing that more lately. I used to just stand there and try to splat them again (and fail, of course), but now I at least attempt to back off (most of the time; if I think I'll win, I stick around).

But the short of it is, if you're at the enemy base and you see enemies spawning, back away and try to deal with them from a vantage point once they're out in the open. Dying costs your team time and points in the end, so long as you're painting something you're better off than you were trying to fight them at their base and dying for it.
Took me a while, but I've finally figured this out. Thanks, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom