• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are Brushes that bad?

Xeiros

Senior Squid
Fun Fact: The Octobrush Nouveau will be the only weapon set with that particular sub and special combo for the foreseeable future.

Pitero

Inkling
Okay, so;

On my way to S as Octobrush (exclusively) I've seen maybe 1 or 2 decent Inkbrush users who actually knew how to hide and when to strike. I really respect them - having the lowest range in the game hurts a lot.

Octobrush Nouveau? It might solve the problem on certain stages (Arowana and snipers, ugh), but definetly won't replace the vanilla. Kraken is just godly sometimes if used correctly - you can easily break into the opponents field which is essential - from that point you can just wipe people as they come.

Brushes ARE hard, but surely viable (On every mode, not only SZ). It takes a lot of effort to make it work - patience, planning on every map, reflex, and so on :)

Cheers to all you assasins - don't give up and don't let others tell you that your weapon is ****. Master it and show them how it's done ;)

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Cheers to all you assasins - don't give up and don't let others tell you that your weapon is ****. Master it and show them how it's done ;)
Cheers! *raises glass*

I used to use vanilla inkbrush not because it was good but because I loved the way you just fling paint around. I then learned the a good way to use it, but of course it's still the brush and so can't carry. It's a support, very rarely was I able to carry the team.

The octobrush is rly amazing in comparison as it almost doubles the power and doubles the range, which if you got good with the inkbrush is all you need.
I agree with a lot of people, you aren't a regular weapon where you can shoot and lay ink then use that to give yourself and squad the advantage of territory. As a brush assasin is literally the best mindset to put yourself in. You can and should lay ink to help your squad but you have to be SUPER attentative. If you give away your position while an opponent is nearby you just lost your life.

nother assasin tip: you almost NEVER want to attack a person from in front of them or even diagonally in front of them. Best way is to get behind them and catch them off guard.

I use the kraken as a panic button and nothing more. Should your attack fail you will need your kraken to give you the extra distance to take out the person. If you played correctly you are already really close to your opponent and should have no problem tracking him with the kraken.

Enjoy the assassin class :D it's a lot of fun, but competitively I wouldn't be exclusive to it

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Cheers! *raises glass*

I used to use vanilla inkbrush not because it was good but because I loved the way you just fling paint around. I then learned the a good way to use it, but of course it's still the brush and so can't carry. It's a support, very rarely was I able to carry the team.

The octobrush is rly amazing in comparison as it almost doubles the power and doubles the range, which if you got good with the inkbrush is all you need.
I agree with a lot of people, you aren't a regular weapon where you can shoot and lay ink then use that to give yourself and squad the advantage of territory. As a brush assasin is literally the best mindset to put yourself in. You can and should lay ink to help your squad but you have to be SUPER attentative. If you give away your position while an opponent is nearby you just lost your life.

nother assasin tip: you almost NEVER want to attack a person from in front of them or even diagonally in front of them. Best way is to get behind them and catch them off guard.

I use the kraken as a panic button and nothing more. Should your attack fail you will need your kraken to give you the extra distance to take out the person. If you played correctly you are already really close to your opponent and should have no problem tracking him with the kraken.

Enjoy the assassin class :D it's a lot of fun, but competitively I wouldn't be exclusive to it
I agree with everything that Tortoise said. I cannot emphasize this enough: play like an assassin/ninja.

People who say the Inkbrushes are terrible just don't know how to play them correctly or has been paired with awful inbrush teammates.

Galaxeon

Inkling
Can't really tell much about the Inkbrushes, but I'm an Octobrush main user (S rank, if that really matters).

I agree with pretty much everything that was said above. To me the Octobrush is a good, above-average weapon and clearly to this date the best of its kind. It's true the Krak-on Roller is overall better but I wouldn't say it overshadows the Octobrush, since they're so different in styles and techniques. You really have to feel it to play the Octobrush and I think you can get high rewards if this weapon suits your playstyle (you have to be really sneaky and slippery indeed).

Now from my own experiment, I'd say Splat Zone is the best mode for Vanilla Octobrush, and it's good in Turf as well. This weapon can effectively support and has an amazing special. And if you know how to handle it, you can kill pretty much anything as long as you're not stupid enough to rush in front of Splattershots and Gal weapons.

Octobrush has only three flaws : range (no need to explain), corridors (Arowana and Docks are the only bad stages for the OBrush I believe), and tower control. Yeah I really think this weapon sucks for TC. You can't do anything when you're on the tower, you can't kill someone who's on the tower, "activate krakens on tower to keep moving forward" is really an overrated move since any decent charger or splattershot can and WILL push you (and you'll fall to death sometimes). The only thing you can do in most of TC maps is use your beacons and try to be a walking super jump beacon for you teamates when they die. That's pretty much it. Beacons. And being able to reappear near the ennemy spawn is not even that good since the tower moves slowly and most opponents will be next to it, it's best to use swim squid anyway.

I'd say the Octobrush is all about map control, which is why it's so good with Turf and Zone (and seems to be also good in Rainmaker*), but sucks in TC where most of the time, half of the map is eclipsed and nobody cares about your beacons in their spawn if they're in yours.

* (haven't tested a lot but in a mode that's all about being quick, surprise your opponents and moving as a team, there's no reason why Octobrush couldn't shine)

So definetly a pretty strong and unique weapon with a cool playstyle, but you have to know how to use it and to adapt your game according to the map and mode.

~~

Also, to talk a little about the Nouveau version, it seems to be very good. Like, really very good. It has two other weapons that give you everything the basic Octobrush lacks : a quick, better and long-range approach option (that requires less ink), a powerful long-range weapon... basically more ways to kill, more ways to bait the opponent, a way to deal with corridors, and the two most polyvalent (not to say the best...) sub and spe weapons. (plus it's a unique combinaison with a unique playstyle weapon, and that's why it's so good). And while looking better overall, it goes so well with the Vanilla version that the Vanilla will still be played a lot. Can't wait to play it.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Can't really tell much about the Inkbrushes, but I'm an Octobrush main user (S rank, if that really matters).

I agree with pretty much everything that was said above. To me the Octobrush is a good, above-average weapon and clearly to this date the best of its kind. It's true the Krak-on Roller is overall better but I wouldn't say it overshadows the Octobrush, since they're so different in styles and techniques. You really have to feel it to play the Octobrush and I think you can get high rewards if this weapon suits your playstyle (you have to be really sneaky and slippery indeed).

Now from my own experiment, I'd say Splat Zone is the best mode for Vanilla Octobrush, and it's good in Turf as well. This weapon can effectively support and has an amazing special. And if you know how to handle it, you can kill pretty much anything as long as you're not stupid enough to rush in front of Splattershots and Gal weapons.

Octobrush has only three flaws : range (no need to explain), corridors (Arowana and Docks are the only bad stages for the OBrush I believe), and tower control. Yeah I really think this weapon sucks for TC. You can't do anything when you're on the tower, you can't kill someone who's on the tower, "activate krakens on tower to keep moving forward" is really an overrated move since any decent charger or splattershot can and WILL push you (and you'll fall to death sometimes). The only thing you can do in most of TC maps is use your beacons and try to be a walking super jump beacon for you teamates when they die. That's pretty much it. Beacons. And being able to reappear near the ennemy spawn is not even that good since the tower moves slowly and most opponents will be next to it, it's best to use swim squid anyway.

I'd say the Octobrush is all about map control, which is why it's so good with Turf and Zone (and seems to be also good in Rainmaker*), but sucks in TC where most of the time, half of the map is eclipsed and nobody cares about your beacons in their spawn if they're in yours.

* (haven't tested a lot but in a mode that's all about being quick, surprise your opponents and moving as a team, there's no reason why Octobrush couldn't shine)

So definetly a pretty strong and unique weapon with a cool playstyle, but you have to know how to use it and to adapt your game according to the map and mode.

~~

Also, to talk a little about the Nouveau version, it seems to be very good. Like, really very good. It has two other weapons that give you everything the basic Octobrush lacks : a quick, better and long-range approach option (that requires less ink), a powerful long-range weapon... basically more ways to kill, more ways to bait the opponent, a way to deal with corridors, and the two most polyvalent (not to say the best...) sub and spe weapons. (plus it's a unique combinaison with a unique playstyle weapon, and that's why it's so good). And while looking better overall, it goes so well with the Vanilla version that the Vanilla will still be played a lot. Can't wait to play it.
Profile picture checks out ;)

pepto

Inkling
Ink Brush is pretty bad in Tower, but it has its uses. You can create a path to the tower very quickly, but from there you're pretty much at the mercy of how good your team is. What I typically do:

1. Create a path to the tower
2. Jump back to base, use sprinklers to spread ink everywhere and get my special ready
3. Use Inkstrike to help your teammates out

A good time to use Inkstrike is when your team is trying to take the tower, it removes all pressure on them to take it over, and lets them focus on guarding it. Granted, that leaves them in a 3v4 guarding the tower, but brushes in general are pretty bad in that mode, so you wouldn't have much to offer staying with them anyway. You can, however, harass the other team. Set up sprinklers everywhere, use yourself as bait, and take advantage of being the only one not focused on the tower by getting Inkstrike a lot.

Ink Brush is amazing in Zone though. You can set up quick paths to the zone, sprinklers can (on most maps) be placed in strategic areas that cover zones, or at least slow the enemy down, and it's the best weapon for setting up flanks, which are really really beneficial in Zone matches.

The only major disadvantage to brushes in general is you have to rely on your teammates, but if they know what they're doing, brushes are extremely useful.

Blobface

Inkster Jr.
NNID
everyone1
I've honestly found Tower Control to be my best mode with the Octobrush, so I'm surprised to hear other people have trouble with it.

When you're attacking someone on the tower, you can aim up to lob ink up onto the tower. It covers a good half of the tower with ink and will usually kill people who get caught in it. And if you do it right, I've found just plain jumping on the tower will work just fine. A lot of the times you can even jump onto the tower in a way that puts you behind the person and they won't have time to turn around before you kill them.

As for being on the Tower, the extra height allows you to ink a lot of ground, so if someone is trying to attack you, I've found jumping off the tower and using usual Brush tactics with all the ground you've now covered pretty effective, though you obviously run the risk of losing control of the tower. In addition, I'm continuously baffled at how rarely people check the sides of the tower (Only really works with tall towers though) even in A+ - S+ lobbies. There have been so many times where people have attacked me on the tower, I go down and hang on one of the sides, and kill them when they try to jump on. And lastly, if people try to climb on the tower while you're on it, you can just squid jump behind them when they climb up and they still won't have time to turn around.

The main things I have trouble with with the Octobrush are blasters and Splat Zones Port Mackerel. I find Blasters really hard to avoid and Port Mackerel is just ugh.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
I wouldn't say Krak-on Roller is better. It serves a more offensive role since the weapon packs more power, but the Octobrush is a better support weapon since it's faster. Which is why I think Beaken works better for the Octobrush then the Krak-on Roller, since disregarding any speed modifiers the Octobrush is still faster then a generic Roller both with movement and fire rate. The faster rate of fire also means that it's better at applying close range pressure, but for team slaughter the Krak-on Roller does the job better, though that doesn't mean the Octobrush is lacking in power either.

Kraken is good for both, and I can't think of a situation where one is better at using it then other other.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
people are gonna say that brushes are bad because of how they are used. the thing is nobody know what the hell they are doing with the brush, so they jump to conclusions.

Q: Now, is the brush an amazing weapon?
A:Only for up close confrontations and making players immobile.

Q:Can you have a solid team composition with and ink brush or and octo brush?
A:Highly depends on the mode and map, again you need to actually PLAY with the weapon enough to find that answer

Q: Should i play with the brush as aggressively as i do with a (tentatek)?
A: NO, its a defensive weapon, even at close range you can get done in. ink brushes are meant for surprise attacks if you want to use them aggresive like that. but besides that do whatever u feel like man

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Aggro brushes are about flanking and backstabbing attacks, misdirection, and outmanuvering opponents.

Mobility and positioning are so vital to Brush usage that map familiarity is vital to success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom