• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are there any completely unviable weapons?

CN-

Inkling
NNID
Caplain
Have you used a weapon that you thought was completely useless / a straight downgrade from a different weapon? Are there any weapons so good that not using them puts you at a disadvantage?

Personally, I think a lot of the blasters that aren't aerosprays or splattershot jrs are pretty useless. They don't do as much work and are pretty much ignored by more advanced players.

In regards to chargers and rollers, I don't think there are any that are inherently bad, although the krak-on roller seems less useful in a pub setting.

Sludge

Inkling
NNID
Sludgetoon
Saying the aerosprays or splattershot jr are the only viable blasters implies that close range blasters are the only good blasters. I have to say the regular jet squelcher sucks and it has the most range, so maybe you're onto something.

Splattershot jr. pro tho.

arny

Inkling
The Blaser and Rapid Blaster (shoot a ball of ink) seem really bad to me... they can kill people ok if you are accurate, but are very difficult to do well with

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
:D the rapid blaster seems very dumb to me. While the Blaster seems legit after playing games with it.The blaster is a 1 hit direct kill, 2 AOE. The rapid blaster takes twice as much hits to kill and it doesn't feel like it fires twice as fast. The aoe is also less, while the range sort of feels more, but I feel like that's because the aoe is less so it's a skinnier ink trail.

I had a game where I had 14/1 kills with the blaster and about 900 points end game. While it's pretty good, It's 200 points below my average with the aerospray

It's the only weapon I am just like, lol why bother. Some weapons just seem a lot harder to be good at. .96Gal and Splattershot pro come to mind. They have a very heavy ink consumption. But very long range and very powerful. Splattershot pro seems like it consumes more ink than the .96gal, but it also spreads more ink. The .96gal consumes less ink but spreads ink less effectively, though the .96gal dominates nearly every other gun in power. Only the blaster out powers it. But it has the range on blaster by a little bit, but not the aoe, so it may be a tie.

Those 2 guns seem a lot harder to use and probably more rewarding to use.

Larkeicus

Inkling
NNID
Larkeicus
I'd say perhaps yes...I use the Splattershot Pro now and my average per game is 900 though the last times I used it I won 4 times with 1000 or 1100 points...it does consume a lot of ink but it's well worth it and even more so with the inkstrike...on topic though I'd say the snipers are what I don't ever use because I feel they're somehow underpowered in terms of ink sprayed...perhaps thy covr more distance but not enough for wide spaces.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Chargers are far from being unviable. You need to see good charger players using these weapons. Personally, I will have to agree that the rapid blaster doesn't seem like a viable weapon. Perhaps it has its nice on the hands of a very skilled player, but for less experienced players there are quite a few better picks.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I really don't like the standard Splattershot, I personally think every other shooter class weapon has something better to offer.

Also I'm not really good with Blasters, but I feel it is a personal thing, I think they have potential.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I'd like to throw the dynamo roller under the bus as a bad weapon
its disadvantages heavily outweigh the positives

as much as I love sprinkler and echolocation
the loss in both speed on the initial attack and ground speed loss just make it feel bad
most matches I've used it. it seems to eat ink really quickly

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I'd like to throw the dynamo roller under the bus as a bad weapon
its disadvantages heavily outweigh the positives

as much as I love sprinkler and echolocation
the loss in both speed on the initial attack and ground speed loss just make it feel bad
most matches I've used it. it seems to eat ink really quickly
I wonder...

For roller I'm currently using a set that gives me:
Ink Saver Main / Sp. Duration Up - Swim Speed Up - Dmg Up
Ink Rec. Up / Ink Saver Main - Sp. Charge Up
Run Speed Up / Run Speed Up

On regular roller, it's crazy fun because you essentially have a quick moving roller that hardly ever runs out of ink. When I get around to getting the Dynamo, it could cancel some of its weaknesses a bit and make it kind of fun. Will report back.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
I'd say rapid blaster is probably the big stinker right now. For all the reasons outlined above. It's better at spreading ink than normal blaster, but can't kill for beans. It's the worst of both worlds.

Also yeah, Dynamo Roller is terrible, but... there's something stupidly fun about it, too. It feels like I'm driving a truck full of ink.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I wonder...

For roller I'm currently using a set that gives me:
Ink Saver Main / Sp. Duration Up - Swim Speed Up - Dmg Up
Ink Rec. Up / Ink Saver Main - Sp. Charge Up
Run Speed Up / Run Speed Up

On regular roller, it's crazy fun because you essentially have a quick moving roller that hardly ever runs out of ink. When I get around to getting the Dynamo, it could cancel some of its weaknesses a bit and make it kind of fun. Will report back.
run speed up is nice in theory, but I personally would want to abuse its range, the one thing it really has over a standard roller. I'd probably go damage to make that one swing worth it and defense so I don't get swamped by an aero spray while trying to swing

anyways tell me how your testing goes

Sludge

Inkling
NNID
Sludgetoon
It seems that the aerospray is a popular choice. Is it really that good? I know it over powers SSJRs but how does it fair v chargers?

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I can't stop playing 4x4 long enough to do story mode but I'm dying to try aerospray as 8/10 those weapons are the ones that will kill me. Once I hit level 20 (level 18 now) I will focus on story mode so I can get those weapons.

For the longest time I couldn't use any guns successfully haha. Rollers are my jam. However I got use to the .52 and .96 cal. I hate the E-liter 3K. I got my lowest score of 236 with it. It sucks up ALLL the ink even with 4 main savers on my gear. It was insane and costs a fortune to buy. Unless you are killer with chargers and your snipping skills are on point I don't see how people could be successful. Range is amazing though, I have seen a few people who were great at it.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
It seems that the aerospray is a popular choice. Is it really that good? I know it over powers SSJRs but how does it fair v chargers?
While I love the Aerospray RG, it gets outranged really easily by pretty much everything. It's a "points" weapon, mad at spraying ink and getting points but not so good at fighting (especially against elevated enemies) unless it's really close up. Depending on the million variables that go into a Turf War, the points-getting might not be enough if you're getting blown up by Dual Squelchers constantly.

I wouldn't say any weapon is bad. It all really depends on what you feel most comfortable with. I get pretty good results with both .52 Gals and Dual Squelchers, and only slightly better results with the RG (though I tend to lose a lot when using the latter). Others that I've played with have ran wild with Blasters (usually over me).

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
Aerospray is not a strong weapon when it comes to combat. It's a tad better than Splattershot jr. The speed is high enough and dmg is close enough + more accurate it trumps splattershot jr. Splatter shot will still outpower aerospray. Obviously the Gal series is exceptionally strong. Splatter shot pro is really good too in combat. I can't remember if the blue gun is called jet sprayer or something. The one with the farthest range is also pretty good.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
Haven't gotten the rapid blaster yet, so I dunno about its viability.

I will, however, say that the Jet Squelcher leaves me miserable.

Its range is fine. Being able to paint a platform from end to end is great. But its combat effectiveness leaves a LOT to be desired. It seems to have a niche as an area denial support with Splat Wall and Inkstrike, though, so I think it's more a contrast of my preferred play style and weapon than an actual critique against its competitive viability.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
it deletes everything in short range and it really is the best option for spreading ink (it should outscore everything on your team). giving you access to your special a lot more then you think.
It's range really is it's short coming and thank god. Well I would thank god if I didn't play rollers and die instantly to the thing (even with defense). Kind of the selling point of the kraken is being able the fight the aerospray

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'd like to point out that a well-played Dynamo Roller is pretty scary. My whole team got taken out in one swipe on the Underpass from a sneaky DR player. We never saw it coming until it was too late and a tidal wave of ink turned us into puddles. I think that player got 1400 or so at the end (we obviously lost)

Sludge

Inkling
NNID
Sludgetoon
I'd like to point out that a well-played Dynamo Roller is pretty scary. My whole team got taken out in one swipe on the Underpass from a sneaky DR player. We never saw it coming until it was too late and a tidal wave of ink turned us into puddles. I think that player got 1400 or so at the end (we obviously lost)
lol I remember the shock of being hit by the dynamo roller for the first time. Would like to see it over the Kracken more.

2xDair

Full Squid
NNID
Elecrogelion
Regarding the Splattershot, I can't think of a single reason why someone would use the "basic" version over the Tentatek variant. The burst bombs aren't very good (two hits to splat someone, really?) and the suction bombs can not only kill with a single hit, they stick to walls. The specials are mainly up to personal preference; the inkzooka will splat in one hit but the (burst) bomb rush can cover significantly more area, providing you aren't throwing all the bombs at the same spot. However, the inkzooka is probably the better of the two because the Splattershot naturally covers territory effectively by itself without any bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom