• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are there any completely unviable weapons?

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
All the underestimation of the Jet Squelcher :(

My favourite weapon. It completely dominates in narrow areas (Arrowana, Urchin and Port Mackerel especially) and is my favourite anti-sniper tool. It's no Aerospray when it comes to turf coverage, but I average 1000 points per win on Turf War just fine. The Spray Wall is fantastic for defence and Inkstrike is just fantastic all around. Nothing beats this weapon when it comes to infiltration of the enemy base either.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
All the underestimation of the Jet Squelcher :(

My favourite weapon. It completely dominates in narrow areas (Arrowana, Urchin and Port Mackerel especially) and is my favourite anti-sniper tool. It's no Aerospray when it comes to turf coverage, but I average 1000 points per win on Turf War just fine. The Spray Wall is fantastic for defence and Inkstrike is just fantastic all around. Nothing beats this weapon when it comes to infiltration of the enemy base either.
I tend to prefer the Dual Squelcher myself (and I don't find it does well on Port Mac due to lack of Splash Wall), but it really comes down to play style. The Squelchers are really good on Saltspray, too. Range is very important on that map.

I think the main idea behind most of our posts here is that no weapon is really useless, even the basic ones. They all have different uses depending on the map, the player, and the enemy players.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I tend to prefer the Dual Squelcher myself (and I don't find it does well on Port Mac due to lack of Splash Wall), but it really comes down to play style. The Squelchers are really good on Saltspray, too. Range is very important on that map.

I think the main idea behind most of our posts here is that no weapon is really useless, even the basic ones. They all have different uses depending on the map, the player, and the enemy players.
It's rather difficult to release a game with the number of weapons this game does and not have a weapon or two outclass some similar weapons.
While yes, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss certain weapons, we shouldn't come to another quick conclusion where everything is fine.
It all takes time to find these things

Remember there was a time when people said there was no clear over powered character in version 1.0.4 in smash. Despite everyone's favorite ninja princess and kong eventually taking the competitive scene

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
It's rather difficult to release a game with the number of weapons this game does and not have a weapon or two outclass some similar weapons.
While yes, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss certain weapons, we shouldn't come to another quick conclusion where everything is fine.
It all takes time to find these things

Remember there was a time when people said there was no clear over powered character in version 1.0.4 in smash. Despite everyone's favorite ninja princess and kong eventually taking the competitive scene
Should this situation arise, I imagine that the "continued support" the devs talked about will involve balancing. If Sakurai can do it, I imagine these young guns can.

Zethoro

Inkling
NNID
Zethor
Most of the weapons people have mentioned here I've seen somebody do well with. Considering I know a guy who consistently gets 5+ kills and 1100+ points in TW with Splatter Pro, it makes me sad to see people diss it.
As for Jet Squelcher, I've seen a few good ones around.
And Dynamo? People keep trying to play it like the Splat Roller.
You don't roll. You fling, and things die.
It's really good, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
As for the stinkers...most of the weapons with alt versions have a clearly inferior version, but the only stinker I can think of specifically is the Rapid Blaster. It needs a higher rate of fire or the ability to one shot.
Once we can get enough damage up abilities to kill in one hit with it, it's amazing, but in the meantime it's a worse version of the Squiffer.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Most of the weapons people have mentioned here I've seen somebody do well with. Considering I know a guy who consistently gets 5+ kills and 1100+ points in TW with Splatter Pro, it makes me sad to see people diss it.
As for Jet Squelcher, I've seen a few good ones around.
And Dynamo? People keep trying to play it like the Splat Roller.
You don't roll. You fling, and things die.
It's really good, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
As for the stinkers...most of the weapons with alt versions have a clearly inferior version, but the only stinker I can think of specifically is the Rapid Blaster. It needs a higher rate of fire or the ability to one shot.
Once we can get enough damage up abilities to kill in one hit with it, it's amazing, but in the meantime it's a worse version of the Squiffer.
Hint: you can't.

Splat Roller gets outclassed, if you ask me.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I feel that the rapid blaster is complete trash. Dual squelcher is fantastic, and the jet squelchers(both of them) get great set ups! Don't underestimate the burst bombs. On the custom squelcher you can hit an enemy with one and either kill them with another or shoot them dead with only needing one shot. Comes with the kraken too!

I have to agree most customs work a lot better than the original. One of the few exceptions for me would be the Jr.s
Splattershot Jr. is ofc great with the bubbler but the custom jr. I feel gets underestimated. Disruptors are fantastic! and a blaster gets it too, so that'll help it. So far my favorite weapon to use is the .52 gal with the splash wall and killer wail.

Zethoro

Inkling
NNID
Zethor
Hint: you can't.

Splat Roller gets outclassed, if you ask me.
Nobody has gotten 3main sockets with damage up and 9subs with it (if that's possible) so it might. I doubt it too though.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Nobody has gotten 3main sockets with damage up and 9subs with it (if that's possible) so it might. I doubt it too though.
There is a cap on how much you can increase your damage to prevent your weapon to splat in less shots. It only works if your enemy is stacking defense himself.

Or at least that's what I've read.

Zethoro

Inkling
NNID
Zethor
There is a cap on how much you can increase your damage to prevent your weapon to splat in less shots. It only works if your enemy is stacking defense himself.

Or at least that's what I've read.
Some guy actually made a thread demonstrating it. At the least, there's not a cap we've found yet.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
I was playing around with the Rapid Blaster in Splat Zones yesterday, and I honestly think it might be able to find a niche as a support weapon in a specific team combo. With the bubbler, the mine and its AOE ability, you can actually get more work done if you are actively trying to support your team rather than trying to take the zone by yourself. On Salt Spray specifically, I found that people trying to take cover on high ground or behind walls were very pressured (I didn't always get a kill, but they definitely had to leave, putting themselves in a vulnerable position) by the AOE properties of the weapon.

I also think that the bubble is a lifesaver at times and on a team where the composition doesn't have room for a Jr. I think the RB can fill that need and still be able to do other things. The mine can be great for defending the zone by placing it in choke points to catch people who just want to push off guard.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong, but I think that it may turn out that certain team compositions might actually do well with a Rapid Blaster in their line-up.

This weapon is absolutely trash in Turf Wars though. I won't argue that.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I'd like to throw the dynamo roller under the bus as a bad weapon
its disadvantages heavily outweigh the positives

as much as I love sprinkler and echolocation
the loss in both speed on the initial attack and ground speed loss just make it feel bad
most matches I've used it. it seems to eat ink really quickly
you have not met my gold dynamo roller, buddy. say that again when I drown you in a rain of colorful bodily fluids and regularly get the best K/D AND battle points in one match. dynamo rollers are terrifying if you meet a player who knows how to use it, similar to chargers where there's a wide span of skill. Plus nobody actually uses dynamo rollers, so it's hilarious to see people shifting from underestimating me to making me the primary kill target if they actually want a decent chance at progressing.

Anyway, (and to be on topic) if being technical the classical dynamo roller (sprinkler + echolocator) is almost objectively outclassed by the gold dynamo roller (tetraeder bombs + inkstrike). echolocator and sprinkler are alright in their own rights if you're more of a support guy, but for what you are (or I am) trying to achieve with a dynamo roller, bombs and inkstrike are far more strategically helpful. Dynamo rollers can and will annihilate your squid intestines though.

Last edited:

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I'm guessing the rapid blaster is kinda bad but I didn't tried it yet

bluecrow

Senior Squid
you have not met my gold dynamo roller, buddy. say that again when I drown you in a rain of colorful bodily fluids and regularly get the best K/D AND battle points in one match. dynamo rollers are terrifying if you meet a player who knows how to use it, similar to chargers where there's a wide span of skill. Plus nobody actually uses dynamo rollers, so it's hilarious to see people shifting from underestimating me to making me the primary kill target if they actually want a decent chance at progressing.

Anyway, (and to be on topic) if being technical the classical dynamo roller (sprinkler + echolocator) is almost objectively outclassed by the gold dynamo roller (tetraeder bombs + inkstrike). echolocator and sprinkler are alright in their own rights if you're more of a support guy, but for what you are (or I am) trying to achieve with a dynamo roller, bombs and inkstrike are far more strategically helpful. Dynamo rollers can and will annihilate your squid intestines though.
Oh, I've been giving dynamo my best wishes and while I have found it can do the whole ranged thing decently and can outperform a standard roller in turf wars (in both score and kills), swinging the thing is still its main weakness and sadly its also the selling point. Can't cancel the swing, poor movement while swinging and the spread of the ink deciding it won't get the kill is rather difficult to work with. Additionally in splat zones where ranged weapons are more present they are rather difficult to combat as a dynamo

still erasing 3 people with one swing wondering why there were grouped so hard is satisfying and thanks for ruining the lvl 20 roller for me, now I can't have half the joy of finding out what it has

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Oh, I've been giving dynamo my best wishes and while I have found it can do the whole ranged thing decently and can outperform a standard roller in turf wars (in both score and kills), swinging the thing is still its main weakness and sadly its also the selling point. Can't cancel the swing, poor movement while swinging and the spread of the ink deciding it won't get the kill is rather difficult to work with. Additionally in splat zones where ranged weapons are more present they are rather difficult to combat as a dynamo

still erasing 3 people with one swing wondering why there were grouped so hard is satisfying and thanks for ruining the lvl 20 roller for me, now I can't have half the joy of finding out what it has
I mean, every weapon has its pros and cons and is balanced - there are some quirks and difficulties in handling the dynamo, in the same way that for example you need to be really good at targeting with the sniper weapons. Working around and adapting the negs gives you a very, very deadly weapon in your hands. I've only been rank B- so far because I didn't play ranked battle much, but so far dynamo roller gives a really good advantage for the actual objective.

I'm sorry I took the virtue of surprise from you, but I gave you the present of anticipation! The gold dynamo roller is absolutely worth unlocking if you're into the dynamo, the loadout complements it SO MUCH better than the standard dynamo. Keep up the grind!

Also, here's a tip for the movement while swinging problem: jump. Jumping before swinging lets you carry the momentum with you, and jumping mid-swing gives you a farther spread (good for covering turf) and makes you harder to hit for enemies. Practice what I affectionately call the rain dance! And if you have the gold roller, bombs can be advantagous in close encounters as they explode faster than you even swing.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I mean, every weapon has its pros and cons and is balanced - there are some quirks and difficulties in handling the dynamo, in the same way that for example you need to be really good at targeting with the sniper weapons. Working around and adapting the negs gives you a very, very deadly weapon in your hands. I've only been rank B- so far because I didn't play ranked battle much, but so far dynamo roller gives a really good advantage for the actual objective.

I'm sorry I took the virtue of surprise from you, but I gave you the present of anticipation! The gold dynamo roller is absolutely worth unlocking if you're into the dynamo, the loadout complements it SO MUCH better than the standard dynamo. Keep up the grind!

Also, here's a tip for the movement while swinging problem: jump. Jumping before swinging lets you carry the momentum with you, and jumping mid-swing gives you a farther spread (good for covering turf) and makes you harder to hit for enemies. Practice what I affectionately call the rain dance! And if you have the gold roller, bombs can be advantagous in close encounters as they explode faster than you even swing.
don't worry I've been working in jumps, but I still think the loss in mobility is way to much on the dynamo. I always feel it instantly switching between rollers, but either way, I'm not calling dynamos a worthy choice unless I can rely on the spread at mid ranges, because like I said before it sometimes will choose to straight up not kill something.

also all rollers are deadly in the right hands just like all other weapons in this game. Sometimes it's not the weapon, but the player

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom