• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are we assigned Inkling Gender?

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
So since the announcement of Splatoon I've thought the Inkling Girls look infinitely better than the Inkling Boys due to their hairstyle, and because of this I decided that I'd play as a girl in Splatoon. BUT, seeing the Miis on the online leaderboards in the direct, I began to wonder whether or not we'll actually be allowed to choose our Inklings gender, since I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to simply make the game acknowledge the Mii's gender and make your Inkling correspond with that. Of course I hope this is not the case, as I don't really fancy changing my Mii's gender just so I can have some cool tentacle locks in Splatoon. What do you guys think?

On top of this, do we know anything about cross dressing? I know other Nintendo IPs like Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing allow it, but I haven't seen it in action in Splatoon yet. I'd hate for people to be limited in the gear they can wear based on whether they're playing an Inkling Girl or Boy.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
We don't know for sure, but it seems very likely that you'll be able to pick male/female. It wouldn't make sense to restrict you otherwise. It looked like you'll be able to change some Inkling features (like eye colour) at will, so it's possible you might not even be locked in to what you pick at the start? We'll have to see.

Geistbox

Full Squid
The in-game manual specifically says you assign the gender, so yes.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hopefully crossdressing is a thing. I love how receptive Animal Crossing is to many kinds of people and I hope Splatoon is the same way.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
EDIT: oh wait, just saw the manual, you can actually choose! That's nice!

Last edited:

Geistbox

Full Squid
You have the in-game manual?

Regardless, that is good news to hear
The demo contains the game's manual. Load up the game and access it through the home screen.

Confirms some other things like a Color Lock mode that's there to help color blind people.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Hopefully crossdressing is a thing. I love how receptive Animal Crossing is to many kinds of people and I hope Splatoon is the same way.
I hope so too. I don't like it when games decide what genders can and cannot wear things, honestly.

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
Yes! I was worried this would be the case and it isn't! Just checked myself! :)

Infinity343018

Senior Squid
I'm still wondering 1 thing though, what happens when you play with the Girl Amiibo and you have a Boy Inkling? Do you unlock the Schoolgirl Outfit and still have to wear it or will there be a Schoolboy Outfit for you to wear? I was hoping they'd tell that in the Direct, but alas. Hey wait! Does anyone know if they're answering questions during the Live Treehouse during the Testfire? If so, would someone watching please ask! (I'll be busy playing obviously ;)

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I feel the same way. Something about the Inkling males look odd to me and I just prefer the female so I'll probably choose the Inkling girl. It'd be nice to have the option to change genders afterwards though in case I change my mind, but that's not very likely. Oh well. :P

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'll be going for male because I am one IRL. Doubt, cross dressing will be allowed.

thefro

Full Squid
I'll be going for male because I am one IRL. Doubt, cross dressing will be allowed.
The schoolgirl dress is the only thing I've seen where that may be a question. The other clothes seem to be designed to be unisex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom