As a future Dynamo main...

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Got a couple of questions about the weapon.
1. How viable is Quick Respawn with it?
2. Which is better, the Gold or the vanilla? I use the Gold for Zones and the Vanilla otherwise, but am wondering if I should change.
3. What are the weapon's biggest weaknesses? I have serious trouble with chargers.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Well, as a fellow dynamo main, I can say a few things: I don't really know how viable quick respawn is, becuse I've never tried it, plus my playstyle is "keep doing stuff, only suicide if you must". As for the gold/vanilla, I use the vanilla for everything and play around with gold, mainly beucse echolocator is really good. For weaknesses, your mobility issues are the greatest. Chargers can be (very) annoying, but as long as you stay in positions they cannot reach, or have large bodies of own ink around you, you should be fine. But you pretty much need to rely on your team to make you passages on walls, for example, and when surrounded by a lot of enemy ink, you either make a quick path to your own ink or die. And I'd say the dynamo excels on pressure, so I recommend running a lot of ink saver mains (I personally run 1 main and 3 subs).

This is probably my longest post yet lol.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I did play with Gold Dynamo for some time, it was my favorite main but I just lost patience because it's a weapon that relies too much (for me at least) on your team. You can pressure and "deny areas" but if your team doesn't advances properly the game can get stuck on your side.

Interact well with your team to understand where you need to be positioned, ink-strike can support your team to advance or deny an area but they need to understand and act accordingly.

@Squix
Nice tip, gotta try Vanilla Dynamo someday. Is there any mode I should avoid? Thanks!

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Well, I'd say the dynamo isn't fantastic in TC, but it's not bad. It's fine for all the other modes. As for maps, hammerhead is not really good. I thought mackerel was bad too, but it's suprisingly good in SZ. Alfonsino is meh but not bad. Mahi-Mahi, Dome and Skatepark are your best friends, and Piranha Pit is pretty good too

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
The most common build I've seen for Dynamos is quick respawn/quick super jump/stealth jump/comeback builds. The biggest downside to Dynamos is that you will sometimes be forced to trade due to the slow attack speed. A build like this ensures that even when you trade, you still win. The normal Dynamo is also much more widely used. Splat bombs aren't that useful when your normal attack is a huge one-hit kill swath that uses less ink then your sub, and inkstrikes are mediocre in general.

@Squix Dynamos are actually fairly common on TC because the respawn synergy build works so well when you will be dying anyway on the tower. Dynamos are the most common tower riders when they are on a team.

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
I've found Flounder to be really good for the Dynamo. Also I used Gold in ranked accidentely, but it was Mahi Mahi Zones (and Kelp, go figure). A good Inkstrike in their end of the zone plus a flick in yours actually takes it all by yourself. Saved me a couple games. There is a safe place to Inkstrike to the right of our side of zone which sets up the immediate steal.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
1. It kinda depends on your playstyle. Play all out aggressive, and quick respawn will be useful. Play more defensively, and other abilities will likely be better.
2. I personally prefer the standard, Sprinklers and Echolocator are much better at supporting your team and applying pressure. Splat bombs take up a ton of ink, and do not do much more than flicks, while Inkstrike takes some time to start up and is a bit situational out of Splat Zones.
3. You are left pretty slow while flicking, so semi-long range weapons (chargers, splatlings, long range shooters, rapid blasters) can take advantage of your vulnerability. Always make sure you have a solid patch of ink behind you, it is very hard to make a quick retreat from approaching foes when surrounded by enemy ink.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I've mained Dynamo for quite some time now, and here's the advice I can give:

1. Quick Respawn is viable for a lot of builds, it depends though on what else you're running. From my experience, Dynamo is much more effective with Ink Saver main. It guzzles ink like there's no tomorrow, so I'd highly suggest prioritizing that. If your other 2 slots are open, Quick Respawn is worth running because Dynamos are often glass cannon-style weapons, so your K/D can really vary.

2. I prefer the Gold, but it depends heavily on your play style. Gold is offensive and all about turf coverage (which is hugely important in Ranked, don't let anyone tell you otherwise), vanilla is extremely support-focused. If you tend to stick behind the front lines of action and go for more passive support, vanilla's a strong option. Sprinklers are amazing for warding enemies away from towers as well as zoning, and Echolocator always helps your teammates. If you're a more aggressive player and tend to go for heavy pressure pushes, however, Gold is the way to go. Splat Bombs are useful in a ridiculously huge amount of scenarios, and while Inkstrike is mostly useful for Splat Zones (for instant reclaiming), people underestimate its handiness for pressure / protection as well. What I personally like to do is traverse through my own Inkstrikes and fling from inside the strike, because opponents won't be able to see you. If the strike doesn't take nearby foes out, your hidden flings will.

3. The biggest weaknesses are, by far, slowness and maneuverability. And, following the big nerf, the lagtime on ink refill, which can take serious getting used to. If you're fairly new to the weapon, I'd prioritize getting very accustomed to the fling time (1 full second, which can sometimes feel like minutes in Splatoon), ink refill lag and general mobility. Aim your flicks, because oftentimes having to try for a 2HKO instead of the 1HKO spells disaster. Dynamos are NOT standard rollers. As where ordinary roller users are accustomed to flick-spamming when enemies get close, with Dynamo every fling eats time so you'll need to assess when it's wisest to fling, and when you should focus on fleeing/repositioning instead.

You hit the nail on the head, chargers will absolutely be your worst enemy. Because Dynamos are slow, neon-sign targets who tend to stand their ground and fling, they are generally the very first players chargers aim for. Ink Resistance really helps, because with your slow movement speed you'll want a safe escape as often as possible (ideally, always position with some safe ink behind/around you). I'd observe beforehand if the enemy team has a charger user, and if so you'll have to plan your approaches more carefully. Although this build has divided opinions, I run Ninja Squid on my Dynamo because it hugely helps with clean approaches and escapes, which Dynamo sometimes desperately needs. It's to your advantage if the charger can't see you coming...because with the standard Dynamo approach, they almost always will. Good news is, both Dynamo subs can be effective in scaring chargers from their perches.

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
As an aggressive dynamo main myself, I primarily use quick respawn, and throw in some comeback, because that's basically what my preferred playstyle syncs with most. I know hypernova says the gold dynamo roller is better for being aggressive, splat bombs eat up so much ink, that you can only do one full flick afterwards, and that's a with a full tank. It takes serious ink saver sub investment for those subs to me on par with normal weapons in terms of sub weapon usage. Also, ink saver main is nice, but definitely not necessary once you're accustomed to the playstyle. Again, just a personal preference.

On the aggressive front once more, chances are very high that you're going to die a lot, due the weaknesses that everyone has already stated. When you're on the front lines, and someone so much as catches you in mid swing, while attacking someone or inking or whatever, you're very likely screwed. Of course you can use your reflexes and trade with some targets, but long range weapons are an aggressor's worst enemy. Point is, when you play aggressive, be wary of long range weapons when you're smashing faces, or stray bombs for that matter. Yes, random bombs have been thrown art my feet in the middle of my swing and killed me a few times. It's kinda humiliating to be honest. -_-

And lastly, be very careful of tight, enclosed spaces. They obstruct a lot of the dynamo's effective range in both inking and killing. Heck it's probably the worst handling weapon in the game for handling tight places. This is why port mackerel is total asinine for the dynamo, it can hardly move there AND its worst enemy, chargers, have a field day with it. And splash walls tossed on mid swing don't help either.

Keep in mind, most of this advice I have given is just from an aggressive point playstyle. I haven't played the supportive role for a very long time now. I feel like it leaves too much trust in your teammates, but maybe I'll try it again for nostalgia sake. Hope this post was helpful and not too redundant with what everyone has already stated.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
As long as you have a few gals on your team, Mackerel is just fine. It is excellent in locking down the zone, and you'd be suprised at it's kill range in the corridoors (this is probably becuse of shooters who rush forward but still). Keep in mind, this only works for zones and maybe turf wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom