As a low level comp player, whats the best way you and your team to improve?

emon

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4681-6511-6715
People say this, but how do I find anyone to play with let alone a team?
There are plenty of discord servers for this sort of stuff, if you’d like to find a team I recommend Splatoon Recruitment and Free Agency on discord. As far as scrims go the LUTI server is probably your best bet.

D

Deleted member

I wish people would actually give me a chance to play with others. I'm so fed up with being trapped in solo it makes me so frustrated I start crying after one loss because I know this is all I can do and all I can be and there's no way I'll ever be able to improve

D

Deleted member

There are plenty of discord servers for this sort of stuff, if you’d like to find a team I recommend Splatoon Recruitment and Free Agency on discord. As far as scrims go the LUTI server is probably your best bet.
Again, I'm banned from there

emon

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4681-6511-6715
No idea what you could’ve done but either try to appeal or make an alt account.

D

Deleted member

No idea what you could’ve done but either try to appeal or make an alt account.
They don't listen to me. They say I'm too toxic to be around. No one gives me a chance. I'm angry and I act like this because I'm so frustrated at how lonely and trapped I am. I'd give anything to have someone help me out of this, but no one wants to.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
There's like, a whole subforum here for trying to find a teammate. Guster mentioned the general Splatoon 3 Discord, Squid School and Chara's Discord, I'd consider joining those if you haven't. EDIT: Just saw the post where you say you got banned from all those except Spl Stronghold, my bad. There's also a server here that has invites for a boatload of other servers that I'd check out.

And in general I'd consider seeking therapy rather than complaining on a Splatoon forum if the problem is truly so bad for you that you're calling yourself "lonely and trapped."

Last edited:

emon

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4681-6511-6715
Even if you do have a valid reason to be angry it’s not validated. Take a break from comp splatoon for a bit and come back when you feel more mentally prepared.

《Я.KABBAGE

Inkling
Honestly at low level meta doesn't really matter, my team runs double tent and tetras on zones and currently have won against 5/6 different teams with it even though it's the opposite of meta

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
The golden rule of self-improvement in a shooter is:

It's always awareness.

Over the years I've found that almost every self-improvement issue you run into can be fixed or improved by working on your awareness skills in general. Your mental load is a resource. Working on awareness skills stretches your mental workload across longer periods of time for specific tasks, which mitigates you hitting the limits of your mental load capacity. It means that when that thing you've been working on happens in the moment, there's a higher chance that you already thought about it and can now just do it instead of needing to figure everything out mid-fight.

My FPS background revolves around Halo and old Xbox console shooters. In those communities, the concept of awareness was one of the most talked about an analyzed skills in competitive play. I don't see it often talked about in Splatoon. Perhaps we need to talk about it more.

SwiftyTaco

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8339-9344-3501
I'd say definitely learning how to communicate efficiently and coordinate with each other. Splatoon is a fast game, and a lot can happen within 5 seconds, so quickly being able to communicate with each other so you can formulate a push would be priority number one.

Mecog

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7088-0086-9026
I'm technically not low level cause I've recently gotten banned. But if I had to say, the best way to improve as a team is simple vibe with each other. My team, super team 5, while trying out took members we vibed with more over the better player because those types of players improve faster. Doesn't matter if they're Div 8 trying out for a Div 5 team, they'll improve 10x faster than a better player if both players like the team. If you wanna improve specifically, understand that everyone including yourself is not good at this level. Practicing against people at your level is one of the least helpful things you can do. Fight people above your skill level in sendouq. Our team commonly challenges teams 3 ranks above ours in sendouq because it gets us used to that pace of play. Oh yeah, take this as a grain of salt, I'm still not good at this game even if I'm in mid-level. Just sharing my experience, don't get coached by Div 4-5 players btw. Get someone in +3 or on the edge of +3 (this includes literally every splatoon YouTube that attempts to coach you. Those videos are intentionally made by work for a large audience, therefore they're usually made to be very basic. Which doesn't help at this level.) Watching people play your weapon will help you faster than watching those YouTube. An example of this is when I started at the game, I preferred to watch procharas 2nd channel over his first because it helped me actually understand what he finds important in a match instead of simple stuff that meant nothing to me. Not saying his main channel content is bad, it's just not made to improve at the game if you already know the basics.

Mecog

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7088-0086-9026
I'm technically not low level cause I've recently gotten banned. But if I had to say, the best way to improve as a team is simple vibe with each other. My team, super team 5, while trying out took members we vibed with more over the better player because those types of players improve faster. Doesn't matter if they're Div 8 trying out for a Div 5 team, they'll improve 10x faster than a better player if both players like the team. If you wanna improve specifically, understand that everyone including yourself is not good at this level. Practicing against people at your level is one of the least helpful things you can do. Fight people above your skill level in sendouq. Our team commonly challenges teams 3 ranks above ours in sendouq because it gets us used to that pace of play. Oh yeah, take this as a grain of salt, I'm still not good at this game even if I'm in mid-level. Just sharing my experience, don't get coached by Div 4-5 players btw. Get someone in +3 or on the edge of +3 (this includes literally every splatoon YouTube that attempts to coach you. Those videos are intentionally made by work for a large audience, therefore they're usually made to be very basic. Which doesn't help at this level.) Watching people play your weapon will help you faster than watching those YouTube. An example of this is when I started at the game, I preferred to watch procharas 2nd channel over his first because it helped me actually understand what he finds important in a match instead of simple stuff that meant nothing to me. Not saying his main channel content is bad, it's just not made to improve at the game if you already know the basics.
tldr; playing with people you vibe with will make you improve 10x faster no matter the skill level. understand you're bad at the game so loses are expected, but at the same time your opponents are bad at the game so never practice with people at the same level as you. Simply outpacing your opponent as this level is enough to win, just fight players at that pace until you're able to hold your own at least a bit

quilxinm

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1715-4049-1802
I've tried new weaponds, made my gear more meta, and trained for a while, and yet I feel like I'm every tournament everyone is rolling me over lol
Hi! Low level (d5-6 est) here! I understand your frustration tbh because I used to be hard stuck but I’ve experienced rapid improvement over the past 5-6 months. Here’s what helped me

1. Stick to your class. Make sure you limit your weapon pool for awhile- and practice to hell with it. Spend a lot of time just running open games to learn the mechanics
2. Challenge yourself. You’re going to learn the most from fighting players better than you. If you’re d9 try and fight d7 teams for scrims. Enter those situations trying to learn. If you only fight at your own level or lower you won’t grow as fast
3. Realize that losing is good. You learn the most from losing your games. If you lose or play poorly re watch your gameplay and kinda nitpick what you did wrong. Recognize common mistakes and focus on fixing one or two of them while playing open
4. Aim drill! It’s actually really important to practice aim and flicks, practice tracking enemies too
5. Ask for help! Most people aren’t afraid to give you advice on how to improve

Most importantly surround yourself with people who lift you up- even if you lose or perform poorly. If people believe in you and always want the best for you it’ll reflect in your gameplay

.jpg_

Inkster Jr.
play low ink (not biased)

but seriously play in an event like low ink where you get guaranteed games no matter what your performance is. Don't play for results, you should find teams around or slightly above your skill level. make connections with these teams and scrim them.

comp splatoon is a game of connections, you need to be buddies with other teams.

autumnWindigo

Inkling
Hey! I'm part of a div 7 team (land crabs). I had no comp experience like four or five months ago and there's three main things that I think accelerated me and my team to where we are now.

1. Same as quilxinm said, limit your weapon pool. Sticking to a single role and a few weapons lets you improve over time. It stinks when you feel horrible with them for a while, but switching your role or weapons don't help that they just perpetuate it. Top level players can play so many weapons because of how much time they've put into the game that you just don't have. I've only played BP and pencil for a few months and I don't think I'd be as good as I am if I also played bows and jet squelcher as well. You don't have to play meta, but if you're really trying to improve there's a reason those weapons are good.

2. Your teammates gotta have the same mindset. Having your teammates be chill and point out when your coolers are horrible (in a nice way) is a great thing, same with them sending you videos to watch or guides to read. Your team should feel like one large learning recourse as well as friends.

3. The boring part: Learning. Your mechanics will improve by just playing the game, and (imo) no fancy aim training at a low level, at least for backline, is better than just playing the game, What can't improve by play is your knowledge base. One of the largest bottlenecks for low level is that you don't know what you don't know. No matter how precise your aim or fast your movement, you won't be able to convert a 2v1 unless you learn how to first. Pro players never feel out of place because they've spent years learning through trial and error every interaction between specials, spacing, map control, etc. So steal that info from them without all the work of playing!!!! Everyone says "review replays, think critically", but you really can't until you've built up that knowledge base with your team. Spend that time you would use aimlessly shooting dummies for an hour watching pro players who run your weapon and roles and reading, even though it's boring sometimes.

zyf_

Pro Squid

lol
unironically i spent 3 months writing up an answer to this question

the fundamental truth is that there is no shortcut
rarely will gear and weapon choices will not make you better beyond the short term
getting good fundamentally requires losing so learn to learn from it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom