Automatic gear customization

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Using reddit user macguffinman's gear sheet (https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/38wxv4/a_sortable_google_sheet_of_all_the_gear_in/) I´ve made a macro in Excel which allows you to select 6 abilities and will tell you the gear combination (headgear, clothing and shoes) that can achieve that setup. Usage is straightforward: select 6 abilities, press the button and a list will appear with all the possible combinations. The sub ability is determined by each brand´s probability of getting that ability, for example:
Neon Sea Slugs have Ink Resistance as main ability and are from Tentatek, which has a 5X chance of rolling Ink Recovery Up. So if you select Ink Resistance and Ink Recovery Up as desired abilities the Neon Sea Slugs will become eligible .

Note that the sheet uses macros so you´ll surely get a security prompt when opening it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cT4cxMTtjVNkIyRUJSLW1rRjg/view?usp=sharing

Please leave any comments, suggestions for improvement, etc...

Hope you find it useful!

Phobos

Inkling Commander
This is excellent! I've been using a messy document in order to do something similar, and this is much neater :D

One thought: would it be possible to run searches without selecting for all six slots? For example, I might want to see how many possible ways there are of combining 2 x special saver and 2 x special charge up, whilst remaining open on what the other two slots might be, and then choosing from among the results, but right now that's not possible.

Njok

Bouncer
This is really awesome!! Thanks alot for the work.

I've been doing it old skool with pen and paper (ok i'll be honest, taking notes on my smartphone) and it get's messy and i always just end up staring at the gear selection screen for 30 minutes :D

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Just noticed something; if you try combining the following abilities:

2x special saver
2x special charge up
1x tenacity
1x ink saver main

It will come back with 'no gear combination found'. However, that combination should be possible with Black Arrowbands, Layered Vector LS, and Orange Arrows (this is my 'tons of specials' set) I've checked and those items seemed to be entered correctly, so not sure what's going wrong.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Just noticed something; if you try combining the following abilities:

2x special saver
2x special charge up
1x tenacity
1x ink saver main

It will come back with 'no gear combination found'. However, that combination should be possible with Black Arrowbands, Layered Vector LS, and Orange Arrows (this is my 'tons of specials' set) I've checked and those items seemed to be entered correctly, so not sure what's going wrong.
Right now the macro will only work correctly if you enter 6 different abilities. I´ll rewrite it so you can select duplicated abilities.

I also took note of your other suggestion, I´ll look into how I can do that.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Brilliant! And thank you - I'm pleased to be retiring this messy document :)

Last edited:

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I just updated the sheet at the link, now you can select the same ability more than once. I´ve done some tests and it seems to be working fine, but if you find anything weird please let me know.

BTW, the results given are not the only possible ones, just the most probable. For example, the Neon Green Slugs have 5X chance to get Ink Recovery Up, however yesterday I got 3 Damage Up subskills in a reroll from Spike. This way the real combinations are almost infinite as every gear can theoretically roll 3 of every subskill. The sheet won´t consider this and will only focus on finding you the gear that will most easily accomplish the skill setup you want after some rerolls from Spike.
The sheet won´t either take into account combinations of subskills (for example, having 2 of one subskill in the headgear of gear and 1 of the same subskill in the shoes) as then the possibilities would be, again, too many. This sheet is focused on specializing your gear and having 3X of the same subskill in every piece of gear.

The sheet still won´t work correctly if you leave some abilities empty. Hopefully I will include it in the next update.

Last edited:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
This is great! Already discovered some new options I hadn't noticed before - thanks :D

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Just spotted a small mistake in the clothing section:

Sunny Day Tee has its main listed as Special Duration Up - should be Special Charge Up.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´ve just uploaded V5 with that corrected, thanks!

Please let me know any more mistakes or suggestions.

Zauron

Inkling
This seems awesome, but any chance of converting it to a Google Sheets document so can use it right in my browser instead of having to download it and open it in a new-enough version of Excel?

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
This is brilliant! Thank you. I always kept forgetting what brands related to which ability and having to check all the time was so time consuming and confusing. This is exactly what I needed!

Now to roll for that perfect gear...

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
nice work!
been checking this out for about 5 minutes, and it's amazing how much of a time-saver it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom