Backline flow chart for all maps - zones

Ska!lops

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5340-3540-5928
I think I have a pretty good comprehension of the hypothetical of power spots, kill boxes, and retake specials on backline; but my success in X right now is really dependent on the maps in rotation.

For example, today was Hagglefish and Eeltail and I got had two perfect series. Yesterday was Humpback and I lost every game. I recognize that some maps are *better* for chargers but that doesn't mean I can't learn to compensate.

I've heard top level players talk about the order of areas they retake such as on Mako you take the left stack, then the right stack, then hold zone. In Barnacle you take your right side, then snipe, and then the zone.

What are your favorite power spots and why; and what is your priority for controlling areas?

(If this thread is popular we can make one for the other modes but I only care about Zones myself for right now. You can find the maps here.)

Last edited:

Ska!lops

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5340-3540-5928
1706754104711.png

I'll start:

I always take the left side first because it's the safest high-ground and gives me view of everything including under the tent/glass. then I hug the left side for cover and right peeking. The second spot lets me watch the weak flank, and have enough time to run away if the push the strong flank. Usually I only make it to the third spot but I will push up to the small cover if my team is very aggressive and not feeding

Akainacephalus

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
NNID
BadgerPuff
Switch Friend Code
SW-7029-8035-3132
View attachment 8885
I'll start:

I always take the left side first because it's the safest high-ground and gives me view of everything including under the tent/glass. then I hug the left side for cover and right peeking. The second spot lets me watch the weak flank, and have enough time to run away if the push the strong flank. Usually I only make it to the third spot but I will push up to the small cover if my team is very aggressive and not feeding
these flow charts are super well made, and i understand your reasoning, it makes sense! but as a liter player i think opening left isnt really a good option.. its safe, but you're giving up way too much free space in mid. a more common opening is canopy as it lets you watch right flank and control a good chunk of space in mid as well as your entire court. personally, i like to open just under the ledge in mid. its a very aggressive opening, but a lot of people dont expect it especially from a liter, so it lets me get an early pick for my team to take advantage of while also exerting tons of pressure over the objective. in my opinion left is only really good for retake if they have control of your plat, but otherwise i think it's too passive most of the time for zones

Jimmy'

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0521-8728-1315
I agree with Akainacephalus.

If you position on top left, you're putting yourself into a defensive position. in the sense that you're automatically giving the other team control of the map, and letting them push into your side of the map.

Pushing down onto plat will make it hard for the enemy to walk through mid. and you can watch the left side flank pretty well, givinf you enough time to back up if needed.

if you head straight for zone, by the time you make it to the green dot, and start charging, the closest an enemy can be is the yellow line
(Unless they're using opening gambit, which is very unlikely) (My green dot might be a bit close to zone for an eliter, I usually play splat charger here.)

Its essentially the same plan you originally had, but a fast approach.

if you are respawning and the enemy has control of the zone, then your proposed approach is a good one.
But in the beginning of the matches, going straight into mid is a safe approach.
1707031791947.png

Jimmy'

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0521-8728-1315
View attachment 8886
This has been my plan for Humpback, but it has ... not been successful
This looks all right (In the beginning of the match, just go straight down to the left.)

Humpback itself is a hard map for chargers to play on.
When I encounter it in tourneys I opt to playing Jet, Explo, Ballpoint.
Heavy is another strong option here, I just haven't spent time practicing it :D

Jimmy'

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0521-8728-1315
another great route I would recommend would be this one.

Depending on the team you are playing with, going over on the right into the enemy base is a very strong position for Chargers, Splatlings, and anything long ranged. this will prevent the other team from being able to drop onto their plat.
And you have safe spots to back up into mid if multiple players drop your way.

The downsides of positioning here, specifically on Clams, you leave your left flank open to the basket, players can flank for points.
Now, getting here only works after you get them 2-3 players down, and it works best if you are playing with a team and can communicate where you are going.

That all being said, this position works well for charger because its the only good spot a charger can stand on this map. all the curves make everywhere else awkward to stand.
Being on right will be one of the only spots where you feel like "Yea, this is a good spot"

Note, I used a screenshot for splatoon 2. its basically the same, the concept is whats important.
1707032804457.png

Akainacephalus

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
NNID
BadgerPuff
Switch Friend Code
SW-7029-8035-3132
another great route I would recommend would be this one.

Depending on the team you are playing with, going over on the right into the enemy base is a very strong position for Chargers, Splatlings, and anything long ranged. this will prevent the other team from being able to drop onto their plat.
And you have safe spots to back up into mid if multiple players drop your way.

The downsides of positioning here, specifically on Clams, you leave your left flank open to the basket, players can flank for points.
Now, getting here only works after you get them 2-3 players down, and it works best if you are playing with a team and can communicate where you are going.

That all being said, this position works well for charger because its the only good spot a charger can stand on this map. all the curves make everywhere else awkward to stand.
Being on right will be one of the only spots where you feel like "Yea, this is a good spot"

Note, I used a screenshot for splatoon 2. its basically the same, the concept is whats important.
View attachment 9179
personal favorite position of mine especially on zones :p
rainmaker its just a given though, and cb/tc humback are usually banned anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom