Basic Tournament Structure For Up and Coming TOs

What maps should be Legal in your opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
THIS IS ALL STILL THEORYCRAFTING BUT I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS, ESPECIALLY ON STAGE LEGALITY/NEUTRALITY PLEASE

^^^^^^^^^Notice the Bold Underlined Italics.This guy means Squidsness

2v2/3v3/4v4 games

Player Rotation only allowed on 2v2 and 3v3 games. Teams may not have more than 4 players registered at a time unless Connections are really bad.

Best of 3, 5 OR 7 games, on all RANKED modes.

Striking probably should go Host-1, Visitor-2, Host-1 Visitor choose, or Roshambo for first pick/choose

Loser picks the next stage/gamemode, but both teams may not choose a map they have won on more than twice, unless by Gentleman’s rule.

GAME TYPE BANS? Loser Bans a Gamemode(choice of Rainmaker, Tower Control, and Splat Zones). Winner chooses what gamemode is played next(Gentleman’s rule may apply here)

Gear Bans? Probably not, at least until a certain Gear combo(obviously with the subs included) becomes a problem somehow.

Weapon Bans? Probably not. There isn’t a specific combination of Weapons that could determine the tide of battle completely.

Bracket structure? Double Elim, Single elim, or combination of both?

My personal suggestion would be a Double Elim Bracket, with a single Elim top 4. Bracket until Top 4 being a Bo5 games, and Top 4 being Bo7 games, or just a straight up Double Elim Bracket

STAGES1!!!!1!ONE!11!!!

NEUTRALS:

• Walleye
  • Saltspray
  • Blackbelly
  • Kelp dome
  • Port mackerel
  • Underpass

Counter picks

• Flounder
  • Arowana
  • Bluefin
  • HammerHead
  • Triggerfish
  • Moray

Last edited:

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Uhhhh... No.

There is so much in this post that is just straight up not going to happen.

Bo9 and Bo7 are just overkill. Bo5 is more than enough, and Bo3 is doable.

And we've basically all agree that striking is not the way to go. Most of us TOs are using Halo-style now. and if we were doing striking, 6 neutrals doesn't work, and banning maps is a no-no.

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
Uhhhh... No.

There is so much in this post that is just straight up not going to happen.

Bo9 and Bo7 are just overkill. Bo5 is more than enough, and Bo3 is doable.

And we've basically all agree that striking is not the way to go. Most of us TOs are using Halo-style now. and if we were doing striking, 6 neutrals doesn't work, and banning maps is a no-no.
Alright. I can agree that Bo9 is probably overkill now, after running it through my head. this is just my initial thoughts on Tournament structure

Power

Inkling Commander
I agree with the idea of halo style instead of striking. It simply makes sets progress much smoother than when striking is in place.
Furthermore, you didn't give sufficient reasoning for your choices. I don't think we should just accept the bans that you have placed.

bo9 is crazy... maybe in a finals for a huge tournament, otherwise... I don't feel that it will really work out in top 8.

At least you have attempted something. imo there hasn't been many things of interest in this sub forum lately.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
At least you have attempted something. imo there hasn't been many things of interest in this sub forum lately
Agreed. I'd rather have someone make a legitimate proposal, even if it is flawed, than nothing. It's always nice when people are engaged in the community

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
I agree with the idea of halo style instead of striking. It simply makes sets progress much smoother than when striking is in place.
Furthermore, you didn't give sufficient reasoning for your choices. I don't think we should just accept the bans that you have placed.

bo9 is crazy... maybe in a finals for a huge tournament, otherwise... I don't feel that it will really work out in top 8.

At least you have attempted something. imo there hasn't been many things of interest in this sub forum lately.
Bo9 was a single elim top4 idea.

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
Also for the banning, I said i needed input for stage legality(hence the poll at the top), and that this entire T.S. was a Theorycraft. I want to host tournaments in my area/region and was thinking about how it would work. I'm new to this still, so sorry for the flawed rulesets guys

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
First off I just want to mention that all these colors are hurting my eyes lol

Adding on to what people have mentioned earlier, no maps should be banned unless there is a game-breaking exploit/glitch found in the map that renders them unplayable in a competitive environment, or even not properly functional in the case of a glitch. Even then you can probably just ban the exploit from being used if its obvious enough that a player uses it.

Oh yeah also Splatoon isn't Smash. Smash has maps that aren't exactly designed for a fair match(you could argue FD, Smashville, Battlefield, etc. are designed to be fair but maps like Icicle Mountain, not so much), whereas Splatoon has maps that are designed with fair competition in mind from the get-go. So banning a map doesn't really have much sense to it outside of the aforementioned points

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
First off I just want to mention that all these colors are hurting my eyes lol

Adding on to what people have mentioned earlier, no maps should be banned unless there is a game-breaking exploit/glitch found in the map that renders them unplayable in a competitive environment, or even not properly functional in the case of a glitch. Even then you can probably just ban the exploit from being used if its obvious enough that a player uses it.

Oh yeah also Splatoon isn't Smash. Smash has maps that aren't exactly designed for a fair match(you could argue FD, Smashville, Battlefield, etc. are designed to be fair but maps like Icicle Mountain, not so much), whereas Splatoon has maps that are designed with fair competition in mind from the get-go. So banning a map doesn't really have much sense to it outside of the aforementioned points
Thanks for the input. I'll just remove Moray as a banned map and put it as a Counterpick.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Here are my opinions in order.

XvX where X is the same number. Basic algebra here.

What was that about rotation?

Bo5. Bo7 maybe for finals.

It really doesn't matter.

Fair enough

Try whatever you want. We need different styles of tourneys this early in the meta.

No.

No.

Probably Double. I don't understand Swiss. :P

Mackrel is not a Neutral
Nothing is banned
Map list may not even be necessary.

Yeah, basically, try whatever you want, but be logical about it.

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
Here are my opinions in order.

XvX where X is the same number. Basic algebra here.

What was that about rotation?

Bo5. Bo7 maybe for finals.

It really doesn't matter.

Fair enough

Try whatever you want. We need different styles of tourneys this early in the meta.

No.

No.

Probably Double. I don't understand Swiss. :p

Mackrel is not a Neutral
Nothing is banned
Map list may not even be necessary.

Yeah, basically, try whatever you want, but be logical about it.
Mackerel is a straightforward stage with pretty basic movement and flow, so why wouldn't it be neutral? Swiss isn't necessary, and I had a completely different thought about what "Swiss" was when I had posted. Let me remove that.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Mackerel is a straightforward stage with pretty basic movement and flow, so why wouldn't it be neutral?
a)Tight corridors, locked down space
b)There's literally 2 'neutral' zones. And they're not at the center of the map.

Whatever, it doesn't really matter, because not everyone around here likes the whole smash ruleset thing. It's something that doesn't really need to be debated. Go debate it in the other thread called something like "Neutrals/Bans/Counterpicks for...." that's linked in my compilation thread. My compilation thread is linked in my sig.

Courage_

Inkling
NNID
Rakugaki_Time
Courage the beginner here, I will state one sentiment and that's that the idea of banning any stage within a year of the game's release is ridiculous! Splatoon was designed fairly well, and is still balanced. Oh and you never explained why these stages are banned, neutral, or a counter-pick, but I guess that's for another post

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
It's a first draft list, and the stage list is just an example. If you all REALLY want reasoning on why I chose stages to be "Neutral" or "counterpick" I can make a completely different post. Clarification on the "Smash ruleset" is that I am extremely familiar to it, I like it, and with a bit of modifications it works with most games. The Jargon stays though XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom