Been using the vanilla Slosher more lately

PowrToPlay

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jdb1984
It worked fairly well in the last Splatfest (when the last Splatfest worked), and it has a good amount of kill potential, able to arc over short walls, hit anything in mid range or closer, and even able to 2-shot an opponent with three defense up mains (according to the weapon test grounds, at least).

The problem is that because of this, I need to rearrange my equipment (including a shirt I was trying to get for months and just found last week).

I'm still going to use two Defense Ups and Swim Speed Up. Special Saver seems to be in the cards as well. I may drop Ink Resistance (and the Red Hi-Tops I've had since close to the beginning). Since the Slosher's sub weapon uses some major ink, I'm thinking Ink Saver Sub and/or Ink Recovery Up. Ink Saver Main is also debated.

So, in short, the ones I'm sure I'm getting:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup:x2

And the ones I'm considering:
:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_inkrecovery::ability_specialsaver:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Ink Resistance is a great help on the Slosher, since it can't ink ground nearly as fast as other weapons, so being able to have less of a penalty for it helps out in the long run. As for Defence, it's a very questionable ability to me, it isn't bad, but it gets countered by 1-2mains of Damage, which makes it essentially useless. 9 times out of 10 people will have enough Damage to counter 3 mains of Defence where they use a weapon that needs it (Tentatek, .52 Gal, .96 Gal). As for Ink Saver Sub, 1 main, 3 subs will give you 3 Burst Bombs from a full tank, so if you want that you can always use that instead. Ink Saver Main is a no-no for Sloshers, you need to stack too much and you only get 1-3 extra sloshes, which isn't worth it. Ink Recovery can be nice, but I never really used it and can't comment on it's effectiveness. Special Saver isn't overly important, since the Slosher is a "Light" special depletion weapon, so it only loses 40% of its meter on death, but 1 main should suffice if you want to use it, any more than that is excessive for a Light special loss. 2-3 mains of Swim Speed is great, and that should leave you with the ability to stack 2 mains worth of Ink Saver Sub for the Burst Bombs.

Overall, I would say Ink Resistance can be a help, 1 main of Damage would be good (to increase the strength slightly of the Burst Bombs and the falloff damage), with 2 mains worth of swim speed and 2 mains worth of Ink Resistance. This suggested build may require a shiny gear, but ultimately it comes down to your personal playstyle preference and the abilities you prefer.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@Cyan
Yeah, the problem is that there isn't a natural build anymore that gives bomb range, ink saver sub, and damage. Especially if you want to include ink resistance. Nor can you get a natural build with 2 swim speeds, 2 ink recovery, 1 damage, and ink resistance.

You can try sacrificing one main of something:
Camo Mesh :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Part Time Pirate :clothes_tly007: :ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Neo Sea Slugs :shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

So you lose out on some swim speed but get a bit more ink efficiency on burst bombs.

Or you could go white tee for three bombs with this build and sacrifice some ink recovery.
:clothes_tes000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Or you could sacrifice ink resistance and go Hunter Hi-Tops.
:shoes_shi004::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Which gives you everything else you want.

Also, note that one damage man and one sub should get you an splat with an slosh + an indirect burst bomb. So, something to think about when putting together a build.

I'd probably go the two main ink saver sub route because I always run out of ink too quickly when sloshing, which is exacerbated by throwing burst bombs.

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
Having used this weapon since it came out I'd say you need :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_inkrecovery: but with the changes to burst bombs you might want some :ability_inksaversub: at least 3 subs if not a main. :ability_damage: is less necessary with the buffs to burst bombs but it certainly doesn't hurt and can make a difference when facing multiple squids or weapons with faster TTK. Beyond that :ability_swimspeed: and :ability_quickrespawn: are always useful. :ability_specialsaver: is unnecessary due to how light the depletion is and spamming inkstrikes generally isn't all that helpful.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Vanilla Slosher? Who still uses that outdated trash can? :L

Lawlz I kid, I still use it along with the Soda and Deco! Thanks to the increased damage on Burst Bomb far hits, you only need two strength up subs for them Slosh + Bomb combos to always kill barring defense ups so that's kinda nice, though overall hitbox range reduction and only two bombs sucks. Because of the latter I've forgone trying to kill purely with Burst Bombs and use them moreso to assist the main weapon, thus range ups I no longer use. Instead I've got just enoug Saver Sub for 3 bombs and a bit more Swim Speed since I'll need to be in their face more. This build is also pure natural, no shinys required!

:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Fugu Bell Hat
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - :clothes_tes009:
:ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: - :shoes_cfs001:

I feel you really don't need Ink Resistance at all here since Burst Bomb dashing is a thing, and the Inkstrike isn't worth expending any ability slots on imo.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Fugu Bell Hat
That hat tho....

I usually don't care about looking tacky, but that hat is too much. I got so excited when I saw there was an ink recovery firefin...then I saw the thing. *shudders*
I'm trying to figure out how to get ink recovery on my builds without having to use that stupid hat.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
tl;dr: I agree with Dolphin.

I can't expressly suggest any gear sets, but what I like to run is 2 or 3 mains' worth of :ability_inksaversub:, 1 or 2 of :ability_damage:, and then some combination of :ability_swimspeed:, :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_inkrecovery: in the remaining space. I occasionally run just enough Sub Saver to throw three Burst Bombs, but I don't like to use it like that - I'll still prefer to throw two and then make good use of the remaining tank space with the bucket itself. Whenever using this weapon, more so than with its alternative forms, I find the most important thing to be to run enough ink efficiency that I very rarely actually run out of ink - I want to be a permanent nuisance and to be able to throw a couple of water balloons without fear of running dry if I'm forced to retreat.

I think that the Slosher shouldn't usually be aggressive enough to warrant :ability_defenseup: or :ability_quickrespawn:. Also never liked :ability_inkresistance: with buckets; the only situation it really helps with is if you want to backtrack while attacking in front of you but, again, standard Sloshers shouldn't too frequently find themselves in such hairy situations (the Tri could be a different story).

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
That hat tho....

I usually don't care about looking tacky, but that hat is too much. I got so excited when I saw there was an ink recovery firefin...then I saw the thing. *shudders*
I'm trying to figure out how to get ink recovery on my builds without having to use that stupid hat.
Aww I think it looks okay and like how it changes color to match your ink, but yeah not all ideal ability set-ups look too great, though for me it's worth not having to deal with Spyke anymore than necessary.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Mullin was the most successful Vanilla Slosher in tournaments. He stacked Damage and ran ink efficiency and i think a tiny bit of bomb range. Some amount of Damage is pretty much required, after that it's probably the same nowadays but with a heavier emphasis on sub saver because of the burst bomb nerf.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Well, updating my previous post: I ran a fairly different set in SZ just now and it put in some good work on Triggerfish (didn't once go to Ancho-V in four games, so can't speak for that). It works with how easily Burst Bombs can cover dual zones and the fact that you get a lot of new targets on Triggerfish with some range.
:head_hbd002::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_unknown:
:clothes_swt003::ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_unknown:
:shoes_amb000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_damage::ability_unknown:
I don't have perfect stuff but managed to pull a sensible set together (mystery abilities were just little perks). This just about throws three Burst Bombs, although I only like doing that from across the Triggerfish river or a similar obstacle. I played defensively so didn't use my Main weapon much except to fend off flankers. Ultimately, then, this is just a Burst Bomb set, not so specific to the bucket.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well, updating my previous post: I ran a fairly different set in SZ just now and it put in some good work on Triggerfish (didn't once go to Ancho-V in four games, so can't speak for that). It works with how easily Burst Bombs can cover dual zones and the fact that you get a lot of new targets on Triggerfish with some range.
:head_hbd002::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_unknown:
:clothes_swt003::ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_unknown:
:shoes_amb000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_damage::ability_unknown:
I don't have perfect stuff but managed to pull a sensible set together (mystery abilities were just little perks). This just about throws three Burst Bombs, although I only like doing that from across the Triggerfish river or a similar obstacle. I played defensively so didn't use my Main weapon much except to fend off flankers. Ultimately, then, this is just a Burst Bomb set, not so specific to the bucket.
Is that really all you did, nothing but Burst Bombs? You may aswell use a weapon with a better special lolz. Also why all that strength? I used to use that much but after the damage buff I don't think that amount is necessary anymore.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Is that really all you did, nothing but Burst Bombs? You may aswell use a weapon with a better special lolz. Also why all that strength? I used to use that much but after the damage buff I don't think that amount is necessary anymore.
Haha, no, I wasn't playing pure Burst Bombs. The Damage gets a few milestones ([distant indirect Burst + slosh] as well as [direct Burst + near-miss Burst] both take out opponents with even one Main of Defence). Additionally, I always felt that classic Sloshers did well do carry some Damage for potential OHKOs after ink damage or single hits from your teammates.

The Special is fine for SZ, surely? It charges pretty quickly if I'm constantly bailing out the Zone(s) and can always buy a few seconds, which works better in this mode where it's beneficial to have opponents stuck at their side.

And no, my comment about not using the bucket itself wasn't too accurate - relatively speaking, yeah, I didn't slosh as much as toss out a couple of bombs and recharge, but it was necessary for making the initial push and any zone recoveries. In that case, it just comes down to my weapon preferences, and, at the moment, this is the only Burst Bomb weapon I use (which changes in a couple of hours when the Grim releases, sure).

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Haha, no, I wasn't playing pure Burst Bombs. The Damage gets a few milestones ([distant indirect Burst + slosh] as well as [direct Burst + near-miss Burst] both take out opponents with even one Main of Defence). Additionally, I always felt that classic Sloshers did well do carry some Damage for potential OHKOs after ink damage or single hits from your teammates.

The Special is fine for SZ, surely? It charges pretty quickly if I'm constantly bailing out the Zone(s) and can always buy a few seconds, which works better in this mode where it's beneficial to have opponents stuck at their side.

And no, my comment about not using the bucket itself wasn't too accurate - relatively speaking, yeah, I didn't slosh as much as toss out a couple of bombs and recharge, but it was necessary for making the initial push and any zone recoveries. In that case, it just comes down to my weapon preferences, and, at the moment, this is the only Burst Bomb weapon I use (which changes in a couple of hours when the Grim releases, sure).
Ah good, though pure burst bombs can be pretty fun, though I'd only do that in turf war of course!

From what I've seen most people go all or none with the defense ups so you'd need to use a lot more strength to counter those builds. Also now that a far hit from a Burst Bomb deals 25 damage, I can't think of any weapons that deal less than that, which is just enough for the Slosher with some damage up to OHKO.

I mean, I'd always prefer a different special, but you gotta work with what ya got! Still wouldn't use ability slots on it though, they're best off enhancing the best parts of this weapon. Besides the Slosher charges it pretty fast and has light special depletion so what more do ya need!

Hey, whatever works, I'm not judging! :D

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Ah good, though pure burst bombs can be pretty fun, though I'd only do that in turf war of course!
I did that once, before the ink cost nerf, with the classic Splattershot. It really taught me a lot! I probably made loads of enemies (of my teammates), though.
From what I've seen most people go all or none with the defense ups so you'd need to use a lot more strength to counter those builds.
Ah, okay. I've had a suspicion that that may be the case but hearing it directly from someone else is helpful, so I'll bear it in mind (i.e. stop building for the 1 Def training dummy) from now on.
Also now that a far hit from a Burst Bomb deals 25 damage, I can't think of any weapons that deal less than that, which is just enough for the Slosher with some damage up to OHKO.
Yep. So just a couple of Subs of Damage seem to suffice, then. In that case, I'll probably substitute some out with Swim Speed next time I try this weapon.
Still wouldn't use ability slots on it though, they're best off enhancing the best parts of this weapon.
By sheer coincidence, if I remember correctly, of the 'mystery slots' in my above set, two are Special Charge, but I really consider anything past 5 Mains' worth of optimised abilities to be a bonus. I like the logic about "enhancing the best part", though. Thanks for the feedback!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I recently tried out using double :ability_bombrange: mains again, no not in place of :ability_inksaversub:, in addition to it! Not too shockingly, it works just as awesomely as it did pre-nerf! Generally 3 bombs are needed to kill, which is just the amount I have available, though afterwards I'll have no ink left, but it's totally worth it to be able to splat foes I otherwise couldn't. Plus I should be at a safe distance to recharge anyway, though if not I can throw two bombs then wait and see if they die or not before throwing the third. Thanks to the near hit radius increase 2HKOs are more likely, and thanks to the increased ink spread it's trapping potential is also improved making consecutive hit easier to land and harder to escape for the opponent.

Of course the main and obvious issue is just how much investment this all takes, a whopping 5/6 of my available ability slots as you can see below.

:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
I had to give up :ability_swimspeed: entirely, but I feel it's worth it. Swim speed makes the weapon better at what it does, but doesn't actually give the weapon new avenues like Range up does, for instance instead of getting zoned out by a Splat Pro, it'll now be the one zoning out the Splat Pro, so I feel it's the more valuable ability to have.

Gonna try using this build on other Burst Bomb weapons aswell, namely mah Dolphinose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom