• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Best gear for luna blasters

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Hey guys,

I'd like advice on the best gear for luna blasters. Pretty much my main weapon. Initially I've had a lot of damage up + cold blooded, and then ink resistance + swim speed for my shoes.

But I've heard quick respawn is good because of the high death rate typical of luna blasters. Also heard defense up is useful since luna blaster requires close combat.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Quick Respawn works nicely since trading splats is fairly common due to a Luna Blaster's delayed attacks. The more, the merrier for sure and I feel like Stealth Jump is universally effective in getting you right back into the battle without leaving you completely exposed. Some players also run Comeback as well in conjunction with Quick Respawn since you'll retain the bonuses far more often than other weapons as you're constantly respawning.

I'm not quite sure what good Damage Up will do for you unless you're running the Neo and you're utilizing the Splat Bomb combo. I imagine it's also useful to counter Defense Up from dropping your HTK to 3 but you can still retain 2 with no Damage Ups if you're at least putting more accuracy in one of the shots. Cold-blooded is nice, but I think it doesn't play much of a role if you're already up in your opponent's faces. Swim Speed is nice but I've usually used aerial momentum as a means of dodging/attacking opponents and Stealth Jump to return to the battle; not so much swimming.

And maybe it's just my preference and experiences, but I haven't seen the benefits of Ink Resistance on a Luna Blaster since your shots can already reliably ink your feet while hopping and if you're out of your squid form, you're probably already easy prey for any weapon that outranges you. One way or another, I like having Stealth Jump a little too much to replace it with Ink Resistance. Still, I'm quite interested to learn of the benefits of Ink Resistance since I rarely run the ability.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
But I've heard quick respawn is good because of the high death rate typical of luna blasters. Also heard defense up is useful since luna blaster requires close combat.
Quick respawn is wonderful for Luna blasters and I'd recommend stacking as much as you are able. Pairing it with comeback and stealth jump can lead to amazing results. Of course that means a pure shirt and shiny shoes but there are people kind enough to let you order their gear if you can find them.
Defense up on the other hand, as a Luna blaster you should avoid it as it takes too many slots to be useful (slots better used elsewhere with a Luna) and is more effective with longer ranged weapons.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
You'll find some good builds in this thread:
http://squidboards.com/threads/the-what-do-i-use-with-this-weapon-build-compendium.19608/

As for what I would personally say, for the normal, I'd recommend :ability_runspeed:,:ability_specialcharge:,:ability_specialsaver:,:ability_inksaversub:,:ability_damage:,:ability_ninjasquid: and maybe :ability_bombsniffer:. For the Neo, I'd say :ability_runspeed:,:ability_bombrange:,:ability_specialduration:,:ability_quicksuperjump:,:ability_swimspeed:,:ability_tenacity: and :ability_openinggambit:. Run Speed Up should be necessary on both Luna Blasters because of the short range of the main weapon, but Swim Speed Up should only be used on the Neo because it's much more agressive and less sneaky. Special support should be on both weapons, especially Special Charge Up for the Inkzooka on the normal variant (I would recommend Special Charge Up to pretty much every Inkzooka weapon, except maybe the Aerospray MG and Tentatek Splattershot and MAYBE not the Forge Splattershot Pro). But see the thread above for definitive answers, since I don't use either Luna Blaster too often. :p

tazz

Inkster Jr.
A blend of:ability_comeback::ability_swimspeed::ability_stealthjump::ability_quickrespawn::ability_coldblooded: according to your preference is standard, with :ability_bombrange::ability_damage::ability_defenseup::ability_inkresistance: also being options

@HappyBear801 I don't think that :ability_openinggambit::ability_ninjasquid::ability_runspeed::ability_specialduration: and:ability_bombsniffer: are really viable on the Luna​

s_miyahon

Inkster Jr.
I usually use
Comeback (x3 Quick Respawn) Squid Nordic
Haunt (x3 Damage Up) Squidmark LS
Stealth Jump (x3 Swim Speed Up) Cream Hi-Tops

Comeback to return to mid faster, plus to have more impact when you get there, quick respawn because yeah, you're gonna die a lot. I use Haunt because seeing that you're gonna die constantly, it's a free Echolocator. I generally switch between Haunt and Cold Blooded, both are pretty good for Luna, but that's your choice. Damage Up is nice for the extra blast radius, Stealth Jump is amazing for those surprise kills you can get from it, plus you can get to the action closer without getting punished. And Swim Speed Up is amazing in general, so you definitely want that

ann_squid

Inkling
I use the Neo, and here's what I can give as advice

On splatzones and rain maker I usually have Red hi tops with 3 swim subs/ink resistance so I can move around

Sometimes I stack up on special up and damage up to become more deadly with my Luna Blaster, and as for TC, I usually run quick respawns and 2 damage up main / 2 subs so that I can splat more people at once

Lance17

Inkling
I use the Luna Blaster Neo a lot and I mostly like using bomb range up, quick respawn, and ink saver.:)

Mystrite

Full Squid
NNID
toffee_too_too
This is the most recent Dynamo/Luna kit , since your most likely trading or dying a lot so your death isn't as much as a debt to your team:

:ability_comeback::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: | and for dynamo: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:( Lunas no longer have much of a benefit from Dmg other than countering Def which is really not needed)
:ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: (For Neo) and for regular - :ability_quickrespawn::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Since u get splatted a lot its good to get gear that gives u a benefit post splat namely stuff with comeback and haunt. Comeback maxes out a whole bunch of stuff for a little while after respawn and haunt is a one man echo locator. Well worth it.

Inkmines trigger after being splatted as well.

My set up for tower and rainmaker is the squid nordic with come back and 3x quick respawn, squidmark ls for haunt with 3x damage up and and cherry kicks with stealth jump 2 run speed up and one quick respawn. Make getting splatted not such a bad thing :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom