Best Gear Setups.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
What in your opinion is the best type of gear when using a certain weapon? Stuff like does it favor defense or offense and such.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I Generally fine tune my gear depending of my weapon in ranked ; so far ; Feet is ALWAY ink resistance ; with either swim speed ; run speed or ink recovery as sub (aka what the 3 variant brand give)
Body is either cold blooded for then I play charger or ninja squid then I play something more offensive like roller or luna blaster as for now ; sub abilities vary depending of the weapon
Head I generally the one that have to most variety for me ; My bobble hat with quick jump in main slot and 3 ink saver(main) in sub slot is the most common one I use in that slot. (for klak-on roller and custom E-liter)

TheBlindFreak

Inkling
NNID
TheBlindFreak
From my experience, ink resistance on shoes is pretty much a must have. Beyond that, the other skills I've found useful for general setup is runs peed, swim speed, ink saver main, and ink recovery.

I'm considering trying out ninja squid soon, which will probably be useful since I mainly play with the inkbrush.

Special duration up seems useful if your weapon has krakon or bubbler. I don't usually use it since I mainly play with an ink brush and it doesn't do much for inkstrike.

Damage up and Defense up seem like absolute garbage. Defense up only raises the shots to kill on a handful of guns by 1 and only if you have 2 mains of it. Damage up only counteracts Defense up since it can never lower the shots to kill on any weapon.

Bomb sniffer, quick jump, cold blooded, and others don't really click with me. But I'm sure they could be put to use. All in all, most of this is just up to preference.

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
From my experience, ink resistance on shoes is pretty much a must have. Beyond that, the other skills I've found useful for general setup is runs peed, swim speed, ink saver main, and ink recovery.

I'm considering trying out ninja squid soon, which will probably be useful since I mainly play with the inkbrush.

Special duration up seems useful if your weapon has krakon or bubbler. I don't usually use it since I mainly play with an ink brush and it doesn't do much for inkstrike.

Damage up and Defense up seem like absolute garbage. Defense up only raises the shots to kill on a handful of guns by 1 and only if you have 2 mains of it. Damage up only counteracts Defense up since it can never lower the shots to kill on any weapon.

Bomb sniffer, quick jump, cold blooded, and others don't really click with me. But I'm sure they could be put to use. All in all, most of this is just up to preference.
Actually, defense up and help fighting .52 gals since it makes their weapon a 3 hit rather then a 2 hit

TheBlindFreak

Inkling
NNID
TheBlindFreak
Actually, defense up and help fighting .52 gals since it makes their weapon a 3 hit rather then a 2 hit
My mistake. I don't think I bothered to use the .52 when I was toying with defense up and attack up. I don't use it at all. In which case, it's probably the only situation that I'd say attack up is worth it.

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
I use ink saver main always, and generally swim speed up for when super jumping is unsafe. In tower control especially, I use tenacity, because there's less inking to fill up the special gauge, and the bubbler on the classic squiffer really helps to hold the tower. I'm currently working on moving swim speed up to sub slots so that I can use ink resistance up.

Also: Damage up will reduce charge time on chargers instead of increasing damage. I still prefer other abilities, though.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
I think ideally I'd want a Ink Saver (main) hat with 3x Ink Saver (Sub), a Ninja Squid shirt with 3x Run Speed Up or 3x Damage Up and an Ink Resistance pair of shoes with 3x Swim Speed Up.

I keep hearing that I should try Damage Up to get splats at lower charges, and Run Speed Up isn't very good for Chargers because you can't move while shooting. But I feel like either would be nice. Plus, Ninja/Run Speed would still be great for when I do occasionally use a Roller, Blaster or Shotter to maneuver while attacking.

Do I have those things now, though? Nah. But it's nice to be working towards something. And looking at which brands help with which subs is making that easier.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71923500

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
Also: Damage up will reduce charge time on chargers instead of increasing damage. I still prefer other abilities, though.
Really? I was told it just helped get splats at lower levels of charges, like for emergencies.

If it reduces charge time... That's amazing, I'd love that. Gonna have to get something and test it out!

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I think the most well rounded set-up is:

:ability_tenacity:
:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

:ability_coldblooded:
:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: / :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

:ability_inkresistance:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

For chargers or rollers you can play to their strengths a bit more with :ability_damage: & :ability_inkrecovery:, but aside from that I'd say that set-up is probably the best right now.

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary

:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: / :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

This is a great idea! I'll have to toy around with rolling the sub slots so I get this. Also Ninja Squid might help instead of Cold Blooded, due to the fact that I run into very few position trackers.

Phobos

Inkling Commander

This is reasonably close to my standard set for ranked:
I used to use tenacity with special saver, but then switched to combining the latter with special charge up, as I find the specials seem to come more quickly this way. I also used to use ink resistance, but haven't found it so essential since the nerf, and so prefer the combo of run speed + swim speed, rather than one of them + ink resistance. However, the utility of the shirt varies across lobbies - it depends if there are a lot of echo-locators around. If the circumstances permit, then I'll swap the shirt for this:
The advantage conferred by the speed boost is pretty notable - reaching key locations ahead everyone else, and more easily outrunning/moving out of range.

This is for use with the Tentatek - I have another set for the Splash-o-Matic - and suits my preference for being highly mobile - if you're more cautious and like to play more sneakily/camp then there are better options.

Last edited:

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
For my Splattershot Jr., Krak-On, and .96 Gal Deco I use :head_eye006:-:ability_specialduration:,clothes_vest000-:ability_swimspeed:, and :shoes_slo002:-:ability_inksaversub: It's a nice looking outfit with abilites that complement the weapon extremely well. For my Dual Squelcher I use :head_ncp003:-:ability_tenacity:, :clothes_vest002:-:ability_coldblooded:, and :shoes_slo000:-:ability_defenseup: mostly just for looks and because I like cold-blooded.

TBH I honest, I can't stop buying clothes and will probably get more after the update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom