• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Best Special Now? Worst One?

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
This has most likely been a subject talked about before but I haven't seen it. I really want to know people's opinion of the best special in the game. In Sploon one, specials like Kraken and Bubbles were good no matter what situation. In Sploon 2 though, there doesn't seem to be a special that stands above the rest. I thought Ink Armor would be like that OP panic special everyone uses but it isn't that hard to deal with. My favorite special is Stringray btw as funny as that is since I know it was considered the worst special for a while. I don't think that's the case any more since it's really good on Tower Control. Opinions?

flamingoezz

Inkling
overall the new patch seemed to even them all out, but i seem to get killed by inkstorm the most. i use kits with bubble blower, which may be one of the worst. it is good for gaining territory or blocking bombs in tower control, but rarely kills.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Before the 1.3.0 update, I would say Ink Armor and the Inkjet were the top specials in the game. Ink Armor was pretty diffiuclt to deal with, and can be chained to almost always a win in a teamfight against a tream who didn't have a lot of Ink Armor weapons (which was part of the reason why the Tri-Slosher, a long with other Ink Armor carriers like the N-Zap 85 and Splattershot Jr were so popular at that time).

For the Inkjet before the 1.3.0 update, it was a very solid special and can be down right devastating in the right hands and the weapons the special was on were very good as well (like Tentatek Splattershot, Octobrush, and Custom Blaster). On top of that, Inkjet had good synergy with Ink Armor making it pretty difficult for most weapons to take an Ink Amored Inkjet down.

As for the worst specials before the 1.3.0 update, from what I've read and heard from various players it was the Stingray and the Baller (before the 1.2.0 update).

After the 1.3.0 update, Ink Armor seem fell out of favor a bit (it's still a decent special but not necessary for a team comp) since the nerfs and I honestly feel like Inkjet got overnerfed and some players seemed to had stopped using weapons with the special (some dropped the Tentatek Splattershot for the Vanilla Splattershot).

For the Baller and Stingray after the 1.3.0 update, the tide has turned for them. The Stingray is no longer "the worst special" and it's a pretty good long ranged special that does particularly well in Tower Control or on curtain maps like Port similar to the Killer Wail special in Splat 1. The Baller (imo) is currently the best special right now, the buffs made it pretty strong and many folks who scrim had taken a liking to it in their team comps as of lately (even to the point where the Areospray RG is viable since you can get the Baller special in 6-7 seconds at the start of the game with some special charge up). I feel like the increase to it's blast radius and the increased minimum damage caused by the explosion is what really made higher level players start using weapons with the Baller special (like the L-3, .52 Gal, and Areospray RG).

Every other special is somewhere in between Bomb Rush, Splashdown, Tenta Missiles, and Ink Storm are all strong specials and do a good job at what they do (I don't have much of an opinion of the Bubble Blower special due to my lack of experience with it) .

Padre

Pro Squid
Bubble Blower is probably worst.
Ink Armor is stoll good, but quite even to some right now. Balance is pretty good.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
I'm gonna go farther than that and tier it.
Best: Stingray
2. Inkstorm
3. Ink Armor
4. Bomb Rush (all being counted as one)
5. Baller
6. Tenta Missiles
7. Splashdown
8. Inkjet
9. Bubble Blower

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I can't decide on a best one, since it depends on the mode, map, and circumstances it's used on.

For the worst, I would say the bubble blower. Even as someone who likes it, and had some very great strategies for the special when it first came out, the playerbase has gotten wise to the special in general, and now it's fairly harmless to enemies. At best, it's a mobile splash wall that can protect the tower fairly well and inconvenience the enemy team long enough to push an objective a bit. I expect the special to get a substantial buff in the future.

Clawford

Full Squid
NNID
Clawford
i like running bubble blower on rainmaker to break the shield faster. I could see it being useful if you play with friends often, but not on solo queue.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I actually forgot about the Bubble Blower special! Yeah......................... It seems easy to avoid and fairly harmless. I wonder how they would buff it?

Foxtrot

Full Squid
The best is without a doubt balls currently. Its defense is high, leaves a trail of ink, does massive damage upon explosion, and is great for crowd control. Its good in almost all ranked modes too. The close second is the tenta missiles in my opinion. Mostly because I find me and my team mates dying to them frequently.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Baller is incredibly good right now, to the point that it may well get nerfed again. A ball with almost the same health as the rainmaker shield is ridiculous in the hands of players. Only a concerted team effort can reliably break ballers right now, if you're facing the opponent one on one it's better to just run.

As for the worst, I agree with ElecMaw about the bubble blower. It's a fine distraction, but actually accomplishing anything with it can be tricky. It can even be detrimental! One time I failed to kill an enemy at a crucial moment because my ally started blowing bubbles directly in front of me. We lost partly because of that.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I have no idea why they buffed baller and ink storm. They were already great (and maybe a little overpowered) before the buffs. They both need to get scaled back a little. I say this, and I often use both myself. They didn't need buffed at all.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
As much as I love it, I have to agree with everyone and say that the Bubble Blower is the worst special (but imo the stingray is still not far behind it). I'm not really sure about the best special, but I'm inclined to say that it's still the Ink Armour - sure it got a nerf; but that mostly made in line with the other specials.

Also maybe I missed a memo or something, but I think the Baller is still pretty mediocre. If it is as good as people say it is; then I've seen almost no one use it at its maximum potental.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
The inkjet seems to be the general best special imo.
Can clear zones and the tower, get the rainmaker carier, help with a push, defend, break choke-points formations etc.
Just take long range attackers in consideration, otherwise expect to be shot out of the air.

As for worst, i also say bubble blower.
It still has great niches like a advanced 'splash wall' wich is good for zones and tower control and special up actually has a major effect on it imo.
But its still pretty underwhelming otherwise.
And its the only special where a teammate can screw you up more or less, e.g. Blowing bubles in face while you're being a long range sentry.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
The baller is currently my personal anti-favorite. I can't break through their shields and whenever I see them coming for me I'm praying that I'm not standing within their explosion radius which seems to vary depending on my karma of the day... combine that with the ability to climb walls and a weapon decent enough at turfing or special ups and I will burst into tears. Okay, not really, but you get my drift.

The Sting Ray is certainly a great area denial special and very effective in Tower Control. Other than that it still depends on luck and map on how effective it can be - but it doesn't hurt to extend your reach here and then, drive away crucial players from the opposing team or something like that.

Tenta Missiles are still a great special imho, punishing cuddling enemies and also fairly effective at area denial. Paired with the right weapon and a satan behind the controller it can dish out missile rain from hell.

Bomb rushes are still a great zoning tool.... so there's nothing more I can add to this. The Ink Jet seems to be still fairly deadly in the right hands even after the nerf but it's lost lots of its former glory.

Edit: Lolz, completely forgot about the Ink Storm.
That one could easily be one of the best specials currrently. Stack two on top of eachother and claim full control over an area and splatting everyone caught in the trap.

....which leaves me at the Bubble Blower, arguably the worst special for now.

One time I failed to kill an enemy at a crucial moment because my ally started blowing bubbles directly in front of me.
Sounds familiar... :D

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm not sure which the most viable/best is at the moment, but I can say for certain the ones I do the best with are the Ink Jet and the Tenta Missiles.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
The Sting Ray is certainly a great area denial special and very effective in Tower Control. Other than that it still depends on luck and map on how effective it can be - but it doesn't hurt to extend your reach here and then, drive away crucial players from the opposing team or something like that.
I maintain that the one thing holding back the Sting Ray right now is the inability to cancel out of it and/or shoot your main weapon while using it. I can shoot while using a bomb rush, but not Sting Ray, which has even less short range ability than a bomb rush? That's insane.

Either move the Sting Ray "shoot" button to the bomb button (so we can shoot our main weapon in between Sting Ray bursts) or (my preference) make the bomb button be a single-use melee Sting Ray sword swipe that cancels out of the special after a single swing of the Sting Ray sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom