• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Better ways to obtain particular abilities in the next Splatoon

CM86

Pro Squid
Hello. I know this topic has been talked about in other topics before, but I thought I would just create a separate thread on it instead. I apologize if there already exists one, and I just missed it. If that is the case, please ignore this topic all together.

I think that it is no surprise the mechanics behind getting abilities via roulette (Spyke rerolling) is looked down upon as an annoying game mechanic in general. Here is why. First off, it promotes heavy abuse on save scumming. Don't get me wrong, I can not say that I am against save scumming because I do it myself, but when you think about it, did the game creators really expect that squids would continuously keep overwriting there file until they got the desired result? I think not. It kind of takes away from the game a little. It is not the "cheating" aspect I am talking about. It is more the, I have to copy my save file to a flash drive and then overwrite the wii u memory to build better gear aspect. Never did I expect myself doing this when Splatoon released. It just feels like when I build gear, I spend more time in the wii u settings then the actual game. The obvious solution would be, don't do it, but I can't help it. I have a desire to get pure gear and this is the best way.

My second problem with the roulette method is that it usually wastes valuable sea snails (unless you save scum of course). I just feel like waiting a month to get a handful of sea snails only to just use them all and not get what I want is a major disappoint in general (and yes, I know this is avoided through save scumming). I can only imagine the frustration for people who never save scummed before or refuse to save scum.

So what am I aiming at here? It is to find a different system future Splatoon games could potentially follow in order to completely rid save scumming out of the equation and focus more on the game itself vs the console settings. I think I came up with a decent system. First off, permanent main abilities as well as 1,2,3 star gear stays. I never really had a problem with these mechanics. I would also keep the whole, leveling up ability slots to unlock question marks aspect. Now here is what I would change:

Once a piece of gear has been completely leveled up where all the question marks are gone (and it has three abilities), you may do the following:

1. For one sea snail, you may change one slot to the ability that is 5x likely to occur or equivalently 30k coins.

So in this case, assuming you wanted to do this three times as you didn't get the 5x likely ability in any slots, it would cost a grand total of 3 sea snails or 90k coins.

2. For 5 sea snails, you may change one slot to a neutral ability or equivalently 150k.

So in this case, assuming you wanted to do this three times as you didn't get the neutral ability you wanted in any of the three slots, it would cost a grand total of 15 sea snails or 450k coins (So one splatfest could potentially let you build a piece of pure gear).

3. For 10 sea snails, you may change one slot to an unfavored ability or equivalently 300k.

So in this case, assuming you wanted to do this three times as you didn't get the unfavored ability you wanted in any of the three slots, it would cost a grand total of 30 sea snails or 900k coins.

I like this system because it completely takes advantage of the super sea snail mechanic while also allowing squids to build there desired gear. One question may be, why can't we pick any ability for just the same amount of sea snails? Well, I tried to keep the flavor of brands into the mix as I really do like them and would prefer that it is not just limited to the roulette mechanic. These mechanics would also render save scumming completely useless and make squids play the game more then anything (to collect coins and super sea snails).

Thoughts? Anyone have any other ideas?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It seems nowadays most people just use Splathax, considering how easy it is to mod the Wii U now (with Nintendo likely not pushing any patch given the Switch).

I've never used it, but as far as regular ideas go I have no idea. The ones you listed seem to be pretty decent ideas, but like I said I don't think Nintendo plans on updating anything any longer.

CM86

Pro Squid
It seems nowadays most people just use Splathax, considering how easy it is to mod the Wii U now (with Nintendo likely not pushing any patch given the Switch).

I've never used it, but as far as regular ideas go I have no idea. The ones you listed seem to be pretty decent ideas, but like I said I don't think Nintendo plans on updating anything any longer.
Ya, I did not expect my idea to ever be implemented on Wii u Splatoon, just future releases of it.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
This is exactly the idea i had in mind when it came to how abilities should work in the sequel (except a bit cheaper :p). I quite like the brand aspect since it builds upon the world of splatoon. I think at the moment most people would prefer abilities (both main and sub) being seperate from gear and other customization, but i'd be fine with either tbh.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I think a simple method would be to get rid of the 3 subs, have only a single sub that is equal to or slightly less than the main ability. That would make gear easier to deal with, even with a grindy rolling system.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If you need hacks to make a game enjoyable, something's terribly wrong. We're talking about SSBB's tripping levels of wrong.
I personally think they should've let players freely pick their abilities independently of their gear, and if you really need your gambling in your game make it so rare exclusive fashion items can only be obtained from Spyke. (Basically, giving him a Snail gives you a random item some of which are unobtainable from the regular shops)
This is really something that Nintendo should've copied from other games, where you can pick your loadouts freely but you have to work hard to get unique skins and the like. At least the skins themselves aren't affecting gameplay, Spyke himself does.

Gatsby

Pro Squid
If you need hacks to make a game enjoyable, something's terribly wrong. We're talking about SSBB's tripping levels of wrong.
I personally think they should've let players freely pick their abilities independently of their gear, and if you really need your gambling in your game make it so rare exclusive fashion items can only be obtained from Spyke. (Basically, giving him a Snail gives you a random item some of which are unobtainable from the regular shops)
This is really something that Nintendo should've copied from other games, where you can pick your loadouts freely but you have to work hard to get unique skins and the like. At least the skins themselves aren't affecting gameplay, Spyke himself does.
Love this idea!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom