• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Bloblobber, is it too strong?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Any tournament results yet? From the few matches I've seen it wasn't even used, but I don't actively follow the tournament scene even though I should.

Padre

Pro Squid
Its really weak against strafing rushes. I am surprised how useful it still can be, not total junk. :)
I dont see it used by pros. The archs are too slow, its bad at slaying. Somekind of an backround support to protect, sure.
Situational like everything in this game.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I only have SUPERFRESH with three weapons, and this is one of them--and it's the one I reached it with the quickest. I'm not sure it's a great choice in ranked (maybe Rainmaker), and it's greatly affected by the map, but it's great in Turf Wars. Definitely eager to see the alt kit.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
I only have SUPERFRESH with three weapons, and this is one of them--and it's the one I reached it with the quickest. I'm not sure it's a great choice in ranked (maybe Rainmaker), and it's greatly affected by the map, but it's great in Turf Wars. Definitely eager to see the alt kit.
In my experience it performs more than adequate in all gamemodes apart from maybe CB. It's good at the least at forcing people off the tower in TC, In RM it can easily stop teams from popping the barrier until backup arrives, It's ability to deny an area makes it good at SZ both on the defensive and when it's contested, In Clams it performs average since it can't ink paths and isn't overly speedy. These aren't facts just what I've noticed in my experience.

Fearful

Inkling
NNID
Fearful
Switch Friend Code
SW-1738-7321-0806
its not overpowered, per se, just, above the bell curve, and easy, making it obnoxious to deal with since they seem to hunt in packs.
however, it is poorly balanced for skill/risk/reward, so yes, it should probably be nerfed in some aspect, preferably to its ease of use, more than power, since other weapons are quite dominant, yet are still "fair" per se, and i would probably nerf its hitbox size, and make the bubbles do less damage once they bounce off of walls, but ONLY walls since the bubbles still move quite slowly, so having them do less damage off the floor would probably be overkill honestly.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
After a long weekend of play, I'm even more in love with this thing. It's fantastic in Port Mackerel: the walls block off lanes, and the bubbles clear them down to Splat Charger range. I've gotten so many kills when an enemy with a power clam or the Rainmaker is charging down a lane, have to stop when a wall pops up right in front of them, and then get blitzed. Or sometimes they're moving too fast and just kill themselves on the wall.

And I'm using it with Thermal Ink, which is just amazing: I can scatter bubbles over walls, and while I probably won't get a kill (though I do, sometimes, especially with Ink Storm), I'm very likely to tag them with at least one hit and light them up. And Thermal Ink lasts a very long time now. It really helps anticipate enemy movement and throw the slow-moving bubbles in that direction.

More fun: you're facing the wrong direction and start taking hits from behind. While running away, lob some blobs at the wall in front of you. If you're lucky, you can kill your pursuer on the rebound (though sometimes posthumously).

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
After a long weekend of play, I'm even more in love with this thing. It's fantastic in Port Mackerel: the walls block off lanes, and the bubbles clear them down to Splat Charger range. I've gotten so many kills when an enemy with a power clam or the Rainmaker is charging down a lane, have to stop when a wall pops up right in front of them, and then get blitzed. Or sometimes they're moving too fast and just kill themselves on the wall.

And I'm using it with Thermal Ink, which is just amazing: I can scatter bubbles over walls, and while I probably won't get a kill (though I do, sometimes, especially with Ink Storm), I'm very likely to tag them with at least one hit and light them up. And Thermal Ink lasts a very long time now. It really helps anticipate enemy movement and throw the slow-moving bubbles in that direction.

More fun: you're facing the wrong direction and start taking hits from behind. While running away, lob some blobs at the wall in front of you. If you're lucky, you can kill your pursuer on the rebound (though sometimes posthumously).
If you're near a corner, throw a wall and bounce it off the sides, then hide in it and wildly shoot the 2 sides. I get more kills than expected like that.

One FM

Inkster Jr.
I don't they should have a weapon that requires such little skill to have such a range with one-shot-kill capabilities.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I don't they should have a weapon that requires such little skill to have such a range with one-shot-kill capabilities.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. This isn't a Splattershot, Blaster, or Roller. The Blobbler does require really good tracking and positioning to not get oofed by most weapons. The newest patch directly addresses your complaint.
  • Increased ink consumption by roughly 14%.
  • Reduced damage dealt to the Rainmaker barrier by roughly 17%.
  • Reduced damage dealt to an opponent’s umbrella by roughly 20%.
  • Reduced damage dealt to an opponent’s Splash Wall by roughly 20%.
The increased ink consumption means it can't be spammed as much, and the reduced object damage so they have to play more strategically. I wouldn't have nerfed those pieces.

AisforAnon

Inkling
it needs a bit of falloff as well. like -2 per bubble per bounce or something. just a little so that at extremely long range they still can't get the stupid chance splats

@The Salamander King one of the few weapons that is amazing with thermal with its bubbles coupled with rain.

NekoBlast

Inkling
Feels okey at higher ranks, totally OP at lower ranks.
Almost every other weapon get a kill faster than the Blob in a skilled player. But for the lower skill level, it is devastating.
It is the type of weapon that is difficult to balance: it is just hard to please everyone.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. This isn't a Splattershot, Blaster, or Roller. The Blobbler does require really good tracking and positioning to not get oofed by most weapons. The newest patch directly addresses your complaint.
  • Increased ink consumption by roughly 14%.
  • Reduced damage dealt to the Rainmaker barrier by roughly 17%.
  • Reduced damage dealt to an opponent’s umbrella by roughly 20%.
  • Reduced damage dealt to an opponent’s Splash Wall by roughly 20%.
The increased ink consumption means it can't be spammed as much, and the reduced object damage so they have to play more strategically. I wouldn't have nerfed those pieces.
Spot on. It isn't as scrubby as certain blasters or rollers. Far from it.

Very effective in certain situations but if you don't time your attack properly, it leaves you pretty open. Plus it isn't as assured or consistent as other weapons. There are enough weaknesses there for it to not be considered OP.

Vernaltick

Full Squid
I find that with the weapon I use (Kensa Splattershot.) That a dodging/starving approach works very well if I keep my distance.

Edit:not starving

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom