Bomb Range Up

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Of course there have been squid science videos and multiple threads dedicated to this subject of the usefulness of this ability however I lately noticed another cool trick to this ability that may make people reconsider it practicality.

I examined in the testing room what bomb range up increases in terms range to ink mines since it doesn't gain any range towards the bomb throw and noticed this. Bomb range up not only increases the range of the weapons throw but increases the blast radius (and therefore the area of max, medium, and minimal damage) of the sub weapon itself.

This doesn't increase it by all that much usually 1 to 2 inkling ft. more that the normal size (though I theorize it can be increased further with more bomb range up. This increase the radius most for inkmines and sprinklers though this blast radius increase for burst bombs and splat bombs is enough to throw off most players.

Personally I feel this makes weapons like the :wst_shot_explight00: rapid blaster, vanilla .96 gal, kelp splat and :wst_charge_long00: vanilla eliter more viable since you don't need as waste as much time to splat opponents since they will be weaker to attacks

The only weapons that don't benefit from this are the beckons, splash walls (for obvious reasons) , and seekers (though further analysis of burst radius is needed). Anyways I hope this help you out here who are thinking about with bomb range up sets to make further use of this amazing ability.

Untested: :pointsensor::disruptor:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I don't think so, just tested with Burst Bombs and their ink spread and maximum hitbox range were the same with 0 range ups and 3 mains 3 subs.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I will retest the results and try to record what I got to make sure what I got wasn't a fluke

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Bomb Range increases the initial velocity of everything that is thrown, except Sprinklers.

This means that Walls and Seekers actually do travel a bit further through the air when thrown, and there are some really specific throws that are only possible with Bomb Range, but none of them that I know of are actually useful and they require you to invest a ton of your gear into Bomb Range in order to make them go a few inches higher. Basically not worth it.

The one major thing about Bomb Range that people don't realize is that for impact splash damage subs (Burst Bombs and Disruptors), with Bomb Range your bomb actually moves through the air faster and is therefore easier to hit people with.

Generally speaking, you never want more than one main of Bomb Range on anything that's not Burst Bomb or Disruptor, because one main makes grenades travel really far, you can generally hit any Splash Wall safely, and many (not all) important grenade throws in the game only require one main to be possible with Power Throwing (swimming forward and short hopping as you throw in order to increase its velocity by about 13%). The only time you want to run more is for very specific grenade throws or wallbreaking situations.

Burst Bombs and Disruptors can use 1-3 mains worth of Bomb Range because they can actively and constantly harass, outrange, and even kill enemies with superior range by precisely placing hitboxes from unfair distances. The grenade throws that require more Bomb Range are now worth going for because people are less able to avoid your bombs. And again, Bomb Range makes them travel faster and it's therefore easier to hit people with them. The other bombs are too avoidable and can't be thrown often enough to justify more outside of really specific stuff.

*Edit*

Just remember that, when building loadouts in this game, try to have as many specific reasons to do things and specific numbers you need to do them before filling the remainder with what you feel comfortable with. Bomb Range included.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom