• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Booyah Battle 4 Results/Feedback

FailureKnight

Inkling
NNID
Failure_Knight
large yugioh tournaments, which do have a 40 minute match time limit, don't run that many rounds in one day.
Magic: the Gathering tournaments, which have a default 50 minute match time limit, do. The longest event I attended ran 11 rounds of swiss in a single day. However, that was a 13 hour event in which the judges and TO kept strict rules in regards to slow play, time extensions, and time between rounds. Even so, nobody was honestly happy with the situation, least of all the top 8 players who had to come back in less than 8 hours the following day to start quarterfinals.

I think a lot of credit is due to BestTeaMaker for wanting to experiment to find a format that will make everyone happy. Unfortunately I think that BB4 just did a little too much. It was a bit ambitious to try to cater to all of the following:

- Less competitive players who wanted tournament experience (the primary beneficiaries of Swiss as opposed to DE)

- Competitive players who wanted a heavier weight to their games with more skilled opponents (the beneficiaries of DE Top8)

- Players who wanted a one-day event

- Players from time zones spanning 11+ hours difference

Now add in the difficulties of frequent disconnections as experienced in Splatoon and you have a perfect recipe for how the tournament ended up going down.

At some point, one of these things has to give. Even if the tournament had imposed the strictest rules for disconnections and time limit violations, six rounds of swiss plus 4 or 5 rounds of Top 8 double elimination is going to take a long time.

If it's just going to be a one-day event, then either Swiss has to go in favor double elimination (which even then is going to be 8 or 9 rounds with ~48 players), or we must accept that the tournament is going to be prohibitive for people in certain time zones.

Otherwise I believe a two-day event is required to cater to all time zones and simultaneously include the top-tier teams plus all those who aren't quite at that level yet and are looking for a good tournament to further their development (the very reason I chose BB4 as my first to participate in.)

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
tbh i really hope theres some sort of DC rule or something it sucks when the whole lobby crashes ;;

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
tbh i really hope theres some sort of DC rule or something it sucks when the whole lobby crashes ;;
There was a DC rule but the only time it was mentioned to me was when there was a DC in one of our matches like 3 minutes in on the enemy's end and because of the late DC, we took the match. I think the rule was something like "if there's a DC within the first minute, matches will be redone and all players must stop but if it's after 3 minutes, team who didn't DC, win the match" which if that was the case, I feel bad for the team that lost the game to us over that. A DC should mean a redo unless it's like 3 DCs in a row, then maybe a new rule about dropping the match needs to come in

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
There was a DC rule but the only time it was mentioned to me was when there was a DC in one of our matches like 3 minutes in on the enemy's end and because of the late DC, we took the match. I think the rule was something like "if there's a DC within the first minute, matches will be redone and all players must stop but if it's after 3 minutes, team who didn't DC, win the match" which if that was the case, I feel bad for the team that lost the game to us over that. A DC should mean a redo unless it's like 3 DCs in a row, then maybe a new rule about dropping the match needs to come in
I think what sucked was it was overtime and literally 3 of us dc'd and 2 of them - everyone lost connection to host - but they took the match because overtime and we couldn't redo - I understand why, but it still sort of sucks. I think you should be able to redo at least one match if anyone drops for any reason - but not after that.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
I think what sucked was it was overtime and literally 3 of us dc'd and 2 of them - everyone lost connection to host - but they took the match because overtime and we couldn't redo - I understand why, but it still sort of sucks.
Ouch, that sucks. Yeah I think it should be like one DC per round/game is allowed and will result in a redo, not just a DC will result in a loss if it's after X amount of minutes. The team we took the match from was fine the first 2 games and the last one was close and for all we know, their internet could have dropped from like a power outage or whatever. I just don't feel like it was a good call and like I said, I feel bad for them as they were doing good

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
Ouch, that sucks. Yeah I think it should be like one DC per round/game is allowed and will result in a redo, not just a DC will result in a loss if it's after X amount of minutes. The team we took the match from was fine the first 2 games and the last one was close and for all we know, their internet could have dropped from like a power outage or whatever. I just don't feel like it was a good call and like I said, I feel bad for them as they were doing good
I entirely agree with this - a team should be allowed at least one redo per set - I don't think it's fair that a DC results in a loss since we know how Splatoon is and a lot of issues can happen (lobby crash, comm error, someones internet died etc) at the most a sub can switch in, but I dont think we should be penalized for something we cant do. I think it's one thing if someone dc's but if the host dc's and the whole entire lobby crashes....

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
I entirely agree with this - at team should be allowed at least one redo per set - I don;t think it's fair that a DC results in a loss since we know how Splatoon is and a lot of issues can happen (lobby crash, comm error, someones internet died etc) at the most a sub can switch in.
We also know how Nintendo is ˢᵉʳᵛᵉʳ ᵐᵃᶦᶰᵗᵉᶰᵃᶰᶜᵉ

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
As far as time restrictions per set/rounds etc, I think the best solution is to make it clear that teams have a set time to get into a lobby (or host) it. If one of the teams is not present by that time they get DQ and lose 0-3. Obviously there's for discretion, but currently as it stands now there is no sense of urgency. In hind sight if we could have shaved off at least 30mins from the entire tournament we may have been able to finish grand finals. The longer we drag on an event the more problems its opening itself up to. Key word being "drag on", I have been advocating over the past two months that all tournaments should do at least Bo7 in all sets Quarter Finals and on. But yet the response I always get is "we don't have enough time" . I don't think any competitive team would have an issue adding more consistency to the top of the bracket in trade for a little bit of time. The biggest issue with these tournaments is constructive time.

Here is a short break down of my team's time played in BB4 from the start of Swiss round 1 to the end of Swiss round 6:
  • 17 games played in total from round 1-6 :
  • time started 1pm est , time that Swiss round 6 finished 5:30pm est, 4.5 hours:
  • 17x(5mins)= 85mins
  • 4.5x(60)=270mins
  • 85/270=.31= 69% of the time during those 4.5 hours of Swiss rounds our team was literary not in a tournament game.
In short, we need to focus on trimming unnecessary hold ups in tournaments by adding a sense of urgency. If we put like a 10-15min rule on how soon both teams need to been in a lobby to start the set it should help. As once you get both teams in a lobby the sets usually finish and run smoothly from there on, the biggest issue is usually getting teams in lobbies. If one team is not present by what ever time limit is set, we simply submit a picture and or just have a team hop in the room to check. Along with maybe making teams report to TO's when they start their set, so that the TO's know if there is a team MIA and holding up the entire tournament process. Yes DC's can have an affect on the tournaments time sheet but, we need to fix what is within our own reach.

This is directed towards all current squidboards tournaments.

Sorin

Inkling
About the tournament, it was a nice one, I just want to point out that:
- time per round during the swiss is way too much, 1 hour per round that should run for 45 min at maximum.
- time overall as well (finishing the tournament at 4am is pretty late).

Even the incredible amount of dcs because of nintendo servers, I enjoyed the tournament so GGs everyone and hopefully we can get a first place soon :p

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Not only a time limit for starting the lobby, but making it easier to find captains. It's pretty silly seeing "Round 5 go!" "Who's the captain of ___?" "____ please contact me!" "Looking for ___!" while I'm trying to search through 100+ online players for someone with my opponent's name in parenthesis after their own and then trying to decide which of them is the captain. In retrospect I might have been able to check the signup responses, but it was obvious that nobody else was doing this. I suggest publishing the list of captains along with their NNID and clearly pointing people there so the channel isn't flooded with useless laziness. It shouldn't take 3 minutes just to begin communication with the other team. That should happen within 10 seconds.

Would it also help to require a check-in/update after 3 games?

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
The tournament was great for my first tournament, I loved it and had a great time representing SND. There are a few things I want to mention though:

1. Lag rules are a sore-*** loser idea - I'm sick of reading comments about enforcing rules against laggers. During one of our games, the other team experienced disconnects and I wasn't the one hosting the match (both of our squads had mixtures of European, East Asian and American players), but later on they claimed that I lagged and cost them the game because I supposedly lagged my way to 5 kills in a row as if it didn't take ANY skill on my part (I didn't experience lag and they moved perfectly fine on my screen, on top of that we didn't experience a DC once on our team during the whole tournament). Lag isn't something that should be ruled against by a TO unless the suspected lagger is the host, in which case you change hosts, problem solved. Trying to report laggers during a tournament wastes too much time, assess its viability with cost-benefit reasoning and the benefit of 1 or 2 laggers being removed at the cost of 45 mins of wasted time making a decision is NOT worth it.

2. Junior and Senior tournaments are needed - these tournaments run waaaaaaay too long. There needs to be a division of the teams if there are more than 32 teams signed up. This would solve time issues, provide fairer competition to all participants and help to rectify the skill gap between the top 12/16 teams and the rest. By the time we got to our last round, I was hungry, tired and getting a migraine from playing 5 hours of Splatoon, I love this game but expecting someone to play at their best for 6 hrs is unreasonable to the Nth degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom