• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Booyah Battle 5 Results and Feedback

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
First to address the elephant in the room: there were a lot of delays in the group stages and it definitely was not ok. I want to apologize to the teams who had to step out due to time constraints.

When we first planned this tournament, we wanted to try and attract some Japanese teams. So, with that in mind, we settled on a time and day that would do its best to accomodate Japan, US, and Europe as much as possible. However, we got our translations done way too late and later learned that a large Japanese tournament was also being held the same weekend. That coupled with the fact we were not able to confirm a tangible prize meant that we weren't able to get a Japanese attendance. Worse still, this became a fact too late in planning, and we could not change the the time as people had already planned their schedules around it.

We also need to find a way to limit delays as much as possible. I wanted to be as accomodating as possible, but today proved that there are some delays that are just not worth accomodating for. From here on out, we will be working on a ruleset to limit the time in between matches as much as possible as well as penalize teams who start their matches late due to lack of communication from one end.

Concerning lag rules themselves, we don't have a strict lag rule as lag itself is a very tenuous subject that needs to be handled case by case. There are two general guidelines in reporting very bad lag: you or other members are teleporting around the map and you are experiencing constant disconnections. In these cases, please report these as soon as possible. We do have a rule limiting replays based on disconnects however, where a team can only replay once per match and only if the DC occurred in the first minute of the match. This we've been doing our best to enforce, but it's hard when teams are not communicating with us these issues.

Our plans for future events is to continue to tighten up the rules as much as possible to prevent major delays from happening as often. If you have any suggestions as to what can be done or changed, please let us know below.

Thank you for participating in our events, and congratulations to both NSTC and CoolDown for a gripping Grand Finals match.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
I'm used to races on SRL taking a year to start so the wait was whatever (for me)
Other than that, it was good.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
Good tournament, just like all others in the series. Some of the groups seem stacked with good teams while others appear easier to get out of, but there's only so much that can be done.

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
Start 2h earlier, swiss and a time limit for each round would be much better in my opinion. With a system like swiss dropouts would not affect the tournament that much, 2h earlier for european players (it was a real hell for some of us to stay up this long...) and some time limits like "if the first match did not start after 10 minutes the hosting team/the team availiable wins" and "after one match you are only allowed to delay the next match to a maximum of 2 minutes", so in case they want to sub out or something like that it does not take an eternity. If the next BB is like this, I dont think european teams will participate anymore...

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
The tournament MUST start earlier if you want to do a 1-day tournament with that long of a format.. and if you really want to accommodate Japan that badly, then you're going to have to use a shorter format, or make it a 2-day tournament.Teams that have to play past 5 in the morning to accommodate another region is unfair and unreasonable.
And yes, you must enforce harsher time limits, and make clearer rules on some matters that WILL be disputed, such as lag rules.
Another thing that would be nice is a more organized Discord server. More text channels pls..

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
Reading the OP I think you have a good idea what didn't go right. It puts us an awkward position when a tournament keeps going and going and you know tomorrow morning there's another but don't want to drop out. It ended around 5:40AM for me, Samu and Nikey. I didn't really expect a 8 hour tournament even if I knew it was going to take a long time. I think you just need a staff member or two that just ask around how matches are progressing. Like maybe even one per group? I have the feeling that it was again a couple of teams ruining it for everyone with stupid delays. Also I think you might want to consider a dedicated Discord server if you do another. Hypest is just too messy with a billion channels. Also have #match-results at the start. Oh and map repeats! We have so many variety in map modes. Make sure everything is presented equally.

Yet overall I'm satisfied with the tournament. I had good games and if you can keep things progressing smoothly for the next one then it's all good.

TacosConCarne

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TacosConCarne
I remember one of Sendou's earlier tweets and i think it would help a lot if you made group stage 2/3 while the bracket portion 3/5
A strong team will most likely roll through the weaker teams, so that one less match from 3-0 to 2-0 can save a lot
Bracket slots have been earned so reverse sweeps are indeed possible
Watching NSTC's run on Ikanakama cup, i think select mode and random map would be good for groups, loser can pick the next mode as a sort of counterpick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom