• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Brexit Splatfest: Remain vs. Leave

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Come on, isn't the British referendum to leave the European Union basically a Splatfest?

Two sides with a lot of literature/fanart on both sides with bright colours on both sides and no third parties.

http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

And they're close, too!

I just don't know how to differentiate Popularity and Wins...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Edit: There was a dumb joke here. Considering how serious this matter actually is, it's gone now.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They say the UK is going to fall apart badly because of this... if that's the case then I'm glad I decided against going to live there. The immediate conclusion that it's going to become a Neo-Nazi haven seems a bit unfounded, but what do I know?

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
They say the UK is going to fall apart badly because of this... if that's the case then I'm glad I decided against going to live there. The immediate conclusion that it's going to become a Neo-Nazi haven seems a bit unfounded, but what do I know?
I think the losing side here is just trying to scare people.

Either way, it's a great opportunity to buy low (and then sell high later).

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Either way, the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
This is funny... cause I can take a political joke... but it's getting pretty bad for the whole world, the economy here is getting worse... and IM IN THE US

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I think the losing side here is just trying to scare people.

Either way, it's a great opportunity to buy low (and then sell high later).
What do you mean losing side? The "remain" portion of the country? Because the "Leave" side only got the votes they did because of fear mongering lol.

And it's funny you say "buy low sell high" considering not even 24 hours later the GBP plummeted to an all time low. Them leaving was easily the stupidest thing they've decided to do. Not to mention, the initial reason they wanted to leave, immigration, can't be prevented unless they're planning on being a completely self sustaining country. Which they won't be with how atrocious their economy is only 24 hours after their decision. They'll be pleading to go back in no time flat. Calling it now.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
What do you mean losing side? The "remain" portion of the country? Because the "Leave" side only got the votes they did because of fear mongering lol.

And it's funny you say "buy low sell high" considering not even 24 hours later the GBP plummeted to an all time low. Them leaving was easily the stupidest thing they've decided to do. Not to mention, the initial reason they wanted to leave, immigration, can't be prevented unless they're planning on being a completely self sustaining country. Which they won't be with how atrocious their economy is only 24 hours after their decision. They'll be pleading to go back in no time flat. Calling it now.
...Well, yeah, Remain lost. What do you mean, "What do you mean losing side"? Of course they lost the vote. Are you even paying attention?

Yeah, why do you think I said buy low sell high? Because stuff is dropping now, and they'll return to normalcy later.
This is a temporary shock. What, you think the GBP is going to permanently stay there or only drop?

When the Euro crashes again and Germany has to bail out the whole EU again, Britain's drop won't look so bad.

That immigration line doesn't make any sense at all.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol, you'd think for starting this thread, you'd know what you're talking about. You clearly don't have even the slightest inkling of how economics works do you? Not even going to continue this.
I'd have a better conversation with my Rum & Coke.

NNID
benimarucollider
Blame all of that to capitalism. That's what's bringing the world down to ****.
Better take it out like Old Yeller.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
immigration, can't be prevented unless they're planning on being a completely self sustaining country.
I was confused by that as well. Even w/o the EU, they still have policies that facilitate immigration from former colonies regardless of any EU border agreements. A lot of my family living in the UK rant about the number of people coming from Pakistan. That's not going to change because they left the EU.

Fine, you're all globalists who have total faith in the EU. Got it. >_>
I studied International Affairs as an undergrad and have dealt with the subject quite a bit in my grad studies. Let me give you some perspective.

Globalization has made the world far more interconnected. Technology and economic factors that make it easier to transport people, things, and ideas. The UK is trying to go "back to the future," where they can exert a level of control over outside influences affecting their country. Problem is, that level of control hasn't existed since the early 1900's (mid-1900's at the latest). They are swimming against the tide rather than letting it push them forward.

Political borders are phasing out because the political institutions that created and enforce them are losing their monopoly on social identity. People still have a national identity to an extent, but that is slowly yielding to social and cultural identities. We are seeing this in the US, even despite the high levels of nationalism here. More and more people are identifying as Conservative, LGBT, Christian, Feminist, Ethnic, etc first and American second. This process is still in its early phases in the US, but it will continue barring a dramatic event that re-establishes our national identity as dominant. Even then, that will only be a temporary thing.

New "soft borders" are being drawn alongside cultural and social fissures rather than political boundaries. The EU was (and still is) a fascinating experiment in how to harmonize national boundaries with more fluid social/cultural ones. Member states have national governments, but also accept authority outside of their nationality. The economic aspect also important. Before, countries had to exercise control over resources in order to reap the benefits. The EU allows member countries benefit from resources within the greater union rather than just their own territory.

By breaking away, the UK is forfeited these advantages and to preserve their national identity. This is simply not realistic, and untenable in my opinion. Even if they manage to police their borders, foreign culture, norms, and ideas will still flow into the UK via the internet, economics, and other cultural exports. They will still find their country's domestic norms and values shaped by the outside world.

The EU recognized that globalization is at a point of no return. They try to adjust so their countries remain stable under the cultural and social pressures of outside norms and ideas flowing in. The UK's decision shows that there are too many people who think they can return to a former time in history they are comfortable with (not unlike the US). They either want to hide from globalization, or they reject it outright. For centuries, the UK influenced the outside world. Now, it is being influenced and that scares people. The EU carefully waded into the shallow end of the lake by having national and super-national union leadership, open borders, and special trade agreements. The UK was fine with this so long as it didn't actually have to get wet. The water rose up to its ankles, so it wanted out. Sooner or later it will get wet though. It can either wade in like the EU, or get thrown in by globalization.

Sorry for the long post, but globalization is changing a lot about the world. It's important to understand the wide range of factors it influences. If you want to see globalization at work, just look at how weather conditions in Australia, Pakistan, and Russia led to the Arab Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom